running a tmaxx as a 2 wheel drive

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester0178

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was wondering if anyone has ran their tmaxx as a 2 wheel drive and if so how does it handle compared to 4 wheel drive?

I've run the savage 2 wheel drive.. donuts are to easy.. doenst want to steer well.. but seems faster.. all depends on where you drive and what you do with it.. if you like donuts and wheelies then 2 wheel drive will give you more of those.. but the truck is made to run 4 wheel drive so your handleing will suffer..

not really with the t maxx, as the sportmaxx is 2 wheel drive from the factory, so the chassis works equally well as 2 wheel drive, is better off road 4 wheel drive though, as with any car, buggy or truck

If you want it to handle better, then you should try a lighter weight lube in the spider gears.

thats what I did and it steers on a dime.

(proline standard size bow-ties)

I have an S-Maxx (2 wheel drive) then added the 4wd kit. The biggest difference I noticed is wheelies...Can't keep the front on the ground with 2wd.

I converted my Maxx to 2 wheel drive for a while, it was fun throwing donuts at will, but definitely better as a 4wd truck.

My Girlfreind's S-maxx Refuses To Keep The Front Tires Down, Even 1/4 Throttle And Really Rich.

My Sirio .18 I just put in has messed up something either in the diff, or outdrive on the front of my Maxx. I think I'll reshim the back, and make it 2wd for a while.

i think the only difference is that it will want to wheelie more ofton

lyle

It shouldnt want to wheelie more often... Since the back end will have the same amount of power with 4wd, it should be about the same, with the only difference being the weight in the front.

It shouldnt want to wheelie more often... Since the back end will have the same amount of power with 4wd, it should be about the same, with the only difference being the weight in the front.

making it easier to lift into a wheelie...wat ever I'm probly wrong any way

Actually, the power lost in the drive train and from the front tires touching the ground is pretty significant. I had an orion wasp 18 in my maxx with 4wd. Like you, I had a diff fry on me, so I figured I'd fiddle with a 2wd truck just to see how I liked it.

4wd temps were in the 250-270 range all the time and power was so-so. 2wd (after removing the front diff and axles completely), my temps dropped about 30 degrees and I got more frequent wheelies. It won't turn or climb crap nearly as well, but it was more fun since I didn't have to worry about the engine running so hot. Plus, getting the occasional wheelie was cool and the 2wd handling made it more fun to drive. It was a little less stable and braking wasn't as good, but it was still fun.

I kept it 2wd from that point on. The engine ran cooler and the single diff in the rear lasted quite a bit longer. I think it was due to the fact that it would spin when accellerating instead of grabbing. Also, when braking, the front diff takes all the punishment. With 2wd, the rear tires just slide instead of hammering the drive train to death.

Last edited:
Anytime I'm forced to run 2wd I end up blowin a rear diff cup. Of course I run a .26 but it's never proven to be a problem when in 4wd. I considered upgrading to alluminum cups but I figured that would be a waste since the stockers seem to hold up fine as long as I keep it 4wd.

The braking is much worse in 2WD too. You have 2 wheels stoppin instead of 4.

Anyone ever try doing front wheel drive?

Yep... sucks. The tires balloon all up and you can't steer to save your freaking life. I don't think the weight sits right on these things to run front wheel drive very well. Maybe if you had sway bars and really stiff front springs...

I didn't do it on purpose. My rear center axle snapped on my 21 maxx when I had it. I finished out the tank and it wasn't very fun...

.21Rc10GT said:

I would think it would get more power to the rear wheels since its not having to turn the front drive shaft/Gears/axles which will cause some "drag" to the engine in turn lossing power. For example my Chevy Truck in 4 wheel drive feels like it has lost quite a bit of power and uses more gas since its turning more parts , unless that is I drop her down in 4 low then you better hang on lmao, you hit the throttle and it takes of like a rocket, well untill I blew out the tranny :doh: jmo! :smoke:

well i will find out just what its like as soon as i make my extention for my receiver pack and finish puitting it all together again ,
as for front wheel drive as olds says it sucks ,runs like a i dont know what but goes nowhere
IMO:i would think loosing the weight in the front via removing the front diff and axles it will be very rear heavy and wheelie constantly ,we will find out this weekend .lol

ok i just ran a tank thru it and its just insane ,with the OS .18 and no front diff you have to guve it throttle with a very ver ylitew touch or it just wheelies,
will have to look into getting some stick on lead wieghts onto the front skid till i get my other diff rebuilt

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I am running 2wd right now. The only thing I dont like is the braking, it sucks.

it will also be very hard to drive in 2wd becuase you now have to gentle on the throttle so that yo udont spin out like a 2wd stadium truck. I used to always break front shafts that went to the front diff to make it 4wd and once it broke it was so much harder to drive. imo stick with 4wd just for eas of driving