Powerlock Malware

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

My laptop seems to have gotten part of or all of the Powerlock ransomware bug. It is a shared laptop and at least for now I can't figure out how to get rid of it. When the pop ups galore warning of a flash or java update popped up I simply rebooted because I know that one click in those windows and I am screwed. I updated and ran malwarebytes and it found nothing. I ran a virus scan... which showed up clean. I ran ccleaner and removed all orphaned files and ran the reg cleaner as well. I can open a website fine... then when I click on a link in that website I get all the popups again warning me to update java... but the windows are a good facsimile but obviously frauds. I don't see any evidence of file corruption or odd marker files in my directories... any idea of how to remove it? Thanks

Tom

Have you tried MalWare Bytes, yet?

You might also try AdAware. It's a decent malware removal tool.

You might also try AdAware. It's a decent malware removal tool.

I will give it a try. The problem is I am not sure if I am actually infected yet... the software is trying but I still have not clicked on the window yet so my files are not encrypted... yet.. I just have to find out the file that is executing the popups and I am golden.

Go to the start button, then 'RUN' and type msconfig. Open it and click the start tab and see if anything related to those popups in in the start folder. Turn them off and reboot.

Go to the start button, then 'RUN' and type msconfig. Open it and click the start tab and see if anything related to those popups in in the start folder. Turn them off and reboot.

Thanks bro... I will take a look. I didn't look at it last night. After work yesterday I didn't want anything to do with computers so I took the night off. I will try it again tonight. Thanks

Tom

Back