UPS privacy violations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixtysixdeuce

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have recently discovered that UPS is using personal information that they should not have access to, including family genealogy and motor vehicle registrations, to "confirm identity". This is a huge violation of privacy by a corporate entity, and should not be tolerated.

I only discovered this when attempting to register so I could file a claim on a lost package.

The use of this kind of information is not disclosed in their privacy policies, and even if it were, they are obtaining it without consent given by checking any "agree to terms" box. God only knows how they're getting it and what else they have.

Their CS supervisor hung up on me when confronted about it.

Maybe this won't bother you, but it does bother me. I see it as unacceptable. I have reported with the FTC, and am talking to my state AG to see if these violations are prosecutable.

Just thought ya'll might wanna know before you give UPS any money.

I work for a large company and one thing I have learned is......when they cheat they have a team of lawyers telling them how to get away with cheating and said lawyers are very good at what they do!

If they aren't divulging that they are gathering that information, then how did you find out that they are doing so? Not trying to argue, just curious where you got the information about this.

For the record, UPS hands every competing service their tails in my area, and my UPS guys rock! Sucks that you guys have had bad experiences.

For the record, UPS hands every competing service their tails in my area, and my UPS guys rock! Sucks that you guys have had bad experiences.

We have a few that work my area and they have always been great! I have known one of them from when I was a teen working at a fried chicken joint, he came in for lunch almost every day.

I was thinking the same thing when I signed up for MY Choice UPS so I can change route of packages..etc Damn driver keeps dropping it at the wrong doorstep.
They made me confirm my fathers info..lol (he has same name)
Another company did same thing. I guesss the benefit is that the chances of someone taking your identity is a bit tougher...

Also, I stopped using UPS a long time ago when they demanded to know exactly what I was shipping every time. I shipped tires and the woman wanted to know the classification. I said that's your job and she didnt want to serve me. I have used FeEx ever since. Never an issue AND a bit cheaper as well.

I think credit checks for car insurance is nonsense too while we are discussing privacy issue's. What does credit have to do with driving? If your driving record is clean, then there is no reason why you shouldnt have good rate. They say it's to protect against fraud...pffft. BS

Back