Can't Decide between 2.5R and 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooner8

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought my T-Maxx about 4 years ago with the .15 engine in it. I am going to buy a replacement engine but I can't decide between the 2.5R and the 3.3. I know the 3.3 is a lot more powerful but i am afraid it will be too powerful and break things more easily. I am thinking for my long term situation. All of my friends just got Revos and T-Maxx's all with the 2.5R so i was also thinking i dont want to blow them out of the water all the time. Anyones thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

How about an OS 18 CV-R? Kind of a in-between, but more reliable than either.

Although, you would need a new header/pipe and it's a pullstart.

olds97_lss said:
How about an OS 18 CV-R? Kind of a in-between, but more reliable than either.

Although, you would need a new header/pipe and it's a pullstart.

Ditto...although I'm not a pull start fan.

But... with an OS, it's only one or two pulls and it's running. Then you don't have to deal with a starter to carry around either.

I have the 3.3 and it has been super reliable (starts every time 3rd pull) but the down side is I can't keep the front end even close to the ground. I just seem to rip bodies off at the flick of a finger dangit!

mrwill said:
I have the 3.3 and it has been super reliable (starts every time 3rd pull) but the down side is I can't keep the front end even close to the ground. I just seem to rip bodies off at the flick of a finger dangit!

Thought for sure you'd suggest a Wasp.28....(and twist goes the knife!)

wrong man, just plain wrong (look in the savage thread for my use)

maxxking3.3

i heard of your engine situation. i would go for the 3.3 its not just more powerful but it allows easy start in the cold weather. plus it does not eat up plugs or the gas

All of my friends just got Revos and T-Maxx's all with the 2.5R so i was also thinking i dont want to blow them out of the water all the time.

What is the problem with that?!?!?

I have a 3.3 and I love it, it came in my truck though so it was built for that motor. I don't have any advice on any other motors because I don't have any experience with them. I love my 3.3 though- plenty of power and easy to tune.

If you have to choose from the two go with the 3.3 you will get more power. If you have the money to buy the 3.3 hold off a get the OS you will be getting a better engine. I may be a little late on this post.

Kenny

Get a 3.3 and just smoke your friends. Its like i always tell my friends about dirtbikes if you get a 450 it dosent mean you have to use the powere its just there when you need it.

Bryson

Update- wise it would prolly be smart to go with a 3.3 more expensive but worth it (?). I sticked to the 2.5 engines yet, can't get fascinated with all that power, because at some point even in maine room and space becomes an issue. I had very nice experience with the 2.5 and would recommend that, coming form a .15
When you cook it down, damage @ 45MPH is probably the same as @ 55MPH, but you may not have to walk so far to pick the trash up :eek:)
REVOME

if you're going from a .15 and not the trx then the 3.3 would surely eat the diffs,i've been trying to find out myself as i'm running a 2.5r that keeps up with savage 25s all day long as i've put my efforts into lightening and strength,let us all know how it goes

Back