Revo 3.3 break in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon2

Nitro ASSpired!!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok after a whole week of looking at this rig, I finally went out and broke her in. To my surprise the 3.3 actually got stuck at TDC more than I expected. I went to Hobbypeople due to time restrictions today. I got a can of 20% Traxxas Top Fuel. Not my normal cup of tea but when I finish this can I will change it to 30 percent Odonnells. It is just easier to break in with 20% due to the increase in oil content. Now the first tank was pretty sluggish as expected. I followed the traxxas break in procedure for the dirst 5 tanks. If anyone wants the actual procedure I will post it but for the time I finished the 5 tanks then I ran another 2 tanks at the same conditions.

Today's weather was pretty cool so I had to run a sock on the head to keep temps up above 200 during break in. After I kept it on since I noticed that removing it actually made it run crappier since the head cooled down to fast and ran real fat like on the HSN. A total of 9 tanks.

Funny thing was I teaching my son to ride his birthday present, an electric dirtbike. Prett cool, but while doing this my Revo got hit by my boy. Nothing bad just hit it a little and that was that. He on the other hand ended up over the handlebars and a hurt ego. He got right up and started again. He now wants to ride it more. He also wants to drive one of my rigs. SOOOO.... I will set him up with the LST for the timebeing and cut the throttle EPA to a minimum. BUT as for the Revo 3.3, I think this engine is going to be a screamer. I can already feel the power wanting to take control. Haven't got it to shift into second gear but for what it does now, it is fast. I am hoping to get another opprtunity to driver her again during the week but I am planning on getting to it the next weekend. I will post up pics of my rig soon. I will be getting my upgrades soon, Crazy Nut Racing 23mm adapters, Proline wabash 40 series with 40 series Crimefighters.I also have the P3 Rockers and pushrods coming along with the FOC kit and Hex head conversion kit.RPM stuff will come as needed, but I am looking to get a different pipe.

Updates and pics to come..

Thanks

Jon

Glad to see you got it broke in, wait until you tune it. I'm anxious to see it with the wabash 40's and crimefighters....I'm jealous.

OK.. Ignor the PM I sent you. Glad to see your getting her up and running. I was worried there for awhile when you said you were going to wait for parts before brecking her in. Sounds like its coming along good despite the sticking at TDC. Your boy sounds like a true racer! Getting flipped over the handlebars:eek:pps: and then wants to get back on...Sweet!:thumbup: You raised him will. Can't wait to see some pics of that thing. Send them soon.

OK well I took the Revo out for its first bash session.

This is what I thought.

Jumping: This rig jumps nose down everytime if you don't give her gas till after you leave the ramp. If not she always ends up on her lid. I am hoping that if do the single servo conversion, I will lose some weight in the front and alleviate this problem.

Durablilty: After several attempts to jump her and running over to flip her over I thought for sure I broke something good. To my surprise the only thing not the same was the exhaust. Actually the Exhaust Mount. It actually came loose and was allowing the exhaust to rattle. Other than that it held up.

Performance:

Speed: I am not too happy with the 3.3 and I really mean it. The shift point on the Revo is way too late. I am going to adjust it so it shifts about 2-3 seconds from start. I am still used to my LST going balls to the wall every time I gun it. This one is like balls being pushed to the wall. Not happy with it IMO. I expected more from the 3.3. What pissed me off more is that there was a guy at the place I was running and he said" the 3.3 will smoke that"....

Handling: I think that from the factory the shock set up is way too soft. I like the ass to sit up higher than where it was. Too low for my taste. The tires were not that great for dirt IMO. Grass and asphalt/concrete are fine but the loose dirt it slide everywhere. I was so used to it after a while that I was practicing drifting more.

Extra Notes:

THe EZ Start is cool and works way better than the one in my OG Maxx 2.5 but I want to take it off ASAP and use the RD box. The reverse using the OPTI Drive is awesome. The best reverse system I have used. I have uses the MGT and LST and the TMAXX. THe New Opti Drive is flawless. It always shifted when I wanted it to.

Overall opinion: I am not sure. I was so excited to drive it and expected to get more I am left with wantiing more.I am thinking about cleaning her up and just selling her. I am not all that pleased.IMHO of course.

Man, that sucks you're not happy with your revo. I would hate to have spent the money on it and be so let down.

How much fuel do you have through it? I had to adjust the shift point and change the springs but the speed is awesome IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe its just me since I drive all the other MTs that have big blocks. I spent some money on those and am happy with them

I am thinking there is a clutch issue that I want to upgrade. I am not sure as I have not checked but I am gong to look for an aluminum clutch set up that is made for the Revo.

If I can't find anything decent I will sell it. No need to keep her when I know there is someone with not the same expectations as I do that will enjoy her.

SMaxxin said:
How much fuel do you have through it? I had to adjust the shift point and change the springs but the speed is awesome IMO.
almost a gallon. I know that its not fully broken according to my standards but I am not sure if it is worth it. I just think out of the whole I am not impressed with it. My XXX NT has more grunt off the line.

jon2 said:
I just think out of the whole I am not impressed with it. My XXX NT has more grunt off the line.

I think there is a problem somewhere, mine will spin the heck out of all 4 off the line on concrete or grass. I'm pretty sure I will have to make adjustments once I mount the new tires, the Talons suck on any surface.

SMaxxin said:
I think there is a problem somewhere, mine will spin the heck out of all 4 off the line on concrete or grass. I'm pretty sure I will have to make adjustments once I mount the new tires, the Talons suck on any surface.

I am going to try the slipper clutch and see if that improves it. So far I am leaning on sellling the rig. Out of the box....not impressed.

Sorry to hear that jon. You were so pumped at the RCX show. I know how you feel bro. You helped me thru my Problem with the Mammoth. Hang in there alittle while longer, try what you think will take care of the problems. And keep asking people what they have done or do to theirs to get the punch out of it. I hate to see you bail this soon in to it when you had your heart set on it for so long. But I do know the feeling buddy.

ttyl

Hey Dan,

For a noob I am sure it would impress but I have had quite a few rigs and it doesn't impress me. I know I was all high from excitement. I even took the thing slow for the first 16 tanks. I broke her in nice and easy. Granted I think it won't be fully done till the gallon. I am still pondering the whole thing. Thanks though for the advice.

ttyl buddy

Jon I can assure you that there is something up with the slipper. My 3.3 is stupid fast. With the stock gearing I had to feather into the throttle because the front end would come up on command. It would also bring up the front when shifting into second gear. Another note...all the pros are using the stock clutch with any mill that they use, so I doubt its the clutch.

The way I fixed the nose dive issue was to add a wing and wing mount. It flies level now.

vbgagnon said:
Jon I can assure you that there is something up with the slipper. My 3.3 is stupid fast. With the stock gearing I had to feather into the throttle because the front end would come up on command. It would also bring up the front when shifting into second gear. Another note...all the pros are using the stock clutch with any mill that they use, so I doubt its the clutch.

The way I fixed the nose dive issue was to add a wing and wing mount. It flies level now.
Did you mess with your slipper at all?

I had problems with the nut on the slipper.

They say to tighten it down then back off 1/4-1/2 turn. I would do that but the nut would loosten itself.

Geez Jon2, I can't imagine what it was like to be your wife while you two were dating! As quick as you are to ace your new Revo, must've been hell on the poor girl if she ever got a pimple or something! :jk:

That's too bad about your new Revo giving you fits, though! Hopefully you get it worked out and running good moving on!

vbgagnon said:
I had problems with the nut on the slipper.

They say to tighten it down then back off 1/4-1/2 turn. I would do that but the nut would loosten itself.
I will see what happends. If this doesn't improve a WHOLE lot its getting cleaned up and put up for sale. I just expected more power from it to begin with. Having to notice the power struggle myself and then someone tell me.."the 3.3 will smoke that" just pissed me off.

Monkey Wrench said:
Geez Jon2, I can't imagine what it was like to be your wife while you two were dating! As quick as you are to ace your new Revo, must've been hell on the poor girl if she ever got a pimple or something! :jk:

That's too bad about your new Revo giving you fits, though! Hopefully you get it worked out and running good moving on!
LMAO my wife is perfect! I love my wife no less than I did the first time.

My Revo on the other hand.... All the hype I got excited on and than to see this just brings the whole experience to a low level. Go figure.

Just a thought. Have you checked to make sure your getting full throttle? I had a hard time getting full throttle on mine, had to maxx out the epa to get it. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but something doesn't seem right. I too have owned big block mt's, the 3.3 doesn't have as much torque but with the weight difference in the trucks, it's pretty close.

SMaxxin said:
Just a thought. Have you checked to make sure your getting full throttle? I had a hard time getting full throttle on mine, had to maxx out the epa to get it. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but something doesn't seem right. I too have owned big block mt's, the 3.3 doesn't have as much torque but with the weight difference in the trucks, it's pretty close.
I did check that and it was fine. I removed the airfilter neck to see the opening and it was fuilly open. The only thing I had to tweak on my Revo were the brakes. There was none when I applied the brake. I adjusted that on the Revo and then fine tuned it on the XS3. I haven't tried to get it to improve on the power. I have just cleaned it out and done regular maintenance. Kids have my time at night. More than likely I will get to it Saturday earliest is Thursday. I am not kidding, if this is what I can expect..I am selling her and getting a truggy. I already have a strong LST, MGT and Savage.

jon2 said:
I am not kidding, if this is what I can expect..I am selling her and getting a truggy. I already have a strong LST, MGT and Savage.

I hear you bro. I know you had high expectations as did I and I hate to hear that your having these problems when I am very impressed with the power. I just mounted a set of Sportmaxx tires on Hurricane wheels (thanks VB) plus the tweaking on the exhaust and I'm getting wheelies on command. On concrete it shifts into second while spinning the tires. This is why I think something has to be wrong, maybe you got a bum mill with yours??? BTW the exhaust mod did help but I ruined it, can't run a full tank without making needle adjustments.

My mill really gets going at 245-260 degrees