Big Bore Shock Setup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmileyRacing

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got a set of Traxxas Big Bore shocks and looking for recommendations on the setup (3 hole piston, 2 hole piston, oil wt, etc). I am running dual rate springs and mostly jump and bash with the truck. It's a little heavier then stock right now with aluminum braces, skids, and a Picco .21 . Within the next couple of weeks I'll be putting in the bulkless setup with a Fastlane .21 conversion chassis, would the setup be much different for that?

corrected spelling..

Last edited:
I dont know what the setup should be, but i know you are going to like the Fastlane stuff. Are you getting the 1/8th scale bulkless or regular? The .21 conversion is lightweight, so your shock setup should work fine.

.21Rc10GT said:
I dont know what the setup should be, but i know you are going to like the Fastlane stuff. Are you getting the 1/8th scale bulkless or regular? The .21 conversion is lightweight, so your shock setup should work fine.

I was looking into the 1/8 but I can't seem to find what I'll need for the gears, bearings, etc..
Fastlane does have an aluminum carrier with 3mm screws and a modified ring gear to replace the stock 2mm screws. That was the direction I was planning on heading in, but if I can get some info on the 1/8 stuff, I'd love to do that.

Shock setup is totally dependent on your driving conditions and driving style. There is no One Good Setup.

If you can tell us what your like or don't like about what you have now, and the driving conditions we can make some educated guesses as what you may want to change.

A good starting point is 30wt with 2 hole or 40wt with 3.

I'm just looking for the truck to stop bottoming out on big jumps. I am replacing the stock T-Maxx shocks becasue I am sick of blowing caps off of them.

I'll also add, that where I ride can be rather bumpy - I need the truck to have some give, and not be too tight.

Last edited:
I think UE has what you would need. They carry 6 and 8 spider 1/8th scale diffs... Check em out.

Yep, that is one bullet proof setup. It comes with all the bearings and stuff needed... Awesome!!!

get 7.5 kyosho diffs...you aint crushing those w/ only a .21....and why are you getting the .21 conversion if you have a picco P2 already...you'll get tighter turns and quicker takeoffs leaving it stock length...not to mention it will shock th e hell out of peopleto see a 1/10 scale truck whoop their ass.....my maxx is set up pretty much like you are descibing except the longer chassis....it KILLS revos...I am not too happy w/ the picco engine though...it's a beotch to tune.....

The engine runs great, but tuning is a pain. I find myself running it a bit rich when the tank is full, and it really starts to run great when I'm down to about 1/2 tank. I did have some initial problems, but found there were some cracks in the pressure line from the muffler to the tank.

I check out the Kyosho Diffs, any money I can save would be more money for my 1:1.

I was thinking of the conversion to try to keep the front wheels on the ground, the power is almost rediculous. When it's hooked up it will (like you said before Plaid) flip over shifting and just slide on the roof until it stops.

wootay30 said:
how can i post a thread
Go to the forum you want to post it in. (such as TMaxx) On the page with all the thread titles, look at the top left corner there, and hit the button marked "New Thread".
Put in the title of the thread, then click in the text box and post your question.
Welcome to RCNT. You'll be amazed how much info you can get here.

7.5 kyosho diffs fit on a Maxx? Do you need anything special to make them fit?

I run Traxxas Big Bores with dual rate springs. I have it sitting as low as it will get. I use 40 wt oil with 2 hole piston up front and 60 wt oil with 2 hole piston on the rear. It soaks up the bumps and handle very good but it will bottom out on big jumps.

You need the Fastlane or UE 1/8th scale bulkless...