Durability of the Monster Gt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have had my monster gt for about a 3 weeks now. I have run it enough to give some opinions about its durability compared to its competition. So far the steering servo has failed, receiver failed, and today I crashed into a curb and broke the upper and lower arms, bent the turnbuckle, bent the upper arm mount. I dont think I hit the curb that hard. I have owned my Savage for over a year and my T-maxx for 2 years and have never broken a suspension arm. I have had worse crashes with my Savage and T-maxx and was surpised how easily this truck broke the suspension arm. What makes it worse now is that no one in my local area carries any parts for the Monster Gt yet. Even tower hobbies does not have the suspension arms in stock yet. I placed my first order from Stormer Hobbies I hope thier service is as good as tower hobbies. Has anyone ever orderd from Stomer Hobbies? Any one having any issues with the Monster Gt? Let me know.

I have ordered from Stormer and have not had any problems. I live in CA and I usually get my order within 5 days from them.

I ordered from them before and got good service. The only thing is that they're way up in the north central part of the country and I'm down in FL so it took a while to get my stuff via ups ground.

I have had my MGT for a month now. I have broke the front and rear bumper/skid plates. Not bad considering my buddy that I was running with broke his motor mount and bulkhead on his t-maxx trying to do the same stuff that I was doing at the time. Better than a t-maxx, I think

SEEMS TO ME, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE, SOMETHINGS GOING TO GO WRONG WITH IT. I HAVE A SAVAGE 25. MY MOTOR WENT OUT ONLY BECAUSE OF A BACKPLATE THAT WASN'T LOCKTITENED. MY FRIEND HAS A SAVAGE 21, RAN IT INTO A CURB AND BENT IT IN HALF. HE ALSO HAS A T-MAXX, HASN'T RAN SINCE HE GOT IT. SO I SAY WHO CARES WHAT YOU HAVE, SHUT UP, RUN IT, AND HAVE FUN. IF IT BREAKS FIX IT, QUIT CRYING, AND GO OUT AND HAVE SOME MORE FUN. HELL IT'S ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN ANYWAY, ISN'T IT? :beer:

Absolutely.............it's all about having a good time with whatever nitro (or electric) r/c you are running, but at the same time those of us who are in this forum quiet a bit are always looking forward to any new (or old) information that may help all of us in continuing to having a good time, by the way, if you could restrain yourself from using the CAPS LOCK it would be appreciated, I'm pretty sure there is something about that in the rules and regs, not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to pass on some friendly advise for future refference.

Breaking and fixing parts is all part of the hobby, just sux when you have to repair and the LHS doesn't have the parts you need. Oh well. I know that the r/c cars are supoosed to be strong but walls, curbs and other inanimate objects are stronger :flaming: Don't be too abusive with the r/c if you don't want to do too many repairs. Only way to avoid it. But then again, what fun would that be? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Breaking stuff is half the fun, the other half is fixxing them. Just remember, IF you dont break something, your noy playing wuth it right:banana:

Originally posted by Road Rage
Absolutely.............it's all about having a good time with whatever nitro (or electric) r/c you are running, but at the same time those of us who are in this forum quiet a bit are always looking forward to any new (or old) information that may help all of us in continuing to having a good time, by the way, if you could restrain yourself from using the CAPS LOCK it would be appreciated, I'm pretty sure there is something about that in the rules and regs, not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to pass on some friendly advise for future refference.

:sorry: Sorry about the CAPS LOCK Road Rage and thanks for the advice. I checked out your gallery and it looks like you live in some awesome country.

I do understand what it's like to wreck and repair. I had a RC10L at one time (long time ago) and my son ran it into a curb. Over a $100 bucks later it was back on the road. I have always figured it was funner to drive and crash, than bitch and moan. So, go fast, crash, and play dead. Look at the bright side. If you break something, it's time to get that shiney new part you've wanted.

Originally posted by Road Rage

:cool: By the way Road Rage, who, what, were did you get the pull cord thingy majig for your body pins?

Last edited:
Originally posted by rptorman

I checked out your gallery and it looks like you live in some awesome country.

I do understand what it's like to wreck and repair. I had a RC10L at one time (long time ago) and my son ran it into a curb. Over a $100 bucks later it was back on the road. I have always figured it was funner to drive and crash, than bitch and moan. So, go fast, crash, and play dead. Look at the bright side. If you break something, it's time to get that shiney new part you've wanted.

:cool: By the way Road Rage, who, what, were did you get the pull cord thingy majig for your body pins?

Yea I live in the deselate area of southeast SouthDakota LOL.........but yea it has some good bashing spots! As for the cord things for the body pins, I got them from my LHS for $3.95, set of 2 and 8 extra body clips and come in a variety of colors, they are made by Dubro Racing (part number 2248)............yea it always sux when ya crash and burn and find a broken or masively tweaked part that you end up replacing, but it is defintely a great excuse to get the new shiney part..........so what kind of rig are you running now?

OK I just found out that the MGT had some "recalls that weren't announced very well like the savage backplate screws backing out due to the incorrect screw being used. The Rear CVA shaft pin comes out due to the set screw not properly prepped and loctited. The set crew shoulf have been de greased and then washed then dried before applying loctite. To make a long story short I broke mine. They are allowing owners to send their cva in WITH A RECEIPT to for a replacement. I myself feel that the flat spot on the pin was made too deep and made the pin more susceptible to breaking IMO of course. Does anyone know who makes a 17mm pin that I can buy in packs so I can modify them?Or any suggestions?

Back