buy a GT in pieces?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My son really wants a gas truck like his pop. The problem is I don't have $300 laying around to buy him one.

Can I buy a GT in pieces? I'm looking at towerhobbies and everything starts at $200. Does a product exist where you can buy just the frame, for example? I realize spending a little bit of money here and there is going to cost more in the end, but it won't be a big hit to the bank account.

I was thinking like $75-100 at a time. I don't imagine any one part exceeding that budget, but what do I know. I'm a newbie. :D

any suggestions?

-rob

update: I did find some stuff. if I wanted to clone my maximum ST, I found a chassis:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVG82&P=7

I suppose I could find everything and just duplicate what I see on my truck. (maybe buy the better parts)

Last edited:
Well Rob What I would recommend is that you do one of two things. One get your self an Identical truck so that you have the same parts.
Or Two I would actually recommned pop step up to a shall we say higher end product and let Jr. have the Duratrax. If you want I dentical then just look on ebay man you can pick up a duratrax for pennies...X

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3119443067&category=19168

You can find some good deals on E-Bay or even at your local hobby shop. If your careful you will be able to find some great used equipment. You may even want to call a few pawn shops in your aria.

Building an RC one part at a time will cost you double or even triple the price of a new one. Yes you can do it a little at a time but your better off putting that mony aside until you have the proper wad.

Just one mans opinion.

used kinda scares me cause you donno how they broke in the engine

Well look here at these prices man. http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...tag1code=&ebaytag1=&ebaytag12=ebayreg&from=R6 These are the exact trucks used that sold on ebay recently .. .For these prices if the motor sucks you can upgrade to a new enging for less than 100.. If that is not your cup of tea. Then if you have a lhs near buy ask if they will do layaway most of them will.... Pieceing it together is very expensive... ALso check towers scratch and dent they have returned vehicles there for cheap sometimes http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/listdent.html last option go this route get the RTR don't get a radio seprate 250 will bring the whole enchilada home.. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVA51&P=7 X

you could pick up a used one cheap and put a new engine in it and be paying less than piece by piece .. and also you wont have the one lump sum up front

just get a used car then a month later get a new engine

Also if you do the last link i showed you the pro-version is what you want in that truck has bearing and all standard upgrades done to it..X

I had a TL and I really liked it they are the dominant Truck in Racing right now. I am actually looking at building a Factory Team AE RC10GT. Those are your TWO best race trucks, not to mention very good durable trucks with tons of part support. IF you want a TL xxx-nt knock off Get a duratrax evader Nitro when they come back into stock.. Its a TL knock off with a AE Stealth tranny ... X

I have a xxxnt it has been very good to me the only problems so far have been broken arms its a great truck

When i bought my RC10GT, I found it used on a classified page off the net and the guy originally wanted $350 for it and after 2 weeks I talked him down to $175 and I ended up with a great starting point. The motor still ran great was a little low on compression so I got a CV-R off Tower for $92 and bought little parts here and there and I also ended up with about 15-20 pair of tires, 2 starter boxes, and some spare partsthat he sent with the truck. I would look at used trucks on ebay and for sale forumns on the net and just try to talk some of these guys down. If Jr. likes what he has then maybe next christmas you can get him a new truck like a Losi or Associated and he can put all his stuff on it.

Here at our lhs we can get an RC10GT RTR Plus with everything but gas and batteries for 289.99 plus tax. 303.84 here with 6.5% tax. It's a great deal. Or a factory team without engine and radio for 170 some. :)

at My LHS I think the RC10GT is only about 289.99 and the cool thing about oregon is that there is no sales tax=devil

Originally posted by Maxxcrazy88
at My LHS I think the RC10GT is only about 289.99 and the cool thing about oregon is that there is no sales tax=devil

:doh: :drool: Wish we didnt have sales tax............

Originally posted by AoDaLiZeD
Here at our lhs we can get an RC10GT RTR Plus with everything but gas and batteries for 289.99 plus tax. 303.84 here with 6.5% tax. It's a great deal. Or a factory team without engine and radio for 170 some. :)
Can you please clarify this. You can get a Factory Team without engine and radio for how much? What is the Name of you LHS and do they do mail order. The factory team should be more like 250-280 I know this becase I have been shoping them please update.. Thanks X

Originally posted by x_789

Can you please clarify this. You can get a Factory Team without engine and radio for how much? What is the Name of you LHS and do they do mail order. The factory team should be more like 250-280 I know this becase I have been shoping them please update.. Thanks X

Yeah I just caught that too. I have yet to see a FT for less than $225. You can maybe get the sport model for under $200 but it comes with junk turnbuckles and axles just to name a few of the options on the FT.

Well, he "did" have one that "I" was going to buy and the price as a matter of fact was 174.99. No engine / radio equipment. He has two one back order.. But it's been a friggin` month. Look up great planes dealers. They are cheap like that. The "non-member" price at the local shop is 184 bucks. And as for mail order, it would cost you about 30 bucks.. he doesn't use UPS and he hardly ever does the mail order. He's got a factory team B3 for only 149. No motors or anything tho... Anything in the AE books he usually sells for a gooooood bit cheaper, great planes is a cheap "middle-man" I guess you would say. And with all his business, he doesn't have to have sky rocketed prices for normal things. Hell his tmaxx's are only 389, RTR. I can ask him if he'll do mail order for you tho... he'd probably have to have you phone him. I'll ask him about it if you want me to... But I dunno... Like I said, he hardly ever does mail orders. The only one I've seen was for a guy about 70 miles from the shop, and that was a tmaxx...

ITs a Nitro not an Electric? Sounds like you are qouting electric prices to me...X

Nono. The RC10GT factory team model was 174.99 then he sold it gr.... He has two on backorder since febuary. Now the B3 electric buggy factory team was 149. I think the Factory Team RC10 comes with everything but the motor and radio gear, I'll find out. It might be without tranny or something. But I do know it was 174 bucks for member pricing. :)

Back