purchasing car under $1000

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

probie

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am planning on purchasing a nitro car. I have never owned one before. I'd like to have a quality product with the best performance parts. I would like any suggestions and advice. Thank you for your help.

wwell it depends what do you want from it a bashing vehicle ( just to mess around and have fun) or race. what part of ny ya from?

just to have fun in the parking lots. I'm in westchester county!!!!!

eww westchester! I'm out in the bronx you should check which car your local hobby store has parts for and then consider those choices.

A few questions before I respond ...

1. Are you looking fopr on road or off road?
2. Do you want a kit or RTR?
3. Do you plan to race in the future?

Ok I'll give some "general answers"

For onroad, the NTC3 is a very good kit AND rtr. There are a few differences but the main diffrence is that the kit comes with a 2 speed and a few good hopups. It's a reasonable build. Not too difficult.

If you're going off road, there's Buggies and Monster trucks. Both have rtr and kits. A T-maxx is rtr, a savage can come in kit and rtr.

Buggies have a very big following as well. The GS storm is pretty popular and so are the Kanai's.

All in all most kits and accesories will run you about 6-700 out the door (kit, radio. glowstarter, t wrench, failsafe and a few other things)

Buggies,rtr, are pretty much $500 and up. Kits will cost you more depending on the engine and radio that you buy but the hopups are worth it, usually.

Getting into nitro's can be difficult since the choice is so wide. Be a little more specific and we can point you in a better direction.

I am planning on buying online because I can get a better deal. I'd like a street car that is like a GP class. I am looking into Trinity Reflex NT powered version nitro touring car w/sirio .12
TRI NT 1002 is that any good?????

tons of good ones

have you thought about 8th scale on-road? like a Serpent?

Hey Diver I'm not going to race any time soon and i have no idea in building a car, but i'm not afraid of trying it. I want a on road car for sure and gas powered

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
tons of good ones

have you thought about 8th scale on-road? like a Serpent?

If he hasn't raced 10th scale before, he shouldn't jump to 8th scale yet.

The Reflex is a good car and so is the TC3. If your not going to race then these are very good choices.

I am planning on purchasing a nitro car. I have never owned one before. I'd like to have a quality product with the best performance parts. I would like any suggestions and advice. Thank you for your help.

I wish I had the options you do.... You can just about buy any car or a few cars.

If your just bashing around, I dont see the point in buying cars made for racing. Just never made sense to me. Its like buying one of those lawnmowers that you sit in when you have a 10x15 foot yard. Yea, the lawn mowers looks nice and you look damn nice on it, but you look kinda silly mowing the lawn.

I would get what your lhs has a lot of extra parts in stock. Both hop up and stock. I presonally like HPI. Lots of parts and just about every hobby store carrys parts for it.

When you get into racing, buy that top dollar race car fully equiped with that 400 dollar engine and fully synthesized radio.

Just my opinion.

--NooP

Originally posted by probie
Hey Diver I'm not going to race any time soon and i have no idea in building a car, but i'm not afraid of trying it. I want a on road car for sure and gas powered

The NTC3 was my first build. It took me about 14 hours total over 3 days. Nothing hard about it at all. All the instructions are very good and in detail with pics as well as written instructions. All steps are done according to labelled bags in alphabetical order.

If you're going to bash around for now, then ROAR rules don't really apply for now. Get it with the OS .15 CV-RX. Great engine, lots of power and holds a tune very well. Later on, when you decide to race, you will need to get a .12 engine since .15 is illegal.

Don't be intimidated by a kit. You will be able to say "I built that" and most of all, when anything needs replacing or when you decide to upgrade, you will already have a good idea of what is in store for you.

NTC3 kit - $259
Radio & electronics - $79 & up
Engine - $139 +
Failsafe - $30
Fuel - $25/gallon
Quick fill bottle - $5
Glow starter - $20
extra plugs - ?

Plan on spending in the neighborhood of $600. That number will fluctuate with different LHS prices.

I loved the build of my ntc3 and have never regretted purchasing it. Just remember, as in all things, you get what you pay for. There are other good barnds out there. If you plan to just bash in the parking lot, stick with a shaft driven car since pebbles will make quick work of a belt driven car.

I was just suggesting 8th scale since he has the cash to spend. Not to mention, it will be pretty badass if you can put the money into it up front.

Even a high end mugen for that matter.

After running the NTC3 for a while now I can agree that it is a superb choice in 10th scale. The brand new factory team kit looks badass as well. I have a team kit but it is now phased out with the new one on the release. Regardless, its one kickass ride.

So the10th scale is the one that i should buy?????:n00bie:

For a first one absolutely. But dont be afraid of an 8th scale either.

Originally posted by probie
I am planning on buying online because I can get a better deal. I'd like a street car that is like a GP class. I am looking into Trinity Reflex NT powered version nitro touring car w/sirio .12
TRI NT 1002 is that any good?????

Yes, the car is very good...in fact one of the top on-road cars out there. I run Sirio engines in my Tri NT and they flat out haul. PM me if you want more specifics or you have other questions.

thanx guys got my car today.

What did you get? The trinity reflex? NTC3? Kit? RTR?

hey man i got a mrx-3 with the works and it is all in pieces. I'm ready to stay up for hours !!!!!!! Thanks for your help

Last edited:
I can't seem to find a place to buy the trinity reflex and are there a lot of hop ups for it??

Frank

Thank all of the guys here with tips and sugetion about what car should I get. Have a Post about my new car!!!!!!!! Love it but it is in lot "peices". :thankyou:

Last edited: