Let's Shave!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
After seeing Woodie post about his new Whipped Dog shaving brush and Randy mention his badger hair brush I got curios. I have used disposables for years, I get a good shave but if I shave every day I end up with very irretated skin and red bumps! I have been toying with the idea of switching to a DE safety razor because I have read that they are easier on the face. I have also been reading up on shaving creams, bowls, brushes, and razors but would like some real world reviews from people I know or not trying to sell me anything.

For those of you use something other than a disposable razor tell us about your products.

When I'm traveling I just use the Gillette fusion power shaver, Gillette fusion fusion irritation defence shaving gel, and Gillette fusion proseries cooling lotion. But I don't need to shave everyday....more like 3-5 days. My facial hair grows slow.

But if I have the time, I like getting a straight shave at the local barbershop, just like the old days.

Ohh man, I can't speak for anyone else but DE shaving it like a whole other hobby almost. You can quickly get wrapped up in it and all the goodies it has to offer.

For me I switched because I was tried of paying $20-25 for replacement cartridges that didn't last but just a few shaves each. When I was using them I always had a number of ingrown hairs, bumps, etc. So just tired of the same ol same ol and came across a blog post somewhere talking about double edge shaving and figured what the heck I'll give it a shot. Since day one I've been hooked and shaved with nothing else other than a DE blade.

Think about it, most cartridges have 3 or more blades and you probably take 2-3 passes when you shave. That's a lot of irritation on your skin. With my DE I have one blade that I do three passes: 1 top to bottom, 1 side to side, 1 bottom to top.

Here's a list of some of my "gear":

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a wish list full of other stuff I'd like to get. :D

If you're looking to get started I'd pick up the 34c razor, Astra blades, TOBS cream, Whipped Dog brush and face lather or get a bowl as well and bowl lather and then an after-shave of your choice (I like Geo F Trumper but it can be pricey).

Pete, I had the same issues along with painful ingrown facial hairs as well. The first, and most important step is ditching the modern plastic fantastic 15 bladed wonder razor, and it's the single best change I ever made for my skin. And changing the way I shaved not only virtually eliminated all my issues, it also made look forward to shaving rather than dreading it. That's kind of the mentality behind making the switch, is that you embrace the process rather than hating it as I did. It's like anything else, you can spend as little or as much as you want when getting started. You can use a DE (double edge, also known as a safety razor back in the day) razor with your regular shave cream you use now with no issues and that would likely cut out a lot of your problems.

If you choose to take the full plunge however, or if you simply desire to give it a try then a decent bowl and brush, along with shave soap can be picked up cheap online. The brush is key also, as it exfoliates the skin getting rid of dead skin helping the razor glide along easier. In addition it softens and lifts the whiskers prior to being cut as well.

My current setup (tried and true for about four years now)

• 1970 Gillete tech adjustable DE razor (adjustable gap for the perfect shave)
  • Derby blades (you can buy 100 of them for roughly the cost of 5 plastic fantastic cartridges)
  • Escali badger brush (very reasonably priced and pure badger hair)
  • Proraso eucalyptus & menthol shave soap
  • Cheap stoneware bowl from Wally world

Another valuable tip my barber gave me was to never immerse your razor in really hot water or run it under a really hot tap, as it tends to warp the blade and change the gap on the adjustment setting. And when finished shaving, rather than splash cool water on your face, soak a hand towel in cold water then apply it to your face and neck area with a little pressure and repeat if it warms too quickly. This helps the pores shrink (they don't truly open and close, that's a myth) and is healthy for your skin.

Last edited:
I only shave after a shower so the facial hair is at it's softest and lather up immediately. The whole purpose of the soap, foam or gel is to keep your face wet. Even straight shampoo will work well.
The Gillette Fusion Proglide has become my weapon of choice. Closest shave I've ever had outside a barber shop.
I've always run my blades under really cold water while the sink fills. Cold water will actually change the properties of the metal by making it sharper and harder. It's true. Cold contracts, heat expands things. Slosh it around in the sink to clean it, do NOT shave with running water.
2 reasons. One, the sloshing is far more agitating for cleaning, and mainly because running the tap is a tremendous waste of a valuable asset, water.

Great info guys, thats what I was looking for! I'm going to start out on the cheaper side but I want the full experience...razor, brush, cream, and bowl!

Woodie I was actually looking at Merkur razors on Amazon yesterday, I feel better about it now!

Rolex I do the same as you, shave right out of the shower for the same reasons you mentioned. My facial hair grows fast and it's hard, I ruin a Gillette fusion cartridge pretty quick. If I wait three days that razor is toast!

And changing the way I shaved not only virtually eliminated all my issues, it also made look forward to shaving rather than dreading it. That's kind of the mentality behind making the switch, is that you embrace the process rather than hating it as I did.

This is exactly the things I have been reading that made me consider switching! I hate shaving and on my days off I normally don't, but I like to keep it clean for work...and my wife enjoys my smooth face!

Last edited:
If you don't want to shave after your shower, use a towel or washcloth soaked in hot water to soften the beard.

^^LOL, he's probably out scavenging road kill or something important.

Pete, I was wrong, what I have is a Gillette super adjustable, and I was going to recommend you hit ebay to see if you can find one. But they're bringing silly prices it turns out. But I do highly recommend an adjustable, as it makes all the difference in the world. Here's a couple of pics, and I think it's sad that we don't make things like we used to anymore. This thing is close to 50 years old, but still gives the best shave I've ever had, each and every time.
thumbup.gif

cZB6sa7.jpg

FEoiqyo.jpg

7T09hYv.jpg

well iam a city redneck. does that count? i have been known to rig some real kludges. i can see 5 rolls of duct tape as sit.

I know this may be a little off topic since this is about single blade razors, but I recently found a place called the Dollar Shave Club for Men that makes using razors with replacable heads much cheaper and there are 3 different options to choose from. Check it out if you want another option
http://shaved.by/C6IT

I used to be once a week until I was 25. Couldn't grow much at all. Baby face. Then I went to twice a week. Now, I'm 32 and I'm a bit scruffy if I stick to my 2 a week regiment. 3 times for a clean look for my job. I have moutache-goatee combo that drives my wife crazy because it hides my baby face;)

I shave after a shower only. I use a 4 blade Shick Quattro razor, I do ONE PASS and never shave up, always down. Yes, shaving up after is a butter smooth face, but I get ingrown hairs and pimples like crazy if I do so. Also, if you must do more than one pass, re-soap the runway before trying again. Those basic razor take me two passes and only last 2 weeks before they start chopping up my face(5-6x's) The Quattro lasts me 2mo each razor!!!
For rinsing, I get the shaving cream off with warm tap water and I tap the razor on my fingers under the running water. Does not crack the blades and cleans them very well.
Yes, I have fairly calloused hands and have never been cut by using this method.

I know this may be a little off topic since this is about single blade razors, but I recently found a place called the Dollar Shave Club for Men that makes using razors with replacable heads much cheaper and there are 3 different options to choose from. Check it out if you want another option

Seen then before but it's still the same old crappy multi blade setup. Really try DE shaving and you'll never want another multi razor cartridge setup again.

@SMaxxin, HPIGuy is certainly right about liking to shave. I hated it with a passion before, now I look forward to shaving. Which actually sounds pretty silly, but it's true I do enjoy it. On days I'm in a hurry I will just face lather but when I have time, say in the evenings, I just love whipping up a good shaving cream in the bowl and getting a nice shave. The way my face feels is very refreshing.

Merkur has a ton of models, the 34C is a fixed razor and is typically more recommended for newbies to DE shaving. If you wanted to go with an adjustable - two of their most common adjustable razors would be the Merkur Progress and the Merkur FUTUR.

Amazon and eBay are both great places to look for razors as well as craigslist, antique shops, and your dads and/or grandfathers bathroom.

@HPIguy - have you tried the razorock shaving soap by chance? I'm thinking about giving it a try.

My brother got me a gift membership to DSC. He absolutely raves about it but so far, I'm not impressed. I like the concept, but in this case you get what you pay for. Took more time and effort to get a decent shave compared to my current razor. Their shavers remind me a lot of the Bic disposables.

On a positive note, I really like the Shave Butter and the One Wipe Charlies.:hehe:

I have been trying to score a clean old school Gillette but for one in good condition it's just more than I'm willing to spend right now. I just ordered a Merkur progress long handle on Amazon and should have it Friday! I'll let you guys know how much blood I loose the first time out.

I have been trying to score a clean old school Gillette but for one in good condition it's just more than I'm willing to spend right now. I just ordered a Merkur progress long handle on Amazon and should have it Friday! I'll let you guys know how much blood I loose the first time out.

Let me know how it work out, I would have went with the Futura since it's adjustable. Makes all the difference in the world.