Let's Shave!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a styptic pencil / stick for those cuts, works great. I actually am completely clean shaven for the first time in over 15 years. I actually did it after botching trimming my moustache / goatee, but it's actually faster & easier than the work involved in grooming and trimming and a lot cooler this time of year. Plus, no one at work recognizes me, so they can't ask for things. :D

Well, I just placed a $75 order through Maggard's Razors. Time to try some different soaps and I finally ordered a lather bowl.

What soaps have you tried so far? I've been wanting to try some out myself as well as an alum block.

What soaps have you tried so far? I've been wanting to try some out myself as well as an alum block.
So far I've tried;
Proraso Red
Proraso Blue
Van Der Hagen Scented
RazoRock XXX
Latha
And a few others that I'll post when I figure out what they were.

I'm about to try Taylor of Old Street Sandalwood tonight, and Maggard Razzors' London Barbershop tomorrow. I have a ton more to try as well, my buddy just started DE shaving and has won a ton of gift packages on a shaving forum.

I've also tried different blades; Astra, Derby, Feather, Shark, and Persona Med Prep and their Comfort Coated. I still have a handful of different blades to try as well.

I recommend the alum block, I've been using the Gentleman Jon block and I really noticed a difference with flareups on my neck. I also just started using aftershave, I've been using Nivea Shave Balm. I really like Fine Accoutrements American Blend, it has a classic smell and really leave my face feeling great.

Oh I didn't realize ToOS had shaving soaps. I have their cream and proraso red (also a cream ;) ) and have been happy with them but keep hearing how much better soaps are in every way.

Personna blades are my choice blades at the moment. I've tried several brands but right now Personna is what agrees most with me.

I just received my Fine Accoutrements Angel Hair synthetic brush, it is so soft and just keeps lathering, definitely worth the $20. I also have samples of all 13 TOBS shave creams to try out. I highly recommend Maggard Razors, they offer samples of most of their stock, and have great customer service.

@SchrodeMode let me know how you like the TOBS creams. I have been using the TOBS sandalwood shaving cream and have liked very well. But just picked up some shaving soap and have used it twice since I got it the other day and have liked it just as well but really like the aftershave feeling.

@SchrodeMode let me know how you like the TOBS creams. I have been using the TOBS sandalwood shaving cream and have liked very well. But just picked up some shaving soap and have used it twice since I got it the other day and have liked it just as well but really like the aftershave feeling.

I really like the TOBS, great lather and smooth shaves. What soaps/AS are you using? I also really like my Chiseled Face razor, it has some serious weight to it and I get a great shave....plus you can't beat $15. I just won a 1967 adjustable Gilette from eBay, I can't wait to try it out. Tonight I shaved with a Merkur slant, I'll try it a few more times before making a final decision, but I liked it so far.

I really like the TOBS, great lather and smooth shaves. What soaps/AS are you using? I also really like my Chiseled Face razor, it has some serious weight to it and I get a great shave....plus you can't beat $15. I just won a 1967 adjustable Gilette from eBay, I can't wait to try it out. Tonight I shaved with a Merkur slant, I'll try it a few more times before making a final decision, but I liked it so far.
I'm currently using Mitchell wool fat shaving soap and TOBS sandalwood.

I'm currently using Mitchell wool fat shaving soap and TOBS sandalwood.
Nice, I've heard good things about the Mitchell's, and the TOBs is great.

I just used a 1954 Gillette Super Speed with Stirling Barbershop soap and Fine American Blend AS. I had a bad shave earlier in the week that resulted in some razor burn on my neck, and it kind of messed up the rest of my shaves. I should be able to "reset" after my day off, if my neck is GTG I'll be using a Feather straight razor shavette Monday.

Feather-Artist-Club-DX-Folding-Wood-Handle-Replaceable-Blade-Shavette-Straight-Razor-1.jpg

The shaving soap has been alright, but I think I'm going to be placing an order this week from Amazon for TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream as well as some Geo F Trumper skin food (after shave lotion).

The shaving soap has been alright, but I think I'm going to be placing an order this week from Amazon for TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream as well as some Geo F Trumper skin food (after shave lotion).
Have you checked out Maggards? They sell samples of a lot of their stock, that way you you can try them before buying a full container.