Venom Mini Giant review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, I've had My mini Giant since X-mas so I thought I would do a little write up and let you all know how it performs.

main.jpg

First of all, I always wanted a mini, but nothing quality came out till the mini-t. After that I figured it wouldn't be long until a mini-monster truck came out so I figured I would wait.

What's In the box.

The Mini giant was well packaged and include instructions on how to operate the thing (the ones people usually toss right before they stick the batteries in). I was also surprised to see a wheel nut wrench, a tube of lube for the gear box, and two spare wheel nuts.
  • Mini Giant and controller
  • tube of gear lube
  • 3 pinions
  • wheel nut wrench
  • slipper gear lock out
  • two spare wheel nuts
  • Instructions, exploded parts view, misc paper work

First impression
Right out of the box I was lpretty surprised it looked high quality and pretty durable. I popped some alkalines in and was kind of dissapointed by the performance although it wheelied and had some pretty good take off I expected more. I tossed in some Nicads I had laying around and it really woke up definetaly a fun little toy now. (Nihms added later in review)

Features
  • NPB (non polarity battery system)
  • 4 wheel drive
  • Steel dogbones and drive shafts
  • Full size servo replaceable with any stanbdard servo-non proprietary
  • Integrated speed controll / RX 7 cell capable
  • Internal slipper (slipper lockout included)
  • Straight axle suspension with enclosed shafts
  • 4 spider diffs, front and rear
  • Stinger 2 channel transmitter with trim, and adjustable steering rate

General Impression
After fooling around with the VMG for a few minutes I became quite enamered with it, it's durable, powered well, handles good, and has a good feel of quality to it.

After I had the VMG for a few days I picked up some 2500 Nihm batteries the batts made and incredible difference. The run times with Nihm batterys hover around 45 minutes the first 30 of which I saw no noticable power drop.

The power of the Stock VMG is more than adequate with enough power to climb vertical, the giant would rather tip than not be able to climb. As with most r/c'ers we still just had to stuff in a 370 motor to see what it would do.
main.jpg

The internal slipper inside the VMGs Transmission was the best Idea I have seen in years It's strong enough that you dont loose any torque, but soft enough to avoid drivetrain damage.

Handling on the VMG was more than adequate, it handles well out of the box, and surprsingly doesn't tip as easy as expected. The tendancy for the Giant to wheelie was annoying at first, but after learning to drive it it became a non-issue wheelies on command, not accidental flip.

All and all stock the VMG is a great value at $100 USD it's one of the least expensive mini's, and unlike others at that price the quality does not suffer.

After upgrading the VMG with ball bearings (diffs transmission and wheels $25)), 6 NiMH batteries, and a fireball micro 370 motor($15.99), it became a new beast.

main.jpg

The fun became the irresistable. The Mini Giant with more power and bigger batteries is just a blast. 45 minutes of run time and an almost unstoppable suspension it flew through the grass, and is actually pretty hard to get stuck. We also jumped The heck out of this little guy, and it just would not break.. this being indoors with nothing but hard immovable objects in the way.

The Ups
  • Inexpensive
  • Hobby grade
  • Killer run times
  • Very durable
  • Highly upgradeable (also inexpensive)
  • Good handling
  • Standard servo
  • Upgrades availible anywhere you can buy the VMG

The downs
  • Plastic wheel nuts & hexes
  • Plastic bushings for transmission and wheels
  • Integrated ESC/RX
  • Indirect servo linkage.
  • Antenna placement begs ant to be cut
  • Motor mount flex/too thin
  • Fiction shocks cause a bit of bounce.

All in all the VMG is a bargain for the price, it will give you hours of enjoyment stock, and is easy to upgrade if you get bored. I considered the VMG $100 well spent, and the $50 for Nimhs, ball bearings and a motor were well worth the buy. I would almost go as far to say that it's the most fun per dollar I've had since I started the hobby. It's definetaly a well built hobby grade Mini in my opinion. Keep in mind it is a Mini and performs as such.

Final Rating 10/10 - An incredible amount of fun for what it is. Based on price durability and performance.

If you have any questions, comments or want to know about the VMG feel free to ask right here.

--Mason

lykan said:
Well, I've had My mini Giant since X-mas so I thought I would do a little write up and let you all know how it performs.

lykan....this is one kick ass write up! Great job bro. Glad ur having a ball with that truck.

i had a question before i completed reading the review..but by the time i finished, my ? was answered.

EXCELLENT!!!!

Thanks for the props! And thanks to Mayhem for posting it on the front page. Thanks again for all the news he brings to the site, it's a ton of work.

By the way, there are two followings for the VMG if you are into crawling the rocks, there's tons of mods and hop ups.

If you are into race/performance there's plenty for that too.

Thanks again wannarunem it was a fun write up.

Last edited:
A lot more than I expected Fast Eddy, then again I would say Nihms are required to get the full potential for fun.

I am thinking of getting two more so I can race with the kids..

For the price it would be great family fun indoors or out.
I have a Mini-T that I play with a lot. Thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in RCs and I play with the least expensive one the most. Go figure.

This fun of this rig just amazes me, it doesn't get dull.

BTW I thought I would mention the batteries last long enough thtat we run it 2-3 times before charging :D

I put the motor, bearings, and pinion gears in in less than 30 minutes.No stripped screws, no oil and grease, and nut cuts or bruises. Actually no frusteration was the best part. I can actuall work on it in the house.

Something I can actually let Jaren and Dylan go with, and not worry about a $400 R/C and a $200 engine getting broke in half(supervision required). We've got more runtime out of this thing in two weeks than we have on the nitros in 3 months.

I remember reading when about the playtime you were getting out of your Mini-t when you picked it up. Now I understand where you were coming from.

It seems almost worth it to invest in a Li-po setup, not for the power, but if Nihm,s give 45 minutes+ how long can a Li-po go?

lykan said:
Thanks again wannarunem it was a fun write up.

YW lykan. id sure like to see a vid of it over some rocks.

Have any way of shooting some for us?

You bectha give me a day or two and I'll run it over some stuff here in the house. Expect a vid in a day or two :D

Glad you asked I was thinking of it myself, wondering if there was enough interest

LOL gotta cat u can run over????? LOL j/k

Actually I have a dog the size of a cat that attacks it. He loves it makes him feel tough.

I forgot to mention in the review that my Jack russel terrier repeatedly grabs it by it's rear wheel and flips it into the air. If it can survive that it should survive most bashings. Not to mention my wife learning how to drive using the oak baseboard as a gaurdrail.

I also though it pertinent to mention that it is 1/20th scale, about the same size as a mini-T but smaller than expected. I belive the Mini-t size is just perfect for indoors and out. Not sure about the mini-t but for the Giant it's a perfect size.

I picked up the oik filled shocks for the Mini-giant today.. expect a review/performance report after a few days

A guy at one of the hobby shops I visit told me that Venom decided to stop making the Mini Giant... is that true??

Back