HPI Dual Disc, discs loose, drags transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am in the process of building my new SS and I replaced the stock brake disc with the HPI dual disc brake kit. The stock SS brake disc seemed to fit pretty tight on the transmission output hub and the disc did not move back and forth at all. The dual steel brake discs do not fit nearly as tight on the new output hub that came with the dual disc brake kit. The dual discs tend to move around (back and forth) on the new hub a bit and this can cause a drag on the transmission. If I hold the transmission perfectly level the discs seem to stay straight, but if I tilt the transmission (like if the truck was going uphill or riding a wheelie), the discs move on the hub and create a drag.

Has anyone else noticed this?

How much drag are you seeing? Realize that the disks will flatten out between their calipers when power is on the drive train. The spinning of the drive shaft causes this to happen.

If the drive is particularly large, you may need to loosen your calipers or ease up on the linkage a bit.

I am not seeing a huge amount of drag, but it is noticeable when I tilt the transmission up or down and spin the shafts by hand.

On another note the reverse module did not really create a noticeable drag. I know people have complained about this. I am enjoying the build up and I took a lot of pix. I will post the build up pix when I get a chance.

I would wait until you see it in action with the engine running and the drive train under power.

I had this set up on my Savage and there was no adverse affects from the brake kit. It worked like a charm when it was called upon and stayed out of the way when it wasn't needed. So what you are describing is nothing unusual, and I'd say you have little to nothing to worry about.

Back