Buggy or Truggy or Stadium Truck is best for track?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken4

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was racing my MT (TNX 5.2R) with some 1/8 scale buggies on the track. My MT loses out on the turns and also on the jumps. I'm thinking of upgrading to HPI Hellfire SS or HB Lightning 2 Pro. Not sure which is better for the track. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

If you are racing I would look into a Ofna Hyper 7 series buggies. If you want a Truggy, the experienced ones will chime in. If you want a ST, I have owned both XXX NT and RC10GT. Both will not let you down. My suggestions are for beginners to intermediate.

The ones you have suggested may not be what some call as race worthy. I bash so I would care less.

If your looking for a truggy to race forget the hellfire unless you hvae a good supply of parts locally. I'd look into either the Jammin X1-CR or Jammin X1-CRT over there probably under the Ho Bao brand but the same thing. The HB Lightning Pro buggy is heavy and dated.

I'm looking for something that flies very well over humps, but at the same time something durable. I notice buggies can do big jumps and land so beautifully, must be the big wing behind helping it. But the buggies look so fragile. Hellfire SS (Stadium Truck Class?) also has big wing behind and looks like it could do jumps easily too, and it looks alot more durable than a buggy. Not sure about the wing though, do the wings break easily if you land badly? I know the HB Lightning 2 Sport comes with spare steering knuckles and spare wing, obviously these parts break easily! 9 times out of 10 I will have bad landing on my TNX 5.2R, but the TNX is one tough truck, no damage whatsoever! My TNX has really bad turn radius and I have to slow down alot on the turns otherwise I will run off the track. And I can't attack the humps with full throttle, otherwise my TNX will be doing somersaults and tumbling all over. It's annoying to drive slowly over humps and not being able to show off my truck, while the buggies are all flying over the humps and catching big air and landing so beautifully. My 8 year old son drives an electric HB Ezilla MT and it is just as bad on the jumps, and it's a fragile truck, it breaks easily.

So what should I buy next? Help. My LHS carries HPI, HB, Tamiya, Traxxas and Kyosho.

Kyosho maybe the route you need to go. The WC edition 777 is available in the buggies now or you can try the ST-R. both are kits and require an engine, exhaust and all electronics.

IMO if you race see what the local hotshots are running. See what they get. May give you an idea on what is good to try. See if the LHS has what they run.

What is your budget? Race or bash?

If you bash, The Savage or the Revo will do you no harm. Either will do you great. Just read up on both here on the forum. Lots of owners of both.

Buggys are not fragile...
I beat my buggys harder then any MT I have ever owned...With less breakage.
You want to jump and go fast get a buggy.
the ofna Hyper line will be a great start.

I've owned something like 4 or 5 different buggies and I've only broken one part between all of them. IMO buggies are the best for flying (maybe not landing), they tend to get the most hangtime and fly the most level, but landings are hard. When you land it right it will take it just fine, but the shorter shocks mean they bottom out.

Key thing here is your budget, you can get an RTR buggy for as low as 300, or build a kit for as much as 2K...

RCs are what you make of them. As Zandor stated, buggies are not fragile. I have three and have beaten them relentlessly. I have jumped my buggies higher and farther than most on this forum and can attest to their strength. Now for the number one caveat...RCs are what you make of them. If you spend low amounts on them, you can expect the maxim "you get what you pay for" to come into effect. I run two Mugen MBX-5 Prospecs and a GS Storm Pro. These are not weak buggies by any stretch but are also not stock (excepting maybe the Prospecs...they can be bought stock the way mine are made...I built mine up from hop-ups).

At any rate, a good quality buggy, RTR or kit, can take quite a beating and still provide quite a bit of entertainment for the basher.

Here's a picture of one of my MBX-5s flying off a major full size BMX track berm/ramp.

Sky11.jpeg

MTs were launched off that same berm and did not fair so well. Most did, but a few came away broken.

Wow nice pic! I'm not intending to do that big a jump! That could really cause serious damage if you land wrongly. I'm talking about those humps where the people are standing. My MT has to go embarrasingly slow over humps. If I go fast over humps, it will tumble all over the place.

Then perhaps yor issue is not so much the RC but the set up of the RC. Perhaps your suspension is a touch too stiff for driving fast through the humps. Perhaps the MT is set up too high and could be lowered a little. There are a number of solutions (one of which is switching to a buggy) that could change your experience with the MT.

I practiced doing small jumps with my TNX 5.2R and I am much better now. I think I will stick with my MT for the time being. MTs are really good for driving thru mud puddles! Here is a video I made:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7lM9di41qM"]YouTube - TNX Jumps[/ame]

Back