Repairing broken 6 cell battery pack....What should I look for?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhatman

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, I have an older 6 cell battery pack that hasnt been working for a while now, but have 4 other batteries to use, so I didnt want to even try to find out what was wrong. The problem is, is that when I plug it into the charger, it wont charge, and the charger doesn't even know a battery is plugged in. (It is not the charger, becuase I always use to charge this pack with it. I took off the battery casing that holds all 6 batteries together, and looked at all of the soldering on each battery. All were still connected... I did find some orange hard stuff up by the top of the battery where the connector leads get on, and I think it is battery acid. It was hard, and I just scraped it off. Does anyone have any ideas to try and repair this pack? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

did you try to desolder each one and test each one if they charge? You seem to have a dead cell that is breaking the series. Have you tried charging another pack?

Based on his other posts I'm pretty sure he didn't build this pack, jon. It's probably a stick pack.

yeah but if he took it aprt far enough to look at the tabs then maybe he is capable to go further.

Are ya?

It was a stick pack. It was a generic brand, and was fully black. It was a 3000 mah one. How would I check each battery?

If you do not know how then I would suggest not doing it just yet. Have you tried charging another battery pack?

jon2 said:
If you do not know how then I would suggest not doing it just yet. Have you tried charging another battery pack?

yea... it is not the charger, because it still charges my other packs, and it used to charge this one.

if you think one of the cells leaked acid, you are better off tossing the battery into the recycling bin at radio shack. charging up vented batteries are severely dangerous and can cause fires. the fumes are severly dangerous to your lungs. don't even bother thinking that the other cells are go to reuse since they didn't vent yet. there is a good chance that they will. your health and safety is more important than saving a couple of dollars.

sl0eg1n said:
if you think one of the cells leaked acid, you are better off tossing the battery into the recycling bin at radio shack. charging up vented batteries are severely dangerous and can cause fires. the fumes are severly dangerous to your lungs. don't even bother thinking that the other cells are go to reuse since they didn't vent yet. there is a good chance that they will. your health and safety is more important than saving a couple of dollars.

ok, well... unless someone wants it I'm just going to toss it. I dont want to rebuild a battery pack, being that I have 4 more packs to use. Anyone want it?

Back