Roto start users please look

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroholic

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a roto start from hpi that I am thinking about putting on my buggy. The motor is a force .26, this motor is suppose to be the best for adapting the roto start to it. All I hear about is burned up one ways though so I am leary at trying it. I am wondering if using my cordless drill would be better? I would think that being able to ease into the start would be easier on the one way. I really want to use the roto start, I am not crazy about lugging a starter box around, but I dont want to pay 23 dollars for a new one way every week. Anyone that has the roto start in use think that maybe a softer start would be easier on the bearing?

Ya know NM I don't think it's the starting of it so much but it's just the clunking of the piston and what not that when it is hitting exhaust stroke and intake stroke. Or better yet TDC and it gets that pinch is when the damage mostly ocurrs. One way bearings simply were not designed for that abuse. My opinion of you using the drill rather than the roto start is a really big plus due to the fact that the roto start sooner or later will fail you. Also there seems to be a problem with backplates rounding off the edges of the one way. Later

Yep, that's what i do

I tossed the gizmo that came with my HPI roto start and use my DeWalt cordless drill. I have two beefy 14 volt batteries and it works great. Set it in reverse (like you're backing out a screw.) You don't need to kill it, just go slow on the speed. And if your cordless has a clutch, use it, that's a GREAT feature that the roto start DOESN'T have. (It's good if your engine gets flooded and the compression is too much.)

BUT I'm getting a starter box and getting away from all of it. Any drag on the engine isn't good.

And don't ever make the mistake of getting a pull-start from HPI. It's a total piece of trash. It will break quickly if you pull too far.

Hope my :2cents: helps
flash

In my opinion the biggest problem people have with the Roto-Start is they use it like they're starting a car, keep cranking away on it even if it's locked up. Light quick taps of the button, and don't force it to turn the motor over. I had one on my 21BB with 3 or 4 gallons through it, and now on my Picco .26 with 3+ gallons through it, and (knock on wood) have orignal one-way bearings. Good luck.

one way bearings every week?? i havent touched a one way bearing yet and I've had my car since christmas

well good that was what I wanted to hear. I have a 14.4v too with a clutch that I also thought would be handy. I will still use up both the pull starts that I have for it first. I have never had any problems to get the baby to fire. This motor is like gold to me as my past was .15fe (piece of $hit!!) and a traxxas .15 old style which I thought did pretty good for the price.

Thanks again

Back