how to clean the maxx?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a dawg

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is it safe to clean everything on my maxx with water. will it hurt the electronics. i am going to put it up for the winter and want it to be clean when i am ready to drive it again

You should take the electronics out. THey are not rust proof nor corrosion proof. Make sure your tranny 2 speed plug is secure. I would also take off the wheels as water can enter the holes. If you decide to use water I would then take some Denatured alcohol and spray it liberally then take a compressor and blow it all off. SOme people use a lubricant to spray on. Not sure what it is but I am curious to know as well as I would like to get it for my cars.

GL

Jon

It's probably WD-40. It gives everything a really black sheen, and makes it look like it just came out of the box. I prefer to use a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water, then blow it off with the air hose. It gives it that same brand new look, but dust has less of a tendancy to stick to it than to WD.
jon2 is correct about taking out the electronics, and the alcohol. You should also drop some 3 in 1 oil on your wheel bearings.
Most importantly, use after run oil in the engine for long term storage.

a dawg said:
is it safe to clean everything on my maxx with water. will it hurt the electronics. i am going to put it up for the winter and want it to be clean when i am ready to drive it again

Put It up for the winter? These things are sweet in the snow!

akmadmaxx said:
Put It up for the winter? These things are sweet in the snow!

are they really sweet in the snow? i figured that they would have wo much wheel spin and it wouldn't be that much fun. or did you pust studs on your tires or something.

a-dawg,
trucks are fun in the winter you get to jump off snow banks and what not but you should look into waterprofing your electronics if you do attempt to run in the wet season.

a dawg said:
are they really sweet in the snow? i figured that they would have wo much wheel spin and it wouldn't be that much fun. or did you pust studs on your tires or something.

they dont go through anything real deep but they can go through a few inches fine.

I've run both my T-Maxx and Savage (when I had them both) in the snow. Yes, you can get wheel spin on the packed stuff, but awesome rooster tails and fun in the not so packed stuff.

I made a video of my T-Maxx running in snow. I just needed to use a hair dryer to heat up the engine prior to starting, and the rest was snow flying fun.

As for cleaning the truck, I've found the most effective method for me is the kitchen sink and some care around the electronics. I use dish soap and the sink sprayer to get my rigs nice and clean. A liberal oiling of those areas that require lube, and then its off to the next mud hole or dust pot for some fun.

alot of guys who winter bash around here use proline paddles in the snow.they say can wheelie in the snow with em and throw up some crazy rooster tails.here's some pics from last winter of some of them bashing in the snow,I'll probably use my maxx for some winter bashing this year.

FRIDGE said:
a-dawg,
trucks are fun in the winter you get to jump off snow banks and what not but you should look into waterprofing your electronics if you do attempt to run in the wet season.

How do you water proof them, and what it the best way. i looked at some of the pics from canadian-mgt and now there is no way i am going to wait til srping to drive. winter riding looks just as fun

most people will put the reciever and batteries in balloons then zip tie the balloon where the wires are sticking out,it's also a good idea to put a dab of RTV silicone or shoo-goo around the wires sticking out of the balloon to prevent water from seeping in.for the servos you can do one of the following.if your a hands on type guy remove the servo case screws and seperate the 3 sections of the servo case enough to run a bead of silicone where the case sections fit together,if you don't wanna try opening the servo case you can just smear a bead along the lines on the outside of the case.just make sure you clean the servo off with some alcohol so that the silicone sticks better.you'll wanna also put a dab of silicone around the opening in the case where the wires come out so that water doesn't seep in through there.for added protection you can fit a small o-ring under the servo horn around the output shaft,just make sure it's small enough that it doesn't cause any binding when the servo turns.
I would also put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil in the switch and any other connectors that maybe exposed (like the plug for the ez start).
when it gets cold you're also gonna wanna make sure your engine isn't over cooled to the point that it doesn't get to hit operating temp,you could either stick a piece of muffler tape on the front of the heatsink or use a toilet paper tube around the head (just make sure it isn't sitting on the header),you may need to cut some openings in the tube if you find the engine is running too hot.
other than that just make sure you blow off the truck with some compressed air when you're done for the day and oil all the bearings (including the diffs) when you're done.hope this info helps you enjoy your truck through the winter,rather than letting it sit on a shelf. :cheers:

I cannot say that I have ever used water to clean an RC but have run them though puddles a few times. I use denatured alcohol or whatever nitro cleaner that the lhs has available. Denatured alcohol is pretty inexpensive, about $10 for a gallon from Home Depot. I put it into a spay bottle and go to town. I usually just remove the reciever and hump pack or batteries and try not to flood around the top of the servos. It will evaporate or you can use compressed air to blow it out of the hard to get to places.

For long term storage I use after run oil in the engine, place a cork in the exhaust stinger and store them inside the house when putting them away for awhile. The most important thing about storing RC's is keeping moistured out of the engine.

thanks guys for all the help. i used many of your ideas and now i am just waiting for the silicone to dry. i was going to wrap a balloon around the reciever and batteries but how can i get one around the reciever. i'll have to cut a hole for the antenia and then my baloon will rip quickly. any ideas?

Back