T-Maxx 3.3 tranny questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65f1004x4

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok so i bought a 3.3 tranny on e-pain..... can it still use the same spur and clutch? what all will i need to make it work in place of my old maxx tranny?

somone had to have done this already...... anyone?

I'm not in any hurry to swap it over since i just replaced the gears in mine, but id just like to have some sort of idea of what i have to get together

what did you have before a 2.5?I forget. Did you have the pegs and larger spur ?

I'm not sure what it was originally, the motor was changed before i got it. it has a large (72 tooth?) steel spur with slipper disks instead of pegs. the tranny is black, and has a FOC done to it. is there a way to tell the difference between the .15 and the 2.5 trannys?

I'm pretty sure it was the old .15 tranny..... if it wasn't before it is now, i bought new cases when i had to replace a few gears, and the gears and case i got were for the old maxx. the spur is some aftermarket, not sure what the brand is. it has duel slipper disks, thats why i was wondering if i could use it with the 3.3.
ill post up a pic when i get a chance. I'm at work now and dont have access to the truck

yeah thats it looks just like that .... i just counted the spur gear and its the 65 tooth. 8465 Double-Disc Slipper Kit: (65T steel spur), pads, plates, bearing.

so is there a difference between the .15 and the 2.5 trannys?

There is with the internals, but I think that's it... The two gears that run off the two speed have two dog-ears that fit into each other (.15 maxx), the new one has more of a spline. Possibly difference sized output shaft... but it's been a while since I had a maxx and knew anything extra useful.

I know the spine/dog-ear thing because RRP used the dog ears for their steel/aluminum gears like the original .15 maxx did. The spline was stronger for plastic...

I don't think you can use the slipper from an old .15/2.5 trans on the 3.3 trans. Different setup. I think they make a conversion to use the new slipper on the old trans though...

now i can't decide weather i am going to just get steele gears for my 15/25 tranny or go with the 3.3...

the 3.3 tranny i ordered showed up today. and i can see that the spur wont work unless i feel like coming up with some way of modifying it to work. also the 3.3 tranny is a bit shorter than the old one. if i was to put the 3.3 tranny in would a drive shaft from a 3.3 maxx be a direct bolt in?

I thought the new 3.3 t-maxx just used the revo tranny....I'm sure you'd need a 3.3 slipper.....I'd get the stock 3.3 slipper since I haven't heard alot of bad about the stock stuff.....

just a thought..... since i only had a couple mins to look at it last night. the input shaft on the 3.3 tranny is the same diameter and the same length as the input shaft on the old max tranny.
has anyone got creative and put the old shaft with the new gears on the 3.3? it would take a little customizing, but it really didnt look all that hard to do. thoughts?

go with the 3.3 it uses the same clutch they came out with on the revo, the one where you can change the spur without altering the diff setup, the spurs are like 58 tooth to 52 tooth.

It's weird that they used different pitch for the jato/t-maxx and revo. The revo is 1M whereas the new spur setup for the jato/maxx is .8M. I don't get it. Why not stick with something the same. Then there's the old maxx which is entirely different, 32P.

If they would use the same, the CB's would be interchangeable at least.

so to make a list of things i need to switch over....

have:
3.3 t-maxx tranny
opti-drive unit

need:
spur from 3.3 tmaxx or revo
CB from 3.3 tmaxx or revo
.... what else?

Did the trans come with the 3.3 slipper assembly, brake disk, brake pads, brake post?

I'd suggest looking at traxxas.com and finding the 3.3 parts explosion and figure out what you don't have.

it came with the brake post and the linkages, but no slipper, no brake disk or pads.

yeah i was looking at that, but id prefer to use cvd's like i have now, but I'm not sure wich ones to get... i think the ones i have will be too short, do i just get a rear for a 3.3 max? or is there a difference in the length?

I'm sorry, I couldn't say.

I'm going off info from when I had a maxx 3 years ago (pre 3.3 trans) and when I recently had a revo. Hopefully someone will pipe in that has a 3.3 maxx that can help you further.