converting 2.5r to 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git-r-dun

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a T-Maxx 4x4 with the nitro 2.5r motor. I want to convert it to the new 3.3. What is actually needed to do the conversion? I read from Traxxas that the 3.3 motor with the pull start can be used & also that I can use the ez start. I was wondering if the ez start off my 2.5r will fit the 3.3 since it said at the Traxxas site that I could use it. Does it work right? do i also have to replace the back plate or can I use the back plate off of my 2.5r? I really want to continue using my ez start but not too sure of the conversions. also can I still use my original bell clutch from my 2.5r on the 3.3? Can I use the same motor mount from my 2.5r or have to buy a compatible one? Any help with this would be great...thanks:bow:

I have a Jato with the 3.3 and as far as I can tell it is the exact same backplate. I know the 3.3 TMaxx has an updated gearbox but the old style will work for awhile. Just don't get the diff locker or the extra power will shell the whole transmission. I have pictures to prove it. All of your stuff should swap over so have fun with it. If you check a web site called sickhobbies.com the guys name is Brian he has 3.3 engines for real good price; I think $105 for the bare engine. Shoot him an email. Good luck and have fun with it!

the 3.3 Maxx has quite a few differnt changes. They ditched the telescoping drive lines from the maxx and replaced them with the Revo ones. Some internal in the tranny are carried over to the new Maxx platform as well.

As far the the engine dropping right in..IT DOES. You may want to change out your pipe to something that will allow the engine to really peak.

Re: jon2...changing pipe

I already have the Traxxas hop up resonator pipe. It made a big difference with the 2.5r from the stock plastic one...as far as part, I have basically replaced all the diffs, trans & shafts already.Glad I am basically ready for the changeover to the 3.3....:second_place:

if its a 2.5r its a direct drop in because the 2.5r also has the revo tranny right?

Back