Live axles instead of independent...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVO-5309

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i put up a pic of my revo and asked why you guys use live axles instead of independent?

Last edited:
I'm sure its because it isnt a rock crawler, just a show of flex on a Revo MT.

my question was why dont they use cars like a revo for it? live vs independent axles

Many reasons, oh boy you just sparked a big incoming for responses lol.

Okay, the nitro engine for one, doesn't produce any kind of REAL low low throttle response which you really need on the rocks, the IFS suspension doesn't handle as well as SAS because it can't articulate to the ground angles and such., and I am not even sure that any nitro comes with locked diffs which is a MUST at all times on the rocks or you dont do anything.

If they make lockers for nitros someone will chime in and tell you why they are bad.

I leave the rest to other members then feed and respond as needed off thier posts. Way too high to be debating this.

They Do use the style for rock crawling. It's called the traxxas summit

Sent from my X10a

Because solid axles have way better articulation than independent setups.

---------- Post added at 5:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:15 PM ----------

They are also 10 times stronger than most independent systems.

They Do use the style for rock crawling. It's called the traxxas summit

Sent from my X10a

Still not a true crawler, more of a basher with low range feature. Killer nailed it, solid axles, three or four linked F&R, locked up in every diff (some shafties have a center diff, mine does), super low gearing and high turn high TQ motor, etc. My rig is way outdated now and will still lay waste to a summit on the rocks easily.

Serious guys run MOA (motor on axle) setups nowadays for comp rigs, no worry trying to tune out the odd torquing of the chassis from a shafty.

yeh they make lockers for my type, i have one in the rear atm, looking to go back to LSD with 500k oil tho so it gives a bit tho as i dont have steel shafts all round as u could prob tell the high end power is no good for em. iv already twisted one of my plastic shafts :S i dont see how as i can't even twist the others a smig with my own hands.... and yeh i figured the motors being electric would benefit a fair bit. hows the weight tho with the batteries/electric motor vs a nitro motor/fuel tank?

yeh they make lockers for my type, i have one in the rear atm, looking to go back to LSD with 500k oil tho so it gives a bit tho as i dont have steel shafts all round as u could prob tell the high end power is no good for em. iv already twisted one of my plastic shafts :S i dont see how as i can't even twist the others a smig with myown hands.... and yeh i figured the motors being electric would benefit a fair bit. hows the weight tho with the batteries/electric motor vs a nitro motor/fuel tank?

Weight is not and issue, my comp rig weighs between 5 and 6 pounds, well also use smaller 800-1500 mah 2-4 cell lipo batters which are much lighter
and . being that it is a MOA all the weight is on the axles and down low. The other problem with nitro rigs is that because you are going slow that the motor would over heat.

yeh fair enough, makes sense now, especially with the over heating problem.