Hyper 21 8 port ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillightingboy21

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is the Hyper 21 8 port worth it for $150? I have been looking at all of the other 8 port threads and everyone is alway talking about the pull start breaking. My friend let me borrow his 8 port to put in and it was sweet but should i by one for myself? Also if the pullstart does break how do you fix it? I know that you can save your receipt and send it to ofna and get a new pull start but that is to much of a hassle. Also will os #8 glow plugs work in it?

My friend let me borrow his 8 port to put in and it was sweet but should i by one for myself?

Well, you tell us....do you think it would be worth it?
How was the performance?..does it start easy?...etc...

keep searching the threads, i came across one the other day that someone gave a review about that engine.

I am currently running a Hyper 8 port in my Tmaxx, & love it. I replaced the carb with an OS 20E, which made tuning a breeze. This engine has a great powerband. It may not match up to some of the high end mills, but for the price, you can't go wrong...
I just picked up a spare (NIB) on Ebay for $102 shipped. Gotta love Ebay.... lol I believe the OS 8 plugs will work. I have yet to break a pullstart, but always carry a spare.

Well it did start up right away and it ran sweet but i still dont know if i want to get it because of the pull start issue. But how it starts and runs matters how it was broke-in and how it was tuned.

I think that the pull start is always going to be an issue. I am looking for one myself ( a hyper 21 8 port)

I like that Mill but damn that engine must be nice with an OS carb Imbroken...sweet.

liLLi - That's a great mill. I honestly don't think it's specific to that pullstart but then again I break lots of pullstarts in genreal. Big dude with big hands.

Peace

Well, you will break pull starts on these motors.. no matter what.. they are high compression motor.. all .21 motors with a pull start will have some problems.. i had a pull start and got rid of it.. for a bump starter.. much easier..

some of you guys looking for a 8 port.. i got one with bout 2 gallons through it.. still crazy fast.. got it in my dominator.. but selling the truck.. and will sell the motor out of the truck.. 75 bux

I have the 8port race in my lightning pro. It is a great engine for the price and no pull start to mess with! I just got a P5 so now the 8ports has to go. If you have the stock pipe for the lightning I would say you should look for and new one to help out on the 8port.

I'm getting rid of my bump start motor for a pull start. I've gone trhough like 3 starter boxes until i found one that could actaully trun the engine over. i like my pull start super nitro rs4

Originally posted by dgrobe2112
Well, you will break pull starts on these motors.. no matter what.. they are high compression motor.. all .21 motors with a pull start will have some problems.. i had a pull start and got rid of it.. for a bump starter.. much easier..

some of you guys looking for a 8 port.. i got one with bout 2 gallons through it.. still crazy fast.. got it in my dominator.. but selling the truck.. and will sell the motor out of the truck.. 75 bux

I can't stand starter boxes but Roto-starts kick ass cept for lugging around a Torq drill.

Peace

break in on a 8 port motor is tough.. my box is the ofna blue box.. and has tons of torque.. also.. have to head the motor up to get the sleeve and piston to expand a little.. i seen some people use the pull starter on the 8 port.. and wear blisters in their hands... and then break the pull starter before it even started..

Originally posted by dgrobe2112
break in on a 8 port motor is tough.. my box is the ofna blue box.. and has tons of torque.. also.. have to head the motor up to get the sleeve and piston to expand a little.. i seen some people use the pull starter on the 8 port.. and wear blisters in their hands... and then break the pull starter before it even started..

Yep,

Breaking in big bores can be a pain in the arse with lots of broken pullstarts and busted knuckles.

Peace

yeah.. I'm so glad i dont have a pull starter no more.. :) my friend has a pull start 8 port.. and he uses my box starter... hates to pull start his motor

is a pul start with a .21 really that bad? i think I'm gunna get rid of my starter box motor cause the starter is broken and they can barly turn the engine over but maybe now i wont

It may just be me but I would never go back to just a pull start. I have the Ofna blue baox and have yet to not get my 8port or some other peps WS7 to start with it. The only time I had to heat it was the break-in after that I can turn it over on the box. If I ever had to get a pull again I would use my box most of the time that way I would have 2 ways to start it. But hey that's just me.

From what you guys all said I'm kinda of worried about the 8 port. Do you think i would be beter off going with the wasp 26? I think i mit because with the 8 port i mit be breaking pull starts all of the time and i dont want to buy a starter box. That mit save me money but i still want it because i heard that after break-in it is a sweet engine. Also when i break it in if i get it i will heat it up with a blow dryer and put after run oil in it before i start it up. But i dont know what do you guys think? Because the engine is 140 i think that i mit save a little money with the 8 port. I will also wear gloves during break-in. And you more thing can you use an os #8 glow-plug with the 8 port? Thanks.

well, alot of your big block motors are gonna be hard to turn over.. the 8 port is a great motor.. fast.. as soon as you get it broke in.. wear gloves.. and you dont need to put in after run oil before you start it.. as far as plugs go.. depends on your racing style.. but i would definitly break it in on the stock plug.. OS A5 plug is a good plug.. or the OS 8

Heating the motor will be good also.. will let the piston and sleeve expand.. help turn it over.. they reccomend that on all motors just about

Also i just read in another thread that the 8 port doesn't like to keep a tune and you have to adjust it everytime out.

as far as adjusting everytime out.. no.. but when you get big weather changes.. like starts the day of racing at around 60 degrees out.. then by the main you are running in 30 degree weather.. yeah.. retune.. but mine holds a tune pretty well

Another question for those 8 port owners will all of the things like clutch bell from my stock 21bb fit right on the 8 port or will i have to buy anything extra?

Back