Custom Paint Mask Walk-Through (with pics)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentGTboy

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hehe, Remember all my flames and outlines on my RX-7 body?
1503000_0149.jpg

I ripped it all off and started something else. Much better too
yes.gif

Step One
Find and print desired image
150301-PrintImage.jpg

You will need atleast two copies of your image. I suprisingly used six after I was not satified with my first attemps at making my own mask.

Step Two
Cutout your image
150302-CutImage.jpg

I left whitespace around the image because the area I was putting it on was pretty flat, otherwize I would of cut it out.

Step Three
Tape image
150303a-Tapeimagetobody.jpg
150303b-Tapeimagetobody.jpg

Place image on the outside of the body where you would like the mask to be placed. The image will be a guide to help correctly place the mask if the mask contains many sections.

Step Four
Apply tape to the cutting surface
150304-ApplyTape.jpg

Place enough masking tape to cut out the image or a section of the image.

Step Five
Tape image over the mask
150305-ApplyImage.jpg

Tape the image over the mask. If your actual image excedes the width or length of the masking tape then divide the mask into sections. I cut only half of the mask on one peice of tape and the other half on another.

Step Six
Cut the desired edges
150306-CutDesiredEdges.jpg

Cut over the desired egdes pressing very firmly onto the mask with the knife. Remeber, if you can't cut the paper you wont be cutting the mask. Make sure you also don't drag the mask with the egde of the knife messing it up.

Step Seven
Remove the image
150307-RemoveImage.jpg

Recut over everything and cut again to make sure you don't rip the wanted mask when you peel away the excess.

Step Eight
Peel Excess
150308-PeelExcess.jpg

Remove any unwanted masking tape from your cutting surface.

Step Nine
Transfer Mask
150309-ApplyMask.jpg

Transfer the mask aligning everything up with the original image you taped to the ouside of the body.

Step Ten
Finished T=transfer
150310-FinishedTransfer.jpg

Make sure everything is straight, if not make corrections.

Step Eleven
Remove the image
150311-RemoveImage.jpg

Remove your transfer guide.

Step Twelve
Finished Mask
150312-FinishedMask.jpg

Your mask is finished!

Nice post, Silent! I didn't actually understand this masking process until just now. So your masking material is just a wide strip of masking tape?

Looks like you burn up a few jewel cases in the process.

Pretty much! That was my first time doing that. I didn't need that CD case, I've got tons, though that probably wasn't mine :eek: Now what I'd do would be paint the body in one color, then peel off the mask and paint it a second color. Or if I have a air brush I could peel off the bottom part of the mask and paint it one color and move up to the second peices and paint the a slightly light or darker color and move my way up and make the logo fade from one color to a diffrent color.

Back