Spider Mod ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJRC

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just installed the spider gears in both diffs but since the weather outside is heavy rain, I can't reall'y test it out.
But before I get the chance to do so, I do have a question.
With both spiders installed, if I just freely roll the truck on my floor, it seems to have more traction when I give it a push as if the brakes were almost slightly applied. If I were to lift the truck up off the ground and spin the wheels, they seem to spin freely without any type of traction.
Is this the way the spider gears supposed to seem like when the truck is pushed freely by hand on the ground?
Is it supposed to feel like the truck is slightly having brakes on when I push it?
I know before I did the spider gear install, if I were to push my truck on the floor, it moved without much traction. So I am not sure if this seems odd or correct.

You may just need to "break in" the new gears. If you remember breaking in your savage the manuel told you to drive in circles, that was to help break in you diffs. It should looen up a little after you drive it around a little. It might not be as smooth as it was before the spiders, but it shouldn't be hard to push.

well there will be almost twice as much drag in the differntial because of the extra gears being in, i do hope you installed oil.

Ohhhhhh dear!
Thos HotBodies diff gears don't fit into the Savage diff cups properly, is your's completely smooth with them or is it a bit crunchy?? I put them in mine and they lasted 1 1/2 tanks before they stripped completely.........
When I opened the diff up it looked like silver paint in there!
Maybe you'll have more luck, I did the mod properly, using a new cup, new bearings, silicon oil, longer machine screws. I just don't think those gears fit into the Savage cup.
Good luck!!!!
:2cents:

actually I was wrong, it's not the same part numbers from the link I posted above for teh hot bodies gear set. I just posted that as a similar description. The actual part number from hot bodies is C8101-1 so I am still gonna hope it works out ok.

When I built the 4-spider rears for my SS I used the HPI gears, OFNA cross pins, 1000W for the front, and 3000W for the rear. The truck has always pushed easily without any drag.

I highly recommend that you only use the HPI gears designed for the savage. When i bought my savage around xmas time, there was a shortage of bevel gears so i started trying other sets of gears. I tried the ofna hardened gears and they only lasted about 2 tanks, actutally i tried them 3 times and they never lasted. I also tried two sets of the kyosho gears and they too didnt last. I know how to shim gears, so its not like i didnt know what i was doing. Once i got the HPI gears in the diff i had no problem, and they have lasted over two gallons now on a WASP .26! TRUST ME, stick with the HPI gears they are more than adiquate espically with the 4 spider gear mod

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree! I've tried numerous different gear sets now, all wrecked within a few tanks. The HPI ones, as long as they are not the ones that seem to have been manufactured incorrectly, bad casting perhaps, seem to last the longest and mesh the best.
But really it's up to you, I know I read stuff on forums and still went and made the same mistakes so, I suppose you'll see!? Hope all works well for you though!
Good luck!
The attached pic shows the difference between the good gears (left) and bad ones (right) I have contacted HPI but no reply yet, obviously not important to them!

Attachments

• Gears02.jpg
    Gears02.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 62
Well today I tested out the Hot Bodies spider gear set and they hold up great from 3 tanks of numerous terrain, obstacles, jumps, turns and high speed runs. I also went to the LHS and compared the HPI and the Hot Bodies spider diff set and the size and amount of teeth are all the same. The only difference was the the Hot Bodies package said Hardened Gears and HPI didn't. I use the OFNA cross pins which are used for either installs. I guess for those that have tried other manufactures for spider gears and had bad results from them could possibly have been from error of installation.

The reason from the beginning of my thread on this topic on the issure of the truck having a bit of resistance when pushed on the floor manually was because the diff gear grease I had in it needed to bind with the gears and soften up. The truck rolls smooth now after the first breakin on the gears. No clunks and no gear grinds.

One of the things I learned about this hobby is to find a good LHS and put a bit of trust in what they recommend. After all, the LHS is the one that sees and or fixes more damages than anyone so I am sure they know what worked and what didn't work from previous experience.

Back