The Official Alien13 Baja 5b Project Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just somewhere to document what I'm getting done, maybe get a little feedback from everybody too. I got this in the beginning of March. It wasn't very well maintained, and a few parts were broken. Now that I've had some overtime, I could finally start putting some money into it.

First thing I had to to is replace the pull start, since it wouldn't recoil all the way. Rather than screw with it, I figured I would just replace and and I can fix the old one and keep it as a spare.

At the same time, I pulled the air filter, cleaned it up and oiled it. Also installed OuterWears on the air filter and pull start.

Next I installed the Kill Switch from Killer RC. That was a pain to route the wire, but now that it's torn down I can do a better job of that.

Picked up a Dominator V1 rear pipe. Will have questions about that when I get that pic loaded.

On the the pics (The only thing anybody really cares about, right?)

How I got it, this was the day I brought it home.
IMG_2473_zps39440d22.jpg

IMG_2475_zps12d5d0e5.jpg

IMG_2476_zps50b851cc.jpg

IMG_2477_zps7136adea.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsbb0c080c.jpg

IMG_2480_zps1798556d.jpg

IMG_2481_zps7e650777.jpg

IMG_2554_zps4ab16e40.jpg

The Dominator pipe, the bottom mounting tab doesn't touch the screw, and it was up on the roll cage and melted it a bit. Do I have to bend it? Or what do I need to do?
IMG_2569_zpscfc4df35.jpg

Tonight's tear down:
IMG_2570_zpsd4420f7e.jpg

IMG_2571_zps6b87204a.jpg

IMG_2572_zps4e248056.jpg

IMG_2573_zps561f3e8d.jpg

IMG_2574_zps5a25890d.jpg

Will post more as I go, but the next things I have to do are:
Rebuild the shocks
Install a Killer RC power switch, stock switch would shut off if I hit a bump and the location sucked.
Replace the flywheel cover and the head cover
Install the 5T body mounts for a Team Chase cage

At this point, I have all those parts except the cage, and that's en route.

I'm also planning to make another big order next payday, not planning on getting this running anytime soon.

Cleaned up, finally able to tell what's what on here. Not sure if there's any other upgrades, but I see a TR top plate on the front and Hostile axle boots on the rear.

IMG_2576_zpse78dd8e7.jpg

IMG_2578_zps4a80bb7a.jpg

IMG_2577_zps62157a77.jpg

Used a ton of Simple Green, then doused it heavily with hot water. Still some dirt/grime in some areas, but that will have to wait until I do a full winter tear down.

Cage showed up, all parts here, stopped after work to pick up some paint and lexan sheets.

Re-assembly has begun. Replaced the clutch while I had it all apart, good thing, one shoe was worn down pretty good. Discovered the true need for a piston stopper when I broke off a tab on the crankcase while using a pliers to wedge the flywheel and keep it from turning. Snapped the tab off where the support brace mounts up. Good thing I put a new flywheel cover on, since that's where the old cover was broken. This now gives me an excuse to buy a new motor. Also replaced the motor cover.

Put the gas tank back in. Working on the battery box now. Removed the stock switch that was cutting out on me, installed a new Killer RC power switch with some Gorilla glue, then sealed everything else up with some black RTV.

Tomorrow after the sealant sets, I can finish putting that in. Then it's time to start cutting and painting the lexan panels for the cage. While the paint is drying, I can rebuild the shocks. More pics to come tomorrow.

Looks great. I love my bajas. Let me know if u need any minor parts. I might have and can send you.

Awesome, I've been following it on the FB page! Looks great!

Ok, been neglecting my updates here. I'll try to describe the pics as I go.

After starting to put it back together... You can see here that I painted the engine and flywheel covers, also painted the gear cover. Also note the new Killer RC switch on the battery box. Had problems witht he stock switch cutting out on me, so it went into garbage. Also ran across a good deal on a used battery box with a battery, Rhino steering servo, and a Traxxas waterproof servo, all for $60 shipped. I'm using the battery, and planned to use the steering servo, but then I found a good deal on a Savox 0236.
IMG_2594_zps3404ab71.jpg

Rebuilt the shocks, added covers to them
IMG_2596_zpsc9900fc8.jpg

IMG_2597_zps220b0c34.jpg

This is all the oil that came out of the shocks. Two were dry, and two were less than half full.
IMG_2595_zpsd5f9be16.jpg

This is the cage after installing the 5T body mounts, and the body panels attached to the cage, waiting for paint.
IMG_2602_zpsa40b28c3.jpg

Painted up and almost ready to rock!
IMG_2603_zps714c6c07.jpg

IMG_2604_zps482ec383.jpg

Note the camera in the window, the mount is permanently fastened tot he roof so I can just slide the camera in when I want to run.
IMG_2605_zps162061c9.jpg

I also replaced the rear shock towers with a set of Team Chase towers, and some DDM rear springs.

What's left? I'm waiting on the Savox steering servo, should have that this week, and I have a spare Savox servo from when I was racing short course, that will be used for the throttle servo. At that point, it should be ready to rock.

Probably come winter I'll tear it down again, I want to get a new engine and build a good stout transmission to handle it. Other upgrades will come along, but it'll be a slow build. I try hard not to buy anything unless I can find a good deal.

So sick!!! Wish I lived further north!

If we get enough people to join the group (invite some friends!) and find a prime location, then maybe we can get a group meet planned for later this summer, or sometime next summer.

So...I'm going to be that guy....bringing this back to life

Any new updates ?

Looks great so far. I love a good Baja build thread. I really need to get some picks of mine posted...

So...I'm going to be that guy....bringing this back to life

Any new updates ?
Yes. I actually did a complete tear down and rebuild in first quarter of 2017, including a brand new G320 engine. Unfortunately, last year I was very busy and only ran one tank. It's now sitting on my workbench waiting for a clutch replacement, because I don't like the one that came with the engine.

Back