Best 4wd buggy for on-road/off-road?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XNitroAddictX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm looking for a nice 4wd nitro buggy that is good for on-road speed, and off-road jumping. For on-road use, i'll just do some speed passes, a little bit of going through the grass and a bit of curb jumping. For off-road i'll just be mainly hitting big/medium jumps and just messing around. I want something thats fast, but durable and with a wide range of hop-ups available. I would like it to be around 550ish$

--
Could an admin change "buddy" to "buggy" in the title? I miss typed that:)

Last edited:
You should post a budget, that way we could recommend something to ya. Price ranges seem to go from $150 to 1K. I had a Losi 8ight 2.0 and that thing was a lot to handle, it was quick! It was a great rig and is in the medium price range and can be had from 4-$650. Just remember if your budget is for the lower end of the scale, you will break parts like crazy and ultimately spend a lot replacing them vs. spending a little more and having a more durable rig. This is a very expensive hobby and if you think your going to save money, you won't. Its either going to cost you up front or your going to spread out payments long term!

I know this:) I'm not new to the hobby, i have a castle creations rustler, castle creations merv, a jato 3.3 and 2 revos bb conversions. I just am very interested in a buggy, and i'm not quite sure which company to move to. I was looking at ofna, heard they're a pretty good company. MY price range is about 550ish, can be a bit over.

Ofna Hyper 7 and Thunder Tiger EB4 S2.5 are all great choices for your price range IMO. Both of them are durable and plenty of parts available.
If you're looking to invest a little more maybe look into a Mugen MBX7 or a Losi 8ight

Last edited:
Are you looking new or used? If used, check out a Losi 810. Stupid fast buggies and very, very durable. A slew of 'hop-ups' available (it shares 95% same parts as the SCTE). You cannot find them new anymore, but imagine you can find a good one for like$200-250. You can even get a new stock engine (Losi 3.4) for under $100. I have three of those engines and that buggy is possibly our fastest (so no need to throw an LRP or anything in it). And it can jump small, medium, or as high as you want it to. ;-) I imagine if you bought one for $200 and put another $100 in rebuilding it...it would give you exactly what you are looking for. PM me if you are interested in and I'll hook you up with where to buy one, what to look for, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hyper 7, Losi 8ight 2.0 and Mugen buggies (I have each of those as well)...Mugen might be a little much for what you are wanting...after all is said and done you're at about $1,000 for a good setup. Losi 8ight 2.0 would probably put you over your budget as well. The Hyper 7 is a straight-up thug, but to be fast it requires new engine and reduction in at least 3-5 ounces. If you are looking new, that would be my suggestion.

Funny...as your description of what you were looking for got me thinking about the Jato...then saw you had one. While I don''t have a Jato, I imagine each of the buggies suggested thus far is more durable (stock v stock) so assume durability is key?

Just remember if your budget is for the lower end of the scale, you will break parts like crazy and ultimately spend a lot replacing them vs. spending a little more and having a more durable rig.
This is truth here. I realize you already understand it, but for those reading...and pondering, the durability jump in vehicles is utterly amazing.

I would prefer new out of the box, i've not had very good luck buying used rc's... Do you know top speeds of the losi 810?
--
The hyper 7 or a mugen is something i had my eye on, but mugens are pretty up there price wise... (Sure i would just throw another couple hundred bucks down for one, but only one problem... I'm only 15 and this is not a cheap hobby. Especially when your parents WILL NOT spend 1 dime on these things.) The losi 8ight 2.0 is a beautiful buggy, i would love to have that thing in my collection. Whats one of the biggest engines you think i could drop in the hyper 7, and how fast do you think it would run?
--
Yeah the jato 3.3 was my first ever nitro, the trx 3.3 is a nice engine. BUT it WILL NOT keep a tune for me, EVERY single time i went out to drive it, i always had to bring all my stuff and had to keep re-tuning it.

Last edited:
You can buy my jato with tons of parts and holds a tune really well! ;) hyper 7 reaches about 35-40 with a .26 engine and dual speed conversion.

How much for that jato?:p I'm looking for something that would do like 55... Is there any other buggies that would be better?

Do you know top speeds of the losi 810?
--
Not at all. I saw a guy do 48 out of the box (while tuning it) and have heard of guys getting up to 58. I'm not too concerned with top end. It has the sickest mid-range I've ever seen on nitro buggy.

Regarding Hyper 7, I have an O.S. 25XZ and it's plenty fast. Probably only buggy that can hang with my 810 when it comes to speed. If you are looking for a fast on-road buggy that can handle light bashing...I don't think the Hyper 7 is for you. It's a villainous buggy that thrives on extreme bashing, and you will have to make fast (new engine/pipe, fluids, lighter parts, etc.). However it's a whole lot easier making a vehicle fast than it is durable. At least IMO.

Last edited:
Back