clicking noise in my Merv

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mn Monster

RCNT Nitro Sniffer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i just got my Merv a week ago, and now i'm hearing a clicking noise at take off, once up to speed it goes away. i'm guessing this is the rear diff gears starting to show signs of wear, but i have not had time to take it apart to see for sure. is this a common thing with these ? if i shim the rear diff, will it help (for awhile) before i have to replace it? any help from you Merv owners would be appreciated!!!!

Always make sure that the diffs are properly shimmed in these little beasts. They will eat them on LiPo (especially on 3s) if not done.

It's definitely the rear diff and it's won't last much longer! Like Hamz said be sure to shim them and they should last....Unless you do something silly like run an over geared 1/10 system in it, then you break them anyway :D

The problem you have is only common if you quick on the trigger. I had the same problem with in a week also. Instead of buying the same part again I opted for hotracing 1/16 revo hardened steel helical cut differential. Front and rear. So far these thing are really tough.

The helical cut gears are as close to bullet proof as it gets!

I'm still on stock diffs that are over 2 years old, and run both 2s and 3s power. I still wonder how you guys are destroying diffs if the diffs and slipper are setup right to begin with. That being said, I have never done a standing back flip and never will because I know they're hell on diffs. Everything else is fair game though, and I do a lot of wheelies. :D

I always lock the slipper down tight, I did standing back flips front flips, I ran a 1/10 brushless system with the biggest pinion I could find on 3s......One of those could be the reason my merv ate rear diffs LOL

Yep that would do it. :D I tighten my slippers all the way down, then back off 1/4 turn. I still have a tight enough slipper to wheelie anytime I want, but just enough give when landing from jumps, the wheels unload going over a bump at high speed, etc.

A melted slipper is no fun. I know from personal experience. @HPIguy is right on the adjustments. No more slipper problems on my mERV since I did that with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a steel spur and locked it down tight, and a more or less bulletproof transmission. The only thing I noticed was it was slightly louder....like you could hear the gears spinning.

I used a steel spur and locked it down tight, and a more or less bulletproof transmission. The only thing I noticed was it was slightly louder....like you could hear the gears spinning.

Why in the world would you eliminate the one thing that is super cheap to replace, and acts as a fuse by saving expensive (comparatively) diffs and other parts? I just don't understand that mentality, spur gear is easy to replace and cheap, diffs are a PITA to replace and not cheap.

For standing backflips, and front flips, but the T-Bones chassis brace and wheelie bar combo eliminates that ability at the moment. Plus I've been wanting to use a stronger motor, but it's a lack of an ESC that's putting that on hold for the time being.

A melted slipper is no fun. I know from personal experience. @HPIguy is right on the adjustments. No more slipper problems on my mERV since I did that with mine.

Don't you run a center diff in your merv? That alone would eliminate most common driveline problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I have it installed. I'm using a one way diff. It only works under throttle, under braking it's not suppose to be sending power to the front......I suppose it's to make i corner easier, but I've noticed only the rear tires spin when it gets stuck.

Yeah, I'm running a center diff and I still melted the slipper. Stupid me.

new parts showed up today, hope to have time this weekend to get the diffs rebuilt.

Monster did you get it sorted? I know when MBR and I was out running ours, his started clicking, like a twig in the wheel, turns out it was just a spur gear. Had a hard landing from a 20 foot jump and the motor flattened a few teeth. click click click.....lol

I've done numerous standing backflips, wheelie at most any speed, and other stupid crap with mine....holding up good so far, and it's box stock. Jeez, I'm asking for it now...lol

-NB

Back