Noob when it comes to Lipos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srusinek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have the following charger and I'm a total noob when it comes to charging Lipos:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLH3

The question I have is when I'm charging my Duratrax Onyx 5000 mah 35c lipo battery is I have the balance block plugged in to my battery along with the deans connector. My charger has 4 options regarding charging/discharging batteries: Lipo charge, Lipo balance, Lipo fast charge and Lipo discharge. Right now I'm using the balance option with everything I said above hooked up. The questions I do have is do I have to choose the balance feature when I'm charging in general or can I just use the charge feature and the balance block will automatically balance the pack? At the track when I use the fast charge option, does that hurt the pack at all? Thanks for any help in advance, Steve

You need to use the balance function in order to balance the cells.

The fast charge option can lower the life expectancy of the battery (the number of charge cycles) but not terribly so (I guess about 10% of the battery life, but this is a guess). Most Racers that I know at my local track charge at a 2c or fast charge rate.

Thanks for the quick reply. On the quick charge setting it doesn't list a c rating, only in amps. So if I follow the guidelines of a nimh where I would keep the amps under 5 for a 5000 mah battery, would that still shorten the life span of the battery?

So if I follow the guidelines of a nimh where I would keep the amps under 5 for a 5000 mah battery, would that still shorten the life span of the battery?

That wisdom is the same with LiPo packs. At or below 1C charge rate will maximize battery life. Remember, though-as Hamz said, the balance function is important. I never do more than 2 unbalanced charges in a row.

Ok. Depending on time at the track between runs will dictate which charge I use. Thanks for the reply, Steve

Back