Tried Something New Today....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
The LBS invited me out for the weekly beginner group road bike ride, and even loaned me a bike. I covered 12.2mi in 52 minutes, and me and one other mtb guy broke away from the pack and lead the group pretty much the whole way. It is WAY different than what I had in my head, and a crap load of fun IMO. I would have figured I'd have hated it to be honest with you. Don't get me wrong, you suffer, but with a group to motivate you it's just so much different, at least for me.

This was my ride for the evening, but probably not the bike I'm buying. Huge thanks to Dave and Pam at Smoky Mountain Bicycles for loaning me the bike and introducing me to something that I didn't even think I could survive, much less like. :hehe:

photoMedium_zps64e9de6d.jpg

My Strava report for the day

http://www.strava.com/activities/140857156

Cool man! That does sound like a lot of fun. I have a trek mountain bike but no one to ride with so it doesn't get used much. Never tried a road bike but I love to ride.

12 miles? Hella good start, I get pissy when I have to drive 12 miles.

I bet it seems easier too with a group doesn't it? Might not just be dwelling on the fact that its kicking your ass.

Congrats. 12 miles is a great ride.

Riding with a group is the way to go. On fast rides you draft, and on more casual rides you have some motovation!

One of the local brewers have weekly bike club that I rode with last year. Did their long route (20miles) once or twice and having a group with you does certainly help but dang it nearly killed me doing it on a MTB.

I'd like to get a road bike this year. What about that TREK did you not like that made you not want to buy it?

I thought you were gonna say guys. ;) lol

But our roads around here are too poop for onroad cycling.

Thanks guys!

One of the local brewers have weekly bike club that I rode with last year. Did their long route (20miles) once or twice and having a group with you does certainly help but dang it nearly killed me doing it on a MTB.

I'd like to get a road bike this year. What about that TREK did you not like that made you not want to buy it?

I liked the Trek a lot actually, just going to the next model up component wise since the road bike will see a lot of miles a year. Riding road on a MTB has no comparison to a road bike other than you're on the road. It is a HUGE difference being on a road bike, much, much easier IMO. I mean you could road race a monster truck with slicks, but a touring car would probably work better.

I thought you were gonna say guys. ;) lol

But our roads around here are too poop for onroad cycling.

HELL NO! Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Seinfeld) :hehe:

Having good roads definitely helps. If I was still in TX, I would have zero desire to road ride. You might as well ride on a treadmill.

Looking at the 1.5 eh? Trek really did a great job with the 1 series this year! The added mudguard and fender mounts make it a perfect roadie :)

Yessir, the 1.5 for the Tiagra groupset, although it's a 2013 model the only thing that changed for 2014 is color. I like the color better on the 2013 though, and I get a deep discount since it's a leftover. :D

Last edited:
Went by the LBS on the way home and nailed down my decision, I spent the extra on the 1.5 since it will see a lot more miles than the MTB. I'll post pics when I get it. I can hear Dave cussing me now since he has to flip the brakes (meaning unwrapping the bar tape, and re-routing the cables and re-adjusting everything). I run a moto brake setup, not the silly reverse setup normally found on US bicycles. :D

Most LBS are more than happy to do a little work to make the sale. At least he didn't have to order all of the parts and have to assemble it from scratch.

Oh he doesn't mind doing it, still ribs me about my backwards brakes though. To me, it's everyone else that's backwards. And if you ride motorcycles, IMHO it's dangerous.

why does everyone run clipless on road bikes? Is there an advantage?

It allows for maximum pedaling efficiency. Not only can you push down on the pedal you can pull up as well

why does everyone run clipless on road bikes? Is there an advantage?

I run clipless on all my bikes actually, mtb included. Not only is it more efficient use of power, but I just fell more connected to the bike. Things like bunny hops over debris or logs, jumping, etc; with the bike connected to you, you have much more influence over it.