Small battery rant

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have ordered a Losi 8ight T 3.0 which I plan on converting to electric. I have bought the conversion kit and the motor and the pinion gear. I am almost $1000 into this truck and then I go looking for 2 battery packs to run it......that will be another $400!!! I knew 4s packs were not cheap but $189 per pack....or more seems a bit ridiculous! Why are they so expensive? It is just a battery pack....it can't be that expensive to manufacture. My budget was $160 for 2 packs.....but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. I know there are cheaper options but I want to good packs to race with and hopefully last a good long while. I am not new to rc....and I know they have always over charged for batteries....but what is a guy with a limited budget got to do to get a couple of decent 4s packs?!!

You need to talk @Killer RC into making you some 4s batteries! :D

Last edited:
Some guys use a pair of 2s packs in series for a 4s substitution. I paid about $50 for 2s Venom 5000 mAH at my LHS for my VTA car.

Some guys use a pair of 2s packs in series for a 4s substitution. I paid about $50 for 2s Venom 5000 mAH at my LHS for my VTA car.

That's definitely an option but 4 2s packs will still set me back $200. At least that is closer to my budget. I know I'm whining.....and I am sorry. It's just this hobby just keeps getting more and more expensive. Truth is I should have done my homework better and budgeted more for batteries. It is just hard to believe sometimes that for what two batteries cost I could almost buy another kit. Most batteries carry no warrantee either which makes paying that much money that much harder.

Venom does have a warranty. You just have to register them on the company's website.

I feel your pain Tom, that's why I only run cheap packs now. Not much of an issue since I don't race.

I got asked by a buddy of mine if I would race with him at some of the more local events, a couple which are ROAR races......which is the other thing....the packs must be approved packs which limits my choices. I stopped racing too....but got sucked back in Lol!

The Venom pack that I bought is ROAR certified, if that helps. I got it for my VTA car as I said earlier.

The Venom pack that I bought is ROAR certified, if that helps. I got it for my VTA car as I said earlier.

Hey Hamz... A lot of the Venom stuff is currently out of stock... which battery did you buy? I also found a website www.smc-racing.net

Their prices seem pretty reasonable... but they are out of stock on a couple of their more high end batteries. Has anyone every heard of this site or company?

Hey Hamz... A lot of the Venom stuff is currently out of stock... which battery did you buy? I also found a website www.smc-racing.net

Their prices seem pretty reasonable... but they are out of stock on a couple of their more high end batteries. Has anyone every heard of this site or company?

I use their packs on almost a daily basis and I love them. These are just as good also. http://spcracingbatteries.com/index.php?route=common/home SMC and SPC are the only two companies I will ever buy batteries from.

Last edited:
SPC, and SMC both filled my order for wraith batteries p but theyy weren't as big as the venoms I couldv'e got.

I've only been running SMC packs and have never had a problem. Well I had one pack with a slight swell to it aafter a few days of having it mad never being used. The warranteed the battery no questions asked.