play,,, movement in steering components good or bad :P

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McoupeRS4EVO

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So what do you guys reccomend.
as in play I mean up down left right..

Like IF you hold a wheel and shake it.

Do you guys, I'm kinda asking bashers aswell as racers, opinions are golden.

so yeah do you guys like it tight and solid, or with a little bit of play, or sloppy?

I just ripped apart my car last night. and Tightened everything up with a shim set from tamiya. I'm just wondering if its easier to break stuff this way. or if i should go back to a little bit of play.

If you want to get anal about it like I am, you want as little play as possible without binding. I usually isolate every moving part and find a way to make it have as little play as possible. Individually there may not be a lot of play in a single component but collectively it ads up.

IMO,
It strengthens your RC as well as making it preform better.

yeah, I pretty much eliminated all play in the front and rear ends.

I added bearings to my steering kit, so its almost effortless, I dont know though because I havnt installed the radio tray, I'm waiting to see what I can come up with for mounting this engine with out any movement.

Thanks eddy. I thought to myself you dont really want your poop wobbling around at high speeds. just increases the chances of something coming loose and being destroyed..

IMO, If you have too much play especially in an on-road vehicle, it can create instability. For Bashing purposes I tend to be more forgiving. Doesn't mean I want slop, I will still try for "as little" slop as possible. FastEddy has a great point, it will make your RC stronger.

Onroad--No slop but most cars have caster and Toe adjustments to tayler your style of driving.

Offroad, most have similar adjustments but being offroad the road is already rough so again I like to keep it to a minimum.

Steering components, I think I prefer them to be very little slop but tune your servo saver if it is built in or make sure the steering posts move freely.

Last edited:
sterring posts are like buttttter,

What I dont like is the after market suspension shaft set doesn't fit aluminum A arms properly.

So i have 3 mm on each side which is bullshit.

Is the for a RS4 Evo like in your UN? I can say that if it didn't get designed for aluminum, then be prepared for fitment issues. MY LST has A-Arms and I had to shave a little off of to allow the hinge pins to properly go through. That was only one of them. The rest fit in flawlessly.

Hudy just announced a new tool to ream out the hinge pin holes in a-arms. I saw it in this months XRC. It comes in 3mm for on road and 4mm for the larger RCs. I have always used a drill bit by hand then polished the pins.

Oh I got them in perfectly. the will go through with ease..

what I'm saying is

If this is how it should be

Well they went in very easy.

but what I'm saying is the hinge pin that holds the uprights to the a arm.
stick out 3 mm on each side. like it shouldnt stick out at all it the E clips should be flush or almost flush with the a arm. they infact are not and I have 3 mm in between the e clip and a arm.

I had the original RTR3 RS4 and all the hingepins fit fine almost snug. Did yours originally fit with the stock arms before your changed to Aluminum arms?

McoupeRS4EVO said:
Oh I got them in perfectly. the will go through with ease..

what I'm saying is

If this is how it should be

Well they went in very easy.

but what I'm saying is the hinge pin that holds the uprights to the a arm.
stick out 3 mm on each side. like it shouldnt stick out at all it the E clips should be flush or almost flush with the a arm. they infact are not and I have 3 mm in between the e clip and a arm.

yeah , but they are different.. the only have an e clip on one side and its pretty much pressed in.

this suspension shaft set came with the rear brace.. and the shafts from the rear.. fit the front perfect.. but they are meant for the rear because the space is there to accomodate the rear brace.

Are you saying the shaft that you are using are meant for the Rear not the front?

no I'm saying...

That the New set of shafts I bought.

The rear fits the front perfectly.

BUT the kit comes with a rear brace. and you need to long shafts for the rear brace. and the ones that are for the front are to long.

Have you contacted the manufacturer? Sounds as though it may be their fault or they may even have a solution for you.

McoupeRS4EVO said:
no I'm saying...

That the New set of shafts I bought.

The rear fits the front perfectly.

BUT the kit comes with a rear brace. and you need to long shafts for the rear brace. and the ones that are for the front are to long.

From a pure basher viewpoint, slop in steering ends up making the RC tendancy to bump steer a bit worse and in some cases unpredictable. As in your inputs might not give you the desired result as the slop allows the RC to go where the wobbly wheels and steering end up taking it.

Tighten to the point where it moves freely without any binding or hanging up. Just my opinion.

Back