will pontiac decals work ok on chevy body???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
ok, here's what I got:

Slixx #20 Tony Stewart decal set. This is his rookie season set for the '99 Pontiac body

Slixx #12 Ryan Newman decal set. Does not match current Nascar body.

Protoform '02 Monte Carlo oval body

Protoform Dodge R/T oval body (on order at LHS)

Bolink '97 Pontiac oval body

Ok, so I wanna paint and decal both as Christmas gifts for a couple friends of mine. The #12 I'm not so concerned about since the decals aren't so "body specific" I shouldn't have a problem using only the necessary decals on the new Protoform Dodge body while using paint for any major scheme differences (like the grill mostly)

I don't really care for the Bolink body as much just because it's just not as nice as the Protoform Chevy I have. I would like to use the Pontiac decals and paint the Chevy body in his rookie season paint scheme. But I'm just wondering if I'll have a problem getting the pontiac decals to look right on the Chevy body. The #20 decal set has a lot of very body specific decals (such as pinstriping) that are designed for the curves of the pontiac body.

Are waterslide decals flexible enough to make this work??? What do you guys think?

I can tell you from my 1/24 and 1/25 plastic model days that water transfer decals are very brittle. They rip and tear with little preasure, with some patience you should pull it off though.

Lessen, where did you ever find rookie season Tony Stewart decals. :whistle:

I am thinking of using the HPI 2000 monte carlo body for my set.

I am getting ready to do an Parma 89 Ford Thunderbird body, in Davey Allisons black, white, red, and gold paint scheme. I just found a set of the gold Havoline decals, now I just have to locate the gold number 28s. I know for a fact they exist, I missed out on a set a few weeks ago, I am still kicking myself.

Anyway, let me know which body you decide to go with so I know how well it works for you, before I do mine.

okie dokie, I'm not sure when I'm gonna do it but it'll be sometime this month. I'll try to post some pics also. Oh... I was thinking about doing decals before paint. What do you think about that? That way I would know where to mask.

I have a 28/42 tribute ballcap in that color scheme. That car (paint scheme) IS pretty cool.

You could try n make those gold decals... I have a link to a site that sells blank 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of waterslide decals. got it pretty recently here in the forum. Just scan the 28 you got then modify it to gold then print. It would be much more expensive but think of what else you could do with it..... just a thought

I dont think waterslide will work too well on a nitro rc. I know the decals I want do exist, they have the numbers, headlight blackout decals, and I think a few minor sponsors. That is one of my all time favorite paint schemes. I have a poster from when Ernie Irvan drove that same scheme autographed by Ernie.

As far as decaling it first, I think with the Stewart decals, that it would probably be a very good idea to do that. That paint scheme is fairly complex, and I think that getting the colors to line up perfectly with the stripes would be next to impossible without decaling it first. I know I am going to apply my decals first then paint for the stewart body. I will do the same for the Bobby Labonte Interstate Pontiac I have the decals for too.

I just recently did a Michael Waltrip Napa chevy, and a Rusty Wallace taurus, they both came out really nice. I really enjoy doing nascar bodies. Make sure you post pics of yours when they are done. I am looking forward to seeing how they come out.

NCNitro said:
I dont think waterslide will work too well on a nitro rc.

oops.... hehe, I was totally under the assumption that these were waterslide decals. After reading your post I took a better look at them. Ahhhh! Derrr. this should be easier than anticipated...

LOL, yeah much easier than waterslide for sure, and hold up much better. You can also spray windex on the body before you apply the decal, this will allow it to be moved and repositioned. Slixx decals are by far the best on the market, and can even be moved or repositioned fairly easily even without the windex.

as long as you dont put ford emblems on a chevy or doing ok lol good luck on your project