RC Car Action World's Fastest RC Car Challenge!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As some of you know, RC Nitro built a 100mph Super Nitro. This is a contest inspired by that car. The basic rules are minimal, car can't be longer than 40 inches and any powerplant is allowed as long as it drives the wheels.

I've got a RS4 project car that i'm building up for high speed runs. If my financial and work situation allows it, then I will most definitely be entering the event. They have not announced the date or where it will be at, but I know it will be somewhere in southern california most likely during the summer.

If you can make it out to this event, or enter, it would be something to watch or participate in. I believe it will be dominated by the electrics since their potential is so high. I've heard of a few people wanting to stack like 24 batteries in a car with a brushless motor. Also, there are a bunch of people that are building their cars damn near from scratch. Several people will have dual hand modified .21's in their cars.

It will definitely get interesting. With so many forces on the car at over 90mph, expect some of the most amazing crashes ever seen. Also, someone will break the world record.

www.rccaraction.com said:
car_challenge.asp

the Vehicles

1. Wheel-driven vehicles only. Vehicles powered by thrust (jet, rocket, propeller, etc.) are not allowed. Turbine power is allowed only if the turbine is used to drive the wheels, not for thrust.

2. Vehicles may be powered by engine(s) or motor(s) of any number and configuration.

3. Vehicles may be any weight, with any chassis configuration and any number of wheels—but the completed vehicle may not exceed 40 inches (1016mm) in length.

4. All vehicles must use commercially available FM radio gear with a functioning fail-safe system set to apply full brake in the event of signal loss or interference.

5. Vehicles are not required to look like any type of "real" car or truck, but all entries must have some type of 3-dimensional “cockpit area” with windows (clear or painted). It’s OK if your car looks like a space ship as long as it appears to have a place for a guy to sit.

6. The vehicle must remain operable after its speed runs. Sacrificial motors or power systems that are inoperable after a run are not permitted.

7. Drivers must operate their vehicles from a fixed position. Chase cars are not permitted.

8. Drivers or teams may enter as many cars as they like.

the entrants

Entrants will be divided into three classes: Manufacturer Team, Independent Team and Individual.

MANUFACTURER TEAM: entries fielded by RC companies will run in the Manufacturer Team class.

INDEPENDANT TEAM: if the entered vehicle is the collaboration of three or more individuals operating without the support of a manufacturer, it will run in the Independent Team class. High school shop teams, university engineering departments, RC clubs ... this is your class!

INDIVIDUAL: any vehicle entered by a single person will run in the Individual class.

the winner

Each vehicle will be given three attempts to make its fastest run through an electronic speed trap. The vehicle with the absolute highest peak speed will be declared the overall winner, and separate awards will be given to the fastest vehicles in the Manufacturer, Independent and Individual classes.

Special awards will also be given for “Most Innovative Design,” “Fastest-Looking”, “Fastest Production Car” (for vehicles that are still recognizable as production-based cars and trucks), “Fastest Engine-Powered Car” and “Fastest Electric Car.” We may also make up some awards at the event, based on the type of vehicle that show up (Fastest Monster Truck? Fastest Motorcycle? Surprise us!). It’s a top-speed contest, but we’ll also reward creativity and originality; we don’t want every car to be a rail with 20 cells.

Where & When

The event will be scheduled not earlier than June 1, 2005 (exact date to be announced) and will take place at the Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, CA. Stay tuned to RC Car Action and rccaraction.com for details.

I've got most of the main parts here. My engine is on backorder and I still need a pipe. Also, i'm going to need to gather a lot of setup equipment as well as spare parts.

Slowly i'm getting the money I need. But it'll be several months before everything is together. Still haven't decided if I want to build the car as parts come in, or wait until absolutely everything is in and take a weekend of building.

up date us on your progress curtis

awesome find Kwong! That would be a mighty pricey wreck eh? Very cool though. I'm sure it's got lot's of bugs to work out but all in the name of creativity. :thumbsup:

seems like that guy would loose so much power from trying to blow a fan to power the car. I'm sure the turbine make a lot of power, but not that much I don't think. *shrug*

Looks nice, I am with you bigfreak. I would like to see how the drive train, and diffs hold up.

I highly doubt that car has Differentals. I would guess it has a solid axle which wuld be all that would be required for straight line speed runs.

Besides, torque would be minimal. It would be RPM's that it would have to withstand. Aren't turbines a minimum of a grand for the turbine and electronics to control it?

Cool idea, I'd like to see it run... those turbines don't seem push out a whole lot of thrust, but they sound really cool.

I don't know. I saw a show on TV once wih turbine jets. They looked looked like they had plenty of thrust to me. They said it went over 200MPH!!!! Try that with a prop plan.

I do agree that the fan set up looks like it would loose alot of energy though. The fan is obviously out of a turbo, or superchager, and is probably quit efficient it self. The guy should try and utilize the housing that fan came out of to lessen blow by. Or something like it, as the original housing is probably bulky, and heavy.

I went to his site and emailed him just to see progress. He replied this morning and said that he's changed quite a bit. But then he referred me back to the site, so I don't know if the site is new pics or what.

All I was thinking about the "torque" is that it's air passing over another turbine. If it was hydraulic instead of pneumatic, then I could see a lot of torque. Beings that it is pneumatic, with a turbine, it will have some killer RPM's though.

Well i know they have turbines in full scale hydroplanes that run off of a transmission. If someone made a jet engine that uses any type of transmission, then they could easily win the contest. They make rediculous HP and RPM. You would just have to build it to pretty big scale.

That's really the only way I can see someone harnessing the power potential.

I wonder if they hook it up to the shaft of the turbine itself or depend on the air coming out of it to run another turbine...

What fuel or battery or whatever does a turbine run on?

I believe they run off of VERY similiar fuel as normal jet engines...whatever they run off of...lol

They're HELLA complicated though. I think they use propane just to get them started.

When it comes to top speed, power and aerodynamics matter a lot more than weight. What I'm thinking is that an engine out of a fullsize motorcycle making around 180hp driving minibike tires with the whole thing covered by some type of body would be able to go well over 200. If only makes since if the actual motorcycle can do almost 200 with a person on it. The R/c version would be lighter and much more aerodynamic.

They dont specify a width either. You could turbocharge 2 suzuki 1300 engines and be making over 400hp in something that weighs only a couple hundred pounds, if that.

in the few turbine cars and motorcycles that do exist, i believe there is a shaft directly connecting the turbine to the transmission. Someone might be able to cheat a little bit and have a shaft driving the wheels, but have the turbine pointing backwards so it provides thrust that way as well.

As far as what turbines run on, it depends on the turbine. Many of them can run on just about any kind of fuel. If its a liquid that burns, the turbine will burn it.

63mph RC10GT said:
When it comes to top speed, power and aerodynamics matter a lot more than weight. What I'm thinking is that an engine out of a fullsize motorcycle making around 180hp driving minibike tires with the whole thing covered by some type of body would be able to go well over 200. If only makes since if the actual motorcycle can do almost 200 with a person on it. The R/c version would be lighter and much more aerodynamic.

They dont specify a width either. You could turbocharge 2 suzuki 1300 engines and be making over 400hp in something that weighs only a couple hundred pounds, if that.

in the few turbine cars and motorcycles that do exist, i believe there is a shaft directly connecting the turbine to the transmission. Someone might be able to cheat a little bit and have a shaft driving the wheels, but have the turbine pointing backwards so it provides thrust that way as well.

As far as what turbines run on, it depends on the turbine. Many of them can run on just about any kind of fuel. If its a liquid that burns, the turbine will burn it.

If you read the rules that Kwong posted, it can't be longer than 40 inches. So that means that your suzuki engines are out of the question. And for the turbines it also states that thrust is not allowed hence the reason for the prop turning the wheels.

Wow, what would work is a model heli turbine engine. They have a gearbox with a shaft output that could be used to turn the axle. That would make a 40" car not only fast but dangerous- imagine if it came off the ground at 125 mph! I'm going to try to talk a buddy into this; he has a 1/8 ofna road car that would work with a good engine. Maybe a ported sirio 28 running 40-50% nitro....