Truggy or Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spazz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, I wanted to know what car is better to ride in the park and for fun. A truggy or buggy?

Probably a truggy, depending on your terrain. Truggys have more ground clearance and bigger tires to help with rough terrain, buggies are great for smoother packed dirt.

AC48 said:
Probably a truggy, depending on your terrain. Truggys have more ground clearance and bigger tires to help with rough terrain, buggies are great for smoother packed dirt.

well, I'm going to be running it on grass and on the street.

ok, spazz your starting to live up to your name LOL....as we were trying to help your choice in your other thread about this, you said you made up your mind on the hyper 8 pro....so here go's

**buggy**...not really meant to be a basher, they sit fairly low so grass of any real hieght will put resistence on it & possibly make the engine run hot.... they are really setup more for racing...if your just going to bash and really want a buggy imo dont go for a higher end buggy, get something like a xtm xterminator its a tough less expenceve buggy

**truggy**...basicly a buggy with differnt gearing & bigger tires, truggys can go in places buggys shouldnt...like grass

**monster truck**... imo the best option for a first rc buyer, ...high ground clearance & in the case of the savage can take tons of abuse.. monster trucks can run just about anywhere so your not limited to where you can run.

retarded pilot said:
ok, spazz your starting to live up to your name LOL....as we were trying to help your choice in your other thread about this, you said you made up your mind on the hyper 8 pro....so here go's

**buggy**...not really meant to be a basher, they sit fairly low so grass of any real hieght will put resistence on it & possibly make the engine run hot.... they are really setup more for racing...if your just going to bash and really want a buggy imo dont go for a higher end buggy, get something like a xtm xterminator its a tough less expenceve buggy

**truggy**...basicly a buggy with differnt gearing & bigger tires, truggys can go in places buggys shouldnt...like grass

**monster truck**... imo the best option for a first rc buyer, ...high ground clearance & in the case of the savage can take tons of abuse.. monster trucks can run just about anywhere so your not limited to where you can run.

so where is it ok to run a buggie? I'm really interested in a buggie.

On a well groomed race track.
You can run it on the street, but if you hit anything (and you will), you will do a lot of damage to the buggy and what ever you hit.
I'll give you my suggestion.
First get some money, then get a monster truck.

After reading your posts, I would highly recommend you pick up a Savage X.
The buggies & Truggies are really meant to be run on the track. They will not hold up to bashing in the park nearly as well as a Savage. The Savage by no means is a juvenile, beginner truck. It's one of the best MT's on the market, and has probably the most aftermarket support. It may not come in "kit" form, but that doesn't mean you can't rip it down and rebuild it. Most will suggest that you do that anyway, so all screws can be threadlocked or CA'ed...
Good luck with your choice..

you will probily be fine at your park, as long as the grass is cut fairly short

If you want to run on pavement, get an on-road. They are the only things that really do well and are made for it. They are lighter, have tires/suspension made for it and gearing suited to pavement.

Buggies are for tracks, plain and simple. Kind of like ST's. Can you run them in other venues, yes. But they are really made for a well groomed surface that is dirt. I've had both. Neither is all that fun on the street or in grass. After about 5 high speed passes on pavement, your bored anyway (well I was). Then I tried bashing in the places I have to bash (a lot of grass and parks), they just didn't get around very well.

MT's are much better suited for your typical runner who bashes in parks and plays on pavement occasionally. They are hella fun in the dirt as well!

it seems like everyone says I should get a Monster Truck. I will look into that. Also, can you do jumps without them flipping all over the place?

Yes... if your not a Spaz ;)

MT's are easier to flip due to the larger tires, but they don't "have" to flip. Usually, depending on the ramp, you have to try and flip, it doesn't just happen.

I own a buggy and a Savage X. If this is your first R/C I would vote for the savage. I have the savage to fill my everyday driving needs lol, it goes everywhere.

The buggy is for when I find nice packed dirt areas to run it on. Buggies can be used to bash, but only if you have the right terrain for it like I do. Buggies are a lot of fun to bash, they fly much higher than an MT out there, they just don't take the landings as well. They are very fast, but as people have said not great for rough terrarin. You can take them in cut grass, and it will do ok, its just not fun. I got a buggy becuase I had an onroad and a savage, and they are basically a mix.

You can easily control MTs in the air and they don't flip all over the place, but then fun part is learning to flip them on purpose. Hit a jump and nail the throttle and it'll do a back flip. Nail the breaks and it'll do a front flip. I've had my savage 10+ feet in the air and landed every which way with no broken parts. Buggies are durable, but take more skill to keep them in one piece when bashing, cuase they have to land right or you can be in trouble.

If you really want a buggy, I say go for it, but if all you have is grass and street its not your best option. I say get a Savage X, build a big ass jump and get some air.

*Just saw your link, that is a decent truck, but I would highly suggest the HPI Savage X here : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMCA1&P=ML

XRC did a review on the WarHead. The engine stinks (low peak power/torque, horrible power curve), the layout of the throttle linkage just looks bad for adjustments and general use, the diffs get crunchy in a short time, theirs had trans issues after a short time.

Are you opposed to the revo 3.3, savage, savage x, lst or even the mammoth? If money is a concern, the newer versions of the mammoth have ironed out some of the durability issues.

mammoth ST

Last edited:
Take the advice the others have suggested to you and get a Savage. I'm not a fan of Duratrash so IMO, I'd say look elsewhere than the one you posted a link to. I have a Revo that I race, I also race an LSP (truggy) and an XB8 (buggy). None of them are bashers though the Revo could be used for it. Haven't owned a Savage myself but they are a very reliable basher that will provide you with loads of fun and they are very durable so they won't break the bank having to buy replacement parts everytime you hit something.

AC48 said:
I own a buggy and a Savage X. If this is your first R/C I would vote for the savage. I have the savage to fill my everyday driving needs lol, it goes everywhere.

The buggy is for when I find nice packed dirt areas to run it on. Buggies can be used to bash, but only if you have the right terrain for it like I do. Buggies are a lot of fun to bash, they fly much higher than an MT out there, they just don't take the landings as well. They are very fast, but as people have said not great for rough terrarin. You can take them in cut grass, and it will do ok, its just not fun. I got a buggy becuase I had an onroad and a savage, and they are basically a mix.

You can easily control MTs in the air and they don't flip all over the place, but then fun part is learning to flip them on purpose. Hit a jump and nail the throttle and it'll do a back flip. Nail the breaks and it'll do a front flip. I've had my savage 10+ feet in the air and landed every which way with no broken parts. Buggies are durable, but take more skill to keep them in one piece when bashing, cuase they have to land right or you can be in trouble.

If you really want a buggy, I say go for it, but if all you have is grass and street its not your best option. I say get a Savage X, build a big ass jump and get some air.

*Just saw your link, that is a decent truck, but I would highly suggest the HPI Savage X here : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMCA1&P=ML

DAMN, this truck has so many optional parts available. It looks great. I will Definitely get this truck. Thanks!

I found this opitional motor for it. Is it a good idea to buy it?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJXT5

Yes there are tons of parts available for it, and its the most durable truck out of the box IMO. That is a good engine, but its overpriced for what it is, there are many other engines you can get that are better for that amount of money, but thats a topic for another thread.

It comes with the .25, but there are a ton of engines that will drop right into the savage. I'd get it as is (with the .25), run the crap out of it, then replace it with something better next season.

olds97_lss said:
It comes with the .25, but there are a ton of engines that will drop right into the savage. I'd get it as is (with the .25), run the crap out of it, then replace it with something better next season.

yea, you got a point there.

Yea, the F4.1 it comes with is actually pretty decent, it surprised me with its power. Its not overpowerd by any means, but the engine is very good for a RTR truck I think.