How to protect your stuff at the track...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I was reading a thread and it sparked a question in my mind. Since this week will be the first time I am going to go to the track with everything I have... ie, both RC's, and support equipment (starter boxes, big ass tackle box full of tools and spare parts, and an air compressor). I am new to this track and even though it is local, I do not know anybody. How to I protect all of my stuff while I am racing? After reading that thread and hearing about some of the stuff that goes on at the track it has me concerned about the safety of my stuff. I know these guys that race here are very Clichy. I don't want folks messing with my stuff, or heaven forbid steeling something. Now the area where you work on your rides is only about 30ft from the driver stand, but as you all know driving an RC at 20 30 MPH kinda takes all of your attention. Other than lock everything in the car for every race and then after your race while you are turn martialling (which you have to do, it is a requirement to race) what do you guys do to protect yourself? I don't have any friends there and no one to pit my stuff. What would you guys recomend?

Thanks

Tom

I just lock my stuff in the van, but since I can't legally drive on my own yet, I usually have a parent watching my stuff, so it's all good for me. But Next year when I will be able to go to the races myself, I intend on buying a lockable lid for the pick-up bed, then backing the truck up to the track (as close as possible anyway) then when I have to go race and martial, close the lid real quick and lock it.

I take everything in plastic bins. They have tops that fold over and have a place for a lock or a zip tie. Keep your table clean and uncluttered. If its a mess people will assume that you will have no clue if something is missing until its to late. Keep all your tools in your box and your box closed. Open your box, get a tool then close your box. If they can't see it, they can't take it.

It helps to pit with people you trust. Hopefully your pit neighbors will run different classes then you. Bring a friend to the track that can sit and watch your crap while your gone. My wife is great for this. She plants her ass in a chair and reads her books all day long. When I get back to the pit she asks how I did.

If someone wants you stuff bad enough they will take it. Don't make it easy and you wont be their primary target.

Ed hit it perfect tom....don't be a table slob....wrenching is much easier when you have a method to your area....I can set up my entire pit in about 5 mins if I bust ass to do it...10 if I take my time...and I bring a freakin garage w/ me...even for one buggy....Pit/box (tackle box) towel/starter box/DC power supply/battery Charger/Glow-bee/just bought a small air comp/ and a cooler for water and snacks.....but since I have everything well organized in things that not only transport the items they act as the pit spot for whatever I bring....so basically I open up a few boxes, lay down a towel, remove the starter box and hook up a couple of wires...done....when I race all my tools are in their bins hidden from site.....be methodical and life will go easier for ya.....

We never had any problems at our tracks with ppl messing with anyone's stuff or stealing. Just get a few big plastic storage tubs to keep things out of sight that you may be worried about. Keep your tools picked up and in your tool box when you are done tinkering and close the lid. Lay everything out that you will normally be using every week, the same way. I have a certain way I set everything up on my work bench at home and when I go to the track its all laid out the same. So if something gets missing or is moved, I will know it with just a glance.

Another good thing to do is pit away from anyone you don’t trust or in a way that keeps ppl from strolling by your pit and picking something up or tampering with your stuff. It’s not likely that anyone will steal your stuff, but if you are worried about tampering, pit amongst ppl in different classes. If you run 1/10th trucks, pit with guys running MT’s and buggies. They are not likely to tamper with your rig since you wont be racing in the same class and you’re not a threat to them.

Keeping your stuff locked in the van, car or truck will get old pretty fast when you have to move it 50 time in a day. Or you have 20 minutes between heats to do a 30 minute repair and it takes 5 minutes to get your stuff out and set up.

See that's the beauty of the pick-up bed w/ lockable lid. It's a pit table/transit device/lockable storage unit in one. Use the tailgate for working on you car, and put your tools behind the gate so you can just throw your car in when you need to lock it. And if you're like me, and like to get there early, you can pick your prime spot right up next to the track.

best thing to do, is take a friend or that fiance of yours along. plain and simple you need someone you trust until you learn how the track is. I've been to tracks with thiefs and tracks without. me and a few buddies have lost glow ignitors but thats about it, now mine has my name engraved on it. and btw, engraving your more expensive items isnt a bad idea, stuff like nice wrenches and starterboxes.

good suggestion, I engrave all my other tools a long time ago but never realized I never did my RC stuff....right in MY F'ING FACE

CorradoPsi said:
best thing to do, is take a friend or that fiance of yours along.

Wow Corrado.... I am surprised that got remembered. I figured I was so new to this site that no one knew who I was. Sorry, not making a big deal about things, but that's pretty cool when someone remembers stuff like that. Makes you feel like you do have friends on this site you know?

Anyway, you all make great points about keeping your stuff safe. I have my name plastered on everything and my dremel has an engraving tool on it so I will engrave the really expensive stuff. Being new, I just wanted to get an idea from people I trust as to what is a good idea for safety. I would love for my finance to come along but she has some errands that she would like to run Saturday so she will not be there. Most of my friends are not interested or think I waste my time and money playing with toys. So it looks like I am on my own. You guys gave me some great ideas and I will hit Target looking for a lockable bin, and some locks. Do you guys lock up your RC's in the bin when you are not running them? Thanks

Tom

man get some of those friends out there and see how many of them aren't amazed at what your "toys" are doing.....I got that all the time from guys at work but when I go visit a jobsite and bring a neat little toy they all watch it go and then beg me to let em try it...."I can't let you play w/ my toys...they are too childish for you"......nanny nanny boo boo

Plaidfish said:
man get some of those friends out there and see how many of them aren't amazed at what your "toys" are doing.....I got that all the time from guys at work but when I go visit a jobsite and bring a neat little toy they all watch it go and then beg me to let em try it...."I can't let you play w/ my toys...they are too childish for you"......nanny nanny boo boo

lol, ya, most of my friends too think they are stupid untill they see them in person...

i would go with ya and watch your poop but I'm kinda far away.. if you can't find a friend to go then maby go early a befriend someone there.. but puting everything in the tub and locking it is a good idea..

Tom, go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up the extra large rolling green tub with lockable lid from Rubbermaid. It will hold your buggy, a tool kit, tackle box, fuel, towel(s) and startert box, at least. It also can double as a seat once you are set up. All the pros at RCX had them. (of course, they probably do not worry about theft!)

Get a pitbull and chain him to a spike in the ground right by your pit table (pun very much so intended).

If you have a stationwagon or suv, it's perfect. Lift up the gate and keep your toolbox and other items in there while it's backed up to your table. When you're marshalling, put your equipment in the car. It's supposed to keep your things off the table but sl0eg1n and I have yet to see it happen. We don't need to worry about our things when we race ... usually! I guess we should start using more precautions. It's not the racers you ahve to watch out for, it's the spectators!

hey revo whats the price on one of those?? got a link??

Beason, no I do not have a link, but if you go to Lowes you cannot miss it. I found it over by the toolbox section, not the storage containers section. It is made by Rubbermaid, it is medium to dark green with orange handles, with the latching handle at the front. The dimensions are about 2-2 1/2 feet tall, 2 feet deep, and 3-4 feet wide. If I remember correctly it is only about 40-60 bucks. I almost bought one at Christmas to haul my stuff around.

a guy was messing around with cars at a local track and nobody could figure out who it was. finally one day a pretty nice guy at the track decided to hide his dv camera pointed right at his stuff. sure enough midway through his time at the track the idiot messed with his stuff and about 3 others around him. anyway the guy messing with it was a friend of the owner. at first the people confronted the owner and he got upset that they would say anything bla bla bla. however when the video was brought out, everything changed really quickly. he is now banned from the track.

point is, if you can get a dv cam to catch the kid in the act, if the owner doesn't do anything about it then they will lose thier business really quickly once people find out.