problem with hot boddies clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rice4life

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i put the new hot boddies heavy duty clutch in to day along with their 16T clutch bell. the truck ran good the first tank but after the second tank, the truck wouldn't stay idle, i notice that the clutch was sticking and keep stalling my engine. so, i tear the truck apart and the clutch is all screwed up. the clutch material is too soft that the heavy spring embeded itself into the clutch and the pin holes on the clutch were all stretch out. the clutch feel soft and rubbery where as the stock clutch is hard. i don't know if i got a bad batch of clutch or what, does anyone else have the same problem? i'm planning making a set of aluminum clutch for it like i did for my 1/8 buggy as soon as i have some free time.

i have a 3 shoe clutch set up in mine.. all i can say is wheelie popping time.. that was the best bang for a buck investment i made in my truck...

It must have been a bad one. I've been running one in mine and it runs strong. Ten times the improvement over the stock clutch. I inspected it when I changed my engine and it still looks new.

maybe my .25 is too much torque for it.

i got one in my 8 port its doing the same thing and the 8 port not broke in all the way.

I've just purchased the Hot Bodies clutch from Extreme RC Motor Sports (edward is GREAT), but have yet to install them on the Hyper 8port.

If this is something to be expected I may just go with a 3 shoe clutch and see if I get any better luck, cause I'm lazy and dont want to have to keep replacing clutch shoes :D

-WoodiE

Does MIP make a clutch for the Savage yet? If so I would try one of those, I put one in my T and my RS4 and they have been great.

Ok, nevermind I just went to MIP's site and unless they have not updated the site they don't make one yet for the Savage.

Last edited:
NCNitro - No that I know of MIP doesn't make one for the Savage, but I have heard people using the one for the Kyosho MP7.5 from MIP works. LINK

-WoodiE

does hotboddies have warrantee on there clutch. i don't know if $13 is worth the trouble.

Well, if it fits properly, and works, you might want to give one a try, the two I have have performed very well and I am quite happy with them.

Maybe an e-mail to mip is in order.

rice4life - I couldnt tell you anything about their warranty. There are no instructions that come with them and the package is very plain on top of that their website is STILL under construction so theres not much to go off of. :\

-WoodiE

When I was installing my HB's Hard Clutch Shoes one of them broke around the pivot pin hole, when I was trying to get the spring to seat on the retaining nut. I just bought a new set, you can find them for $9-Here is the link

Last edited:
i saw in the new issue of car action that GPM makes aluminum clutch for the savage now.

Originally posted by agm130
When I was installing my HB's Hard Clutch Shoes one of them broke around the pivot pin hole, when I was trying to get the spring to seat on the retaining nut. I just bought a new set, you can find them for $9-Here is the link

BLAH - I just started putting mine on today and guess what...I did the exact same thing. All I wanted to do was get this Savage up and running again.

Well its a trip up to Indy this weekend, I'm gonna try to get my hands on a set of the MIP MP-7.5 clutch shoes. I've heard people have used them and like them, so we'll see what happens.

-WoodiE

Cool, Another review, I was thinking about getting the same thing, but I just used one of my old shoes with the HB spring, works. I just went ahead and ordered another set of HB shoes.

My hot bodies clutch went out on me yesterday. I think I'm going to follow Woodie's suggestion and get the MIP clutch.

Hey, if its made for an Inferno it HAS TO BE good :bling:

Woodie - keep me posted on how it works out, I may just do the same.

i just installed the hb clutches on mine today very easy to insatll with the right tools and a little thinking. did not notice a really big change at least no weelies yet but shocks are messed up so that probably has something to do with it . but does grab faster. so after 2 tanks of fuel np problems yet

"knock on wood"

This is what mine looked like after 3 tanks. With the Hyper 21 8p
hbshoes.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's how mine looked like too, after 4 tanks.