Hyper .21 8-Port Racing Engine RESULTS!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
On paper, the hyper .21 race 8-port has the same horse power as the .26 picco outlaw (2.7 HP). I rescently bought one of these 8-port race engines for $165 on ebay . Friday, I dropped it in my 1/8th scale buggy (Hot Bodies Lightning Pro).

After a proper break in and a few extra tanks of gentle use, I took it out Sunday to see what it could do.

I only have FOUR WORDS to say about this engine:

OH

MY

$%^&ING

GOD

:OMG:

HOLY CRAP is this thing a beast!

I can't believe the bottom-end. I jam the throttle and the buggy jets off leaving only mad rooster tails in it's wake.

All my other engines are so weak I can kinda go "Vrooom Vrooom Vrooom" and slowly chase the kids around.

I can't even think about doing that with this engine. If I even breath on the throttle, it lunges 3 feet forward, foaming at the mouth like the demon seed of Davy Jones. The bottom end has major balls.

The top-end is no joke either. I wish I had a radar gun. I'd estimate this engine propels the buggy at least twice as fast as any of my other nitros.

Also, the whole time I was pushing the engine, it never peaked over 250 degrees (just after some WOT).

The current pipe, sadly, is from the weak stock .21 BB that came with the HB Lightning Pro. With the right pipe, the 8-port Race would surely kick even more butt.

In conclusion, the 8-port Race can stomp a hole in the ground and ask for more. This is a sweet engine. If you have a nitro that can take the heat, it's surely worth the cabbage.

( I would have put this in the buggy forum, but Savage owns have been known to get a kick out of this engine too as it's a direct fit. ;) )

This is the main reason my buggy has never touched pavement. They are too fast and too powerful to run on any public street or park. You need a track plain and simple or these "toys" are way too dangerous. If you dont have a track (I didnt) then inquire at your LHS for the want or need in your area. I did signup list at my LHS for interst and talked to some local land owners. It took me all of a week and we broke ground on a track. Rent a tractor thats all I can tell you!

LOL That's the way the Ofna LX Pro I drove was, those things are EVIL. And those .25 motors aren't at ALL weak :)

ruh roh, I think I can hear humboldtblazer gettin ready to sound off on OFNA's.

humboldtblazer, thats cool you started the track there. We have a buggy track about a 1/2 hour from here (hence why I wanted a buggy). They seem to take it very seriously. I haven't been able to make it up there yet.

I just dont like Ofna's for racing I have no other problem with them. the 9.5 PVB with .25 is a sweet ride now that I have seen one run in person. They are GREAT bashers. I just dont like when I hear people saying they might have race asperations and are looking to make an investment in an OFNA.:trout:

And for that engine it is AWESOME espically for that price!!!!! but I am sure you can guess who didnt make it............OFNA

OFNA doesn't make hardly anything espically their engines. They are either Picco engines or Force engines and the Hyper .21 8port race engine is made by Force with bigger bearings and a bigger crankshaft the the OG hyper 8 port.

Last edited:
You'll be more than happy when you see your HB own up on the track. The local's here always have the FIERCEST competition with the HB's and the Ofna's. The others just can't cut it. :)

Originally posted by AoD
You'll be more than happy when you see your HB own up on the track. The local's here always have the FIERCEST competition with the HB's and the Ofna's. The others just can't cut it. :)

Your kidding right saying the Hotbodies and Ofna's rule your local track right? Are there not K's, Mugens, Crono's, or Storms? Or are babies driving them?

Originally posted by NoviceRob

humboldtblazer, thats cool you started the track there. We have a buggy track about a 1/2 hour from here (hence why I wanted a buggy). They seem to take it very seriously. I haven't been able to make it up there yet.

From what I have seen (very little) Most 1/8 scale anything take it more seriouly than other classes. We got some local guys here 1 or 2 that are sticklers for rules and request that judges make sure that other racers are not cheating but on the most part people are relaxed and just want to have fun. This is at the club level we dont have anyone going to nationals around here if you know what I mean. I have to go down to Fast Eddys area if I want some "real" compitition. I pretty much smoke everybody by more than 3 laps in a 10 minute race but I will not pat myself on my back too much as most people are hackers and bashers around here. It is a lot of fun though (if people would stop trying to take me out because I always win). I did build/design the track though:p . When I go down to Delta RC I get smoked! I havent been there in a few months so maybe I have gotten better but its hard to tell against the people I race with.

Last edited:
I want to hit the track so bad. The wife and kids are the big hang up for me. I feel bad taking off and leaving my wife to control all three of the little monsters by herself.

life is tuff get a baby sitter! J/K I dont have kids so I can't say I understand but that is cool of you to not just up and leave her with all that responsability. I know a lot of people that do that I and I think its not right. I think you will really enjoy learning to drive/fly on a track. nothing IMO is as fun as a good dirt track.

The LHS owner was saying they were bringing in tons of dirt and "taking out the pipes" whatever that means. I assume it's a dirt track. I won't be buying any tires until I find out.

Do you know anyone that runs this engine? Do you know what pipe is good to run with it?

any compition one piece is going to fit but it will be pricy. I say start with a good inexpensive dual chamber adjustable pipe like say the Dynamite's dual chamber 1/8 offroad pipe for like $40. Any Rossi, RB, Paris, Sirio pipe is giong to be like as much as the engine you purchased.

I have yet to get a competition one piece for my Sirio and that is the reason the stock .21 is still installed with the Dynamite pipe I was talking about. You will notice a huge difference between the dual chamber and your stockie. Just make sure when you install it get the pipe and the end of the header as close togther as you can get it without touching to get the most off the line power. The further you put the pipe away from the end of the header the more top end or top speed you will get just know that is not really what your going for off-road.

one pieces are not adjustable. The pipes you see with the rubber piece connecting the pipe to the header are adjustable. I have heard great things about THS and that looks like a great deal but I have no first hand experience with it.

This is a dual chamber adjustable

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Detail.aspx?ProductID=DYN6606

I think the correct terminology is "tuned pipe" meaning adjustable or "one piece" which is a set distance between the header end and the pipe.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Detail.aspx?ProductID=DYN6612

and this is Dynamites one piece off road

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Detail.aspx?ProductID=DYN6612

That THS pipe is "Off-Road" so that means it's fixed at one setting for low-end, off-road racing. That sounds good to me and I too have read great things about it. How do I know if it's dual chamber? I can't find that spec on tower. Is there some other lingo?

nope thats a single chamber baffled pipe.

Back