Clutch bell help, please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavidhicks

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I need your guys' help getting the correct clutch bell.

This is the business end of a Picco Outlaw with Ofna's 3-shoe clutch kit and flywheel. (Part number 10266).

clutch.jpg

Bolted right on like a champ. I bought it from Tower and would have purchased an Ofna clutch bell from them too, except Tower only shows Ofna clutch bells up to 18 teeth and I need 22.

I bought this Racer's Edge clutch bell from Stormer. They don't show Ofna clutch bells over 18 teeth either.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?pn=RCE14922

It arrived today and it doesn't fit. The bell ID (15/16") does not cover the widest OD of clutch assembly (1") and the clutch bell depth is not sufficient, either.

Can someone tell me what 22T clutch bell I need?

I think I'm about to run into the same problem... I ordered that flywheel kit from Tower... DAMN
I am ordering a spacer from the CyberMaxx people to be able to use a stock setup though..
I'm going to keep searching for the cb....

Why do you NEED a 22 tooth clutchbell on a .21?

Dont know if this helps but I measured up my OFNA, Kyosho, and now Duratraxx clutch bells last night and they are all the same size....1 is off a .12 (three shoe) and 2 are off a .21 engine both 2 and three shoe)

Last edited:
Blazer, my engineering might be hosed up but I had previously put a lot of thought into this. The new UE differentials are the primary reason.

Originally posted by wdavidhicks

The new diffs are are a 16.14% increase over stock in ring & pinion ratio. This alone is going to give me quicker starts and a lower top speed if I changed nothing else. If I had a top speed of 42mph it's only going to be 36.16mph with the new diffs.

(Invert and convert to decimal ring & pinion ratios: stock 2.85:1 = .350877, UE 3.31:1 = .302114, 42mph / .350877 x .302114 = 36.16mph)

The stock 20T/72T clutch/spur is a 3.6:1 gear ratio. Going to a 22T bell lowers that ratio to 3.27:1. That's a decrease of only 9.1% in the clutch/spur ratio.

If an increase in ring & pinion ratio can be completely offset by a decrease in clutch/spur ratio, then a 24T clutch bell should provide no change in overall gear train ratio at all in the new setup by my calculations.

But I want quicker. So I want a 22T bell.

I had to work all this out for me anyway, so I didn't waste my time even if no one ever reads this.

Jeez, if I put an 18T bell on it I could probably climb trees with it...

i am going to run a 22t cb and a 66 t spur gear in my maxx. the XTM 24.7 puts out too much power so i am going to gear it for more speed to see if i can get it down a little bit. them damn wheelies.

bryan

Well Here's my simple answer.

My current set up for my Picco .26 and UE 7.5 Diffs:

Traxxas 22t Clutch bell and 65t Robinson Racing dual disk clutch/slipper.

All you should need is a standard T-maxx clutch bell.

However, you are now mixing manufacturer parts and shouldn't expect everything to fit perfect.

So before you buy a new Bell, try and see if your old stock bell will clear the 3 shoe. If it doesn't then, you've got some trimming to do.

No, no trimming. The bell would still only cover about 2/3 of the shoes. If I had gone the route that ImBroken took and bought a clutch similar to the Great Assembly kit he bought, I could put the spacer behind the flywheel and this bell would fit.

I bought that clutch because I knew it would bolt right up. I really didn't think I'd have a problem finding a 22T bell to fit.

I have the 65T RRP spur.

The stock 20/72 T-Maxx cb/s ratio is 3.60:1
The 22/65 cb/s ratio is 2.95:1

If I give in and bolt on the 18T my ratio goes to 3.61:1

I'm gonna keep looking. Thanks for your help guys.

Any luck with the cb ?? I got my spacer this afternoon, and everything lined up perfect... I also got that OFNA flywheel kit & I see what you are talking about... The Racers edge bell actually slides inside the cb that comes with the OFNA kit...

Back