Introduce me to large scale!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Tax time is coming soon, and provided I can sell off my Savage, and my 1:1 car doesn't cost me too much for repairs, I plan to buy a 1/5th scale.

These are currently the three I am looking at. (Unless somebody has a better suggestion) Questions below.

HPI Baja 5B SS 2.0 2014 1/5 Buggy Kit w/Clear Body (Fuelie 26S Gasoline Engine)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...y-Kit-w-Clear-Body-Fuelie-26S-Gasoline-Engine

HPI 1/5 Baja 5B SS Kit w/Clear Body (26cc Gasoline Engine)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...a-5B-SS-Kit-w-Clear-Body-26cc-Gasoline-Engine

Redcat Racing Rampage DuneRunner 4x4 V3 1/5 Scale 4wd Buggy w/30cc Gas Engine & 2.4GHz Radio
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...Scale-4wd-Buggy-w-30cc-Gas-Engine-24GHz-Radio

I don't know how much difference there is between the two HPI 5Bs, other than maybe one is the older version, in which then I would be likely to take the 2014.

I don't need a Tx/Rx, so that's not a bother.

2wd vs 4wd on a 1/5th scale?

Redcat 1/5th scales any good? Aftermarket?

Servos, what would I need? Is there something specific that I would need? Larger than the average servo?

What grade gas to run? I run premium in my car, lawn mower, and weed eater.

Best oil to mix with the gas?

Any other info you can get me started on would be great, thanks!

The Bajas are a good reliable buggy. There is a lot of aftermarket support. I have beat on mine and have had only the plastic under-body tray get torn. I'd definitely get another one with out hesitation.

I'd still avoid Redcat like the plague. Not a lot of aftermarket support.

As far as servos go, they actually make a large scale versions like this:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...eel-Gear-Digital-1-5-Scale-Servo-High-Voltage

I personally run mine with a bit more oil than some but I also run regular unleaded (87 octane) with no problems.

A lot of guys recommend the Klotz brand oil, I just buy a good synthetic oil and leave it at that.

If you're going to make the move to 1/5th scale one of your most useful things to can purchase would be a powered screwdriver with adjustable clutch and even more so if you plan on building one from kit form.

The Baja's are great cars and the Losi 5ive would certainly be worth looking at. Maybe even the DBXL. 2WD vs 4WD is always a personal preference. I've owned both the FG Monster Truck and the HPI Baja SS, both 2WD and my next large scale will be 4WD.

As far as gas, your normal unleaded gasoline with a 1:25 mix of good synthetic oil is what I use. Like Hamz said, Klotz is a common brand used as well as Royal Purple

Regardless of which 1/5th scale you go with, I can't recommend enough that you REALLY need to buy a @Killer RC kill switch for it.

Last edited:
I would normally look at Losi, but I think their 5th scale prices are a tad high compared to the 5B.

When you see how durable the losi 5uve is you will see why. The Baja needs upgrades to be as durable as a losi 5ive is out of the box. They all have there advantaged and disadvantages

Looks like my taxes might be short of what I was expecting, might have to pass on the 5th scale....

Alien I just want to point out from actual experience that the Rovans are excellent 1/5 scale buggies. Fully compatible with hpi parts. People that dog them have no had one, simple as that. Its the same rig, different carb, different finish on the plastic.

Alien I just want to point out from actual experience that the Rovans are excellent 1/5 scale buggies. Fully compatible with hpi parts. People that dog them have no had one, simple as that. Its the same rig, different carb, different finish on the plastic.

Thanks SNG. Where's the best place to buy Rovan?

Found the Rovan site. I like the knockoff Proline Trenchers they put on the buggy, lol. Looks pretty cool, and if it's all fully compatible it seems like a pretty good deal. Hopefully they are still on sale when I have enough money.

I've seen the king rovan 2wd in action man, wasn't bad at all

If they still have them, Hobby King's bajas are Rovan, they just dont list them as Rovan.

The king motors also seems to be the same type situation but with more bling.

Rovan's website has them for $449 w/ free shipping right now.

Dying to get my taxes back so I can fix my car and see if I'll have enough to buy one. If my Savvy sold I know I could cover it, but I'm doubtful on that.

I would avoid the Rovan only because of the complaints I've heard about them on various sites. If the money is there then I would only buy the HPI because of the peace of mind you'll have in the long run: no knockoff, you built it, not buying used and getting burned, etc. I think IMHO that the two best upgrades you can purchase for the Baja is the outerwears pull start cover and the tgn outer filter. I've ran only these upgrades on my 5SC rtr and I've got 5 gallons on mine without a hitch. I also run Klotz full synthetic at 25:1 89 octane along with an ounce of ethanol treatment.

I've seen a lot of the King Motors in my LHS for replacement of the plastic which doesn't seem to be as durable as the HPI parts.

I bashed mine and never broke a single part. Buddies running king motors are in the same boat.

The money isn't there for an HPI, and parts can be replaced/upgraded as far as I'm concerned. I don't really have a place yet for hardcore bashing anyway.

Next question, since people are paying attention to the thread again, what is the best place to buy parts? Best prices and stock.

This is the best place for large scale parts:

http://www.davesmotors.com/

I've dealt with them and never had a problem. They've also got parts for almost every brand of large scale that I've heard of.