HPI Optional HD Center Dog Bones

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Has anyone tried HPI's optional Silver Center Dog Bones?

86151 Heavy Duty Dog Bone (Center Front for Savage)
86152 Heavy Duty Dog Bone (Center Rear for Savage)

I am replacing all of my worn drive cups and I noticed that the "ears" on my stock black center dog bones have some slight wear. I would have to order the bones because none of my local shops have them. They only carry the stock bones. Are the optional silver bones worth the wait?

Those go right to the diffs instead of using drive cups on the diffs, correct? I already got the HD drive cups for the diffs.

Last edited:
I installed the HPI Universal dogbones. My truck rolls very smoothly. :)

build_48.jpg

build_49.jpg

I am thinking of doing the same. How does the performance of the truck when in motion. Is there any noticeable differences? People say to go Dog bones for the Fronts and Rears but I like the idea of having the Dogbones as back up to the Universals.

If I do and it will be in the summer the same time I may get the Fantom 27 for the Savage but My S-25 will have to be dead and out for that to happen. I just want smooth driving.

You talked me into the universals.

I think they are allowing the truck to roll smoother than the regular dogbones did when they were new. It is kind of tough to remember how the original stuff felt when it was new because my stockers have been shot for a while and they were binding up pretty bad. I also replaced the brake pads while I was installing the bones.

I'm getting vertigo tvp's. DO they make an extended cvd?

I believe the Vertigo TVP's will require a longer REAR dogbone. I think you can use:
Kyosho #IF143 Rear Ctr Drive Shaft MP7.5

I would still email customer support over at Vertigo Performance though..

Vertigo does send you a dog bone with the extended race this chassis. I want a cvd.

I found a good idea on this page. I covered both ends of the universal pins with a small dab of Shoe Goo. The Shoe Goo will hold the pins in place if the set screw loosens up.

ImBroken said:
I believe the Vertigo TVP's will require a longer REAR dogbone. I think you can use:
Kyosho #IF143 Rear Ctr Drive Shaft MP7.5

I would still email customer support over at Vertigo Performance though..

Vertigo TVP'S come with a stock length center shaft(Hardened) because they are not extneded that much..You put a rear shaft in the front as well..

Mark

rossb nice find there on the MIP CVD mod. i'll have to go back and do that to mine now...