[Pics] SS Transmission Damage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I burned 3 gallons with the stock S-25 and one gallon with a Picco 26. The last time I had the truck out I noticed that it would not roll backwards with the engine off. When I tried to push the truck backwards the wheels locked up. I put the truck on a box with all 4 wheels off the ground and tried to spin the spur with the motor off. I felt major resistance when I tried to spin the spur. I tried spinning the spur in both directions and felt resistance both ways. I pulled the motor and I still felt the same resistance on the spur gear with the motor out. I knew that there was a problem with the transmission so I pulled it. I found problems inside the transmission.

The second gear clutch arm wore into the plastic around the second gear engagement pin. This forced the pin towards one of the screw holes that retains the metal clutch holder plate. The screw hole broke and the screw and metal clutch holder plate were coming off second gear.

trans_01.jpg

The loose screw and clutch holder plate were wearing into the transmission case. There were bits of plastic all inside the case.

trans_02.jpg

Transmission parts

trans_03.jpg

trans_04.jpg

I need a new transmission case and a new second gear.

The teeth on all of my gears look fine. My reverse module is also in good condition.

great illustration rossb...sorry it went to sh*t. Maybe u will upgrade to the 3 speed?

I'm with wannarunem, get the three speed. I wouldnt even bother rebuilding that one, the parts will cost you more than a whole new tranny off ebay. I see them all the time go for under $20.

My truck is only 6 months old so it should still be covered by the warranty. I am going to send the two broken parts back to HPI and I am expecting them to be replaced for free. Even if I had to buy the two parts it would only cost me about $15. I am not going to buy a trans from eBay (probably used anyway), I am going to rebuild this one. The three speed is not available yet.

Nice carnage pics. :) Were you slamming back and forth between forwards and reverse? I was just wondering what caused the premature failure of the tranny.

Nice carnage...good pics (& labels). I'm sure HPI will replace the stuff for you for free. I've seen guys at the LHS send back stuff that I didn't think HPI would replace. But after a couple of weeks, the brown santa showed up and brought their replacement parts. HPI definitely looks out for their customers.

I had the exact same thing happen to one of my trannys.. Looked just like that.. Honestly I have been through 6 trannys with truck since I had it (I had one off the first shipment at my LHS) I think the savage tranny is pretty weak.. Wasp really did a number on it though.. but even my first 3/4 gallon, thats the first part i ever bought. The two speed mechanisam gives me the most trouble.

Now I buy trannys on ebay for $40 and rebuild them carefully. I take the second gear set screws out and locktite the poo out of em.. Do the second set screw mod and have had much more run time since.

can't wait to get my hands on a three speed. I am happy they are still making new stuff for these trucks.. This truck needs to be around a whiel... Hop ups are just starting to get good on them..

mcvickj said:
Were you slamming back and forth between forwards and reverse?

Not at all, that would destroy my reverse module. I only shift directions while holding the brakes at a standstill. After a shift I release the brakes and let it idle for a second before taking off very slowly.

This damage was caused by the trans shifting into second gear.

Back