Slipping transmission?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is what I thought originally... After messing with this thing for a few days trying to get the tune right (bad glow plug and all) I finally get it running top notch and ZZZZiiingggggggg the RPM's go up without speed. I thought at first it was the slipper clutch or engine clutch.. so I start checking into it and find the input shaft is turning, wheels are not. I never thought of checking the wheels or axles, I just assumed it was in the transmission. So today I pull the transmission, clean and inspect the oneway bearing on the output shaft gear, found a sheared pin for the 2speed clutch arm. I get everything back together and take it out for a spin... ZIiinnnnggggggg, it does it again... GRRRRRRRR I'm pissed at this point. WTH could it be now? I held the thing down to the ground and gave it all she had, axles are spinning like crazy, Left rear axle and Right front axle are spinning but the wheels aren't.

I'm off to the store to buy a new set of wheels/tires.

Question:
With a stock savage 21, would a set of Big Joes tires and Proline 40's be too much for this stock engine? Should I just stick with the stock size in a better rim?

I like the look of the Big Joes tires/proline combo and would rather go that route if its not going to kill the performance.

Piston said:
I held the thing down to the ground and gave it all she had, axles are spinning like crazy, Left rear axle and Right front axle are spinning but the wheels aren't.

The wheel hexes are stripped and/or missing or the wheels are not on tight enough.

Yep, found both wheels are cracked at the center and the hex's are now round. I have an excuse to buy new wheels now though, its all good :)

They were definatly tight, could hardly get the dam nuts loose.

If they are the stock Savage wheels then that is a common problem with them.I stripped mine out with the 21BB after about a 1/2 gallon.If your looking for Big Joes and 40 series rims might I suggest the Proline Outback Weld 40 series rims.They are designe for the TxT-1 but Savage Central sells adapters so you can use them on the Savage. I stripped 2 sets of Prolines with my Big Joes but haven't had any problem with the OutBack wheels after 7+ gallons of fuel.

Here an article about the adapters.
http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic758.html

Great tip Rex2342!! very insightful, think my next set of wheels are gonna be txt-1's. makes a bullet proof truck even more indestructable, considering new rims and rubber are not cheap:) especialy for a basher. need the money for all the other stuff we break lol.

I went ahead and got the proline w/Big Joes simply because the lhs didnt stock anything but those and the rpm (they didnt have the rpm's instock for the 40 series though). I did change to a 49T gear and OH MAN this thing is on it now!!! Takeoff is great and midrange actually pulls the front wheels with a Stock .21 lol

I am having trouble getting it to shift into 2nd though... I've tried to adjust the 2nd gear clutch but it just will not shift at any point. I think there may be a problem with the internal gear. I noticed it had sheared a pin off when I had it apart the other day.

Piston said:
I am having trouble getting it to shift into 2nd though... I've tried to adjust the 2nd gear clutch but it just will not shift at any point. I think there may be a problem with the internal gear. I noticed it had sheared a pin off when I had it apart the other day.
Could it be this pin? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLG8&P=M

I'm also having problem with the transmission, but mine's fairly brand new so I'll try adjusting the screw. I think what Nitrohead3000 said applies to you though.

nitrohead3000 said:
...after I had tried adjusting the tranny and tweaking the needle valves on the .46 motor the transmission still would not shift upon inspection of the tranny I discovered that the pin that the claw catches to shift into 2nd gear had worned down enough so the claw would not make good enough contact to shift into second. The solution required me to replace the pin, which I did, in fact I put two pins in.

I had noticed there used to be 2 pins there but one hole was opened. The other pin was ok so I installed a new pin in the open hole making it a total of 2 pins. Before it had a strange IN/OUT problem, it would shift in and out several times within afew seconds while going through the rpms. sometimes it would shift under wot and sometimes it would not.

My trouble is, I don't know if its the gear change, transmission cleaning it got, huge tire addition or the pin addition. I changed too many things at once so its backtrack time now I think. I'll put a set of stock rims/tires on it for testing then go from there.

According to the instruction manual, there's a steel ball and spring which are preassembled into the transmission clutch (part 86091). Is it possible that the ball is worn? I believe there's a reason why HPI includes the ball in the 2 speed maintenance kit http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000411146&I=LXDLH5&P=K

I don't know for sure since I haven't had my truck for that long, but I think the problem is inside the transmission box.

Oh, there's only one pin to start with anyways, even though there are 2 slots. But I don't think having the 2nd pin has anything to do with it.

Anyways, let us know how you go with it. I think it won't be long before I start having real problems with my transmission.

well I'm embarrased to tell what I found, but someone else might benifit from it later on so here goes.... :)

I installed the 2nd gear clutch backwards which wouldn't allow 2nd gear to engage or allow the entire truck to freewheel on decel. I was looking at the diagrams and the angle of the adjuster bolt then it dawned on me... YOU DOPE! its upside down lol. Tranny is back together (correctly this time) and I just need to run to the LHS to pickup a front center dogbone (broke the head right off today).

I can't wait to see what 2nd gear gives this thing... right now its pulling the wheels at times.

Back