Looking to buy a new Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laskow86

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone, i was just wondering what all of your opinions are on what is the best truck out on the market right now? I'm thinking about buying a new truck and have been looking at the tmaxx 3.3 and the savage ss 4.6, I've had both traxxas and hpi cars in the past and was wondering what ya'll have to say about them, I def want to buy a new truck and I'm waiting for taxes to get back so whats YOUR opinion? thanks

Do you plan to race at all? Or are you a stictly basher? If you plan to race youll find alot will recommend the revo. Its a tough truck and holds it own on the track. If your strictly a Basher, nothing beats a Savage. Tough as nails. The Savage SS is a kit, so youd need all electronics but is a awesome truck. (The new Savage X is Rtr and is a nice rig as well. Also the Savage 25 LE comes with the 3 speed tranny and some other hop ups)

not soo much for racing....just whipping around in the woods or on the ice

The savage can take one hell of a A$$ whopping. I have video to prove it. LOL

does that savage x have a 2 speed tranny, or reverse cuz i looked quick at the hpi page but nothing jumped out at me

Has 2 speed tranny.
Reverse is a part you will have to add on.

i have a t-maxx 3.3 and it is a blast. it has a 2 speed tranny and reverse. plus it has gobs of power.:)

I would go with a revo before going with a tmaxx. Its not that much more money and is a much newer design. From what I hear the revo bashes just as good as the savage.

I have a race revo so I can't comment on the bashing part of the truck.

I'm thinkin the 3.3 looks good. it comes stock with reverse...thats about the only thing that i see over the savage

Dude I'm telling you, soooo many people have gone with the tmaxx in the past and have put all kinds of money into it. Get either the revo (it has reverse) or the savage. I promise you won't regret it.

damn man what do u have against maxx's? i dont know yet... the savage le looks sick too, but its like $50 dolalrs for the reverse stuff

do you have the revo 3.3?

Just do some research on the tmaxx before you go and buy it. It costs alot of money to get it anywhere close the the revo or the savage. The money you pay for the savage and the reverse is less then your going to put into your maxx.

I'm just saying do some research.

Whats the revo have over the tmaxx.....all i can see is the gear ratios are a little larger in the revo but only by points..

Man, VB is telling you the truth! If you go with Traxxas, go with the Revo 3.3. You'll be happier in the long run.

The guys aren't going to mislead ya here.

This forum is why I bought my Savage. Haven't regretted it. That was 2 years ago with the .25. I never put reverse on it, don't need it that much. I would like to try the 3-speed.

Really comes down to the one question everyone asks.... Are you going to bash or race? Savage for bashing. Revo for racing.

Man the t-maxx is a money pit,i know, i owned one and got rid of it for that reason,the revo is a differn't design,better setup,look closelly at the two and there very differnt.i wouldn't buy a t-maxx ever again unless it had hop ups to hell on it.

I wanted to say something about it being a money pit. Since I never owned one I kept my mouth shut. Read some of the posts. Not impressed.

Think if I was buying one, it would be real close between the Revo and Savage. From what I have read and the vids I've seen, the Revo looks like a hell of a basher and a racer. Would be a hard decision. But just between those 2.

Yeah the Tmaxx is nice, but its day has came and passed already. There little 3.3 revamp did just enough to keep it updated but with the Revo out there, its always gonna be Traxxas old truck.

I'm kinda biased since I own a savage but I know I've been NOTHING but happy with it. The truck is tough as nails and fun as hell to drive. But I do know if people here say Revo is tough, then you can take that to the bank. (I did have a Tmaxx too. $1200 into it and it couldnt hold a candle to my STOCK Savage..pisses me off the money I had into that pig)