front wheel drive?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad sceintist

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
since we all have trouble with keeping the front down, what about front wheel drive.
i dont own a 4wd, or i would test it out. i know you can take a sport maxx and convert it into a 4wd, but what if you converted a tmaxx into a front wheel drive?
i dont mean just taking out the rear wheel drive line, i mean really doing some customizing and gearing it just right.

just a thought while i was kicking some tmaxx owners ass today, with my stampede. mainly cause mine is 2wd but also cause they had to let off gas to prevent from flipping out of control.

Well i know you're talking about off-roaders, but i've taken my ntc3 and done both rwd, and fwd and all you do is peel out a whole lot. Even with the highest gear ratios

I had problems with the 4wd on my t-maxx and I made it front wheel drive and it sucked! on the road the back would slide everywhere and on the dirt it would go fast, get bumpy in the front, slow down, and start all over again. it sucked so I fixed my 4wd and I am much more happy.

kwong what better peeling out or flipping backwards? atleast with a peel out your hp it getting to your wheels. maybe for onroad some foams would have worked better? just a siggestion i havent tried either.
mike c
just simply taking out the rwd part of a 4wd isnt what i was getting at.

what if you took the drive train and instead of fwd you make it engauge rearwheel(4wd) at a certain rpm?
I've seen some crazy stuff done with tmaxx trucks and this is just a begining thought of another one.

Sounds like you talking about a torque sensing 4wd or what they do with all wheel=drive cars

I've ran fwd and rwd with foams. It just peels out until you get past about 20mph and even then you can get them spinning pretty easy.

My friend racked his T-maxx and broke the rear drive shaft.. Front wheel drive just... sucks... period, end of sentence, you get the point. :)

aodalized
you didnt read the topic. i said eariler not to just take out the rwd of a 4wd tmaxx. ofcourse that would suck because its not geared right.
done witha custom drivetrain, it would have a different feel that what your friend did. and as i said an experiment.
do you get the point?

I understand the point, but it still wouldn't be good. Unless you wieght the thing down to keep it from spinning.

Front wheel drive cars a good because of the engine being right on the wheels. The wieght puts alot of pressure causing a high gain in traction. My experience in driving a snow plow sure of hell has taught me that wieght is one hell of a variable when it comes to traction. The more wieght, the more the tires will be able to stay in contact to the ground and produce traction. When you're empty, you might as well be trying to drive on ice skates :D

The big problem with front wheel drive is weight transfer. When you hit the gas, all the weight gets loaded on the back wheels. And thus, like kwong says, you just peel out. Wheelies can be addressed either through learning how ease into the throttle, or through weight distribution, or suspension set up.

HOw bout just keeping 4wd i think it would be alot better. Period.:naughty:

-Kellen

i was just trying to get around the lose of acceleration from popping wheelies

Well if you're looking to stop popping wheelies then i wouldn't recommend going 2wd, that'd just make it worse. You could just switch out the engine to one with less torque or, which would be the easier way, change the gearing to a higher gearing.

Last edited: