Local track race weekend

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I finally broke out the OLD Losi GTX and give it day at a local private track. I got there and it was a fairly small dirt oval with turns banked somewhat. At first I thought this was not going to be much fun but my view changed as I went out to get in some practice time. I'm a bit rusty after being away from racing for over 5 years but it is coming back. I was really surprised at how well the Losi ran. It had been sitting for several years and all I did was to recharge the battery pack and add fuel. Started right up and ran flawlessly all day. The rest of the guys were all fairly new to nitro off road and I quickly became the one to be asked the questions. I don't mind, I like to help when I can. Seveal where amazed at the amount of parts I carry along, to whick I just laugh because I got rid of probably half the stuff I had. Anyway, they anted to start trying to organize a race day. We managed to get two or three heats in before most were in the "pits" with trucks torn apart for repairs. The feature race never happened but I did win my heat. It was not a pretty sight but I won, and that's what counts. I'm looking forward to this weekend to go again and find a faster line around that track. This time I go with two Losi GTXs. I put another one together from parts at a total cost of about $50 and an curious as to how well that one will run. The theroy is a "Backup car" if this go bad with the primary truck. :dumb:
The guys there seemed very responsive to advice when I was asked what I thought. They said they are all rather new to nirto but ran electric so that was a help. They will learn quick then thigs will get a little tougher for the old guy with the excperience :write:

I love racing,
If no one is around Ill time my laps and try to improve each time.

Oval takes a lot of skill. I run a XXXNT on the paved oval when I have the chance. LOL Its never pretty.... Win ore loose, Have a great time.

Have you set up your Losi to run oval or are you running an even suspension setup?

Right now it is still basically set up like I used to run off road tracks. I adjusted the shock preloads a bit but I never ran ovals so I'm not sure exactly what I need to change. It ran pretty good but seemed to push quite a bit in the center of the turn. Guess I need to do a bit of homework on oval setups. There is no available data on the old GTX trucks. Any suggestions on general starting points would be appreciated as far as chambers and toe settings. I've raced off road courses but never ovals.

The name of the game is to minimize the chassis roll during the turns. It took me a while learn that I needed to think outside rather than inside while making adjustments.

Here are a few givens to get you going. I'm assuming you are turning left.

Run a spring 2 steps stiffer on the inside front and increase the ride height on the inside front as well. Doing this will help keep the weight transfer more even while riding the turn.

Keep a close eye on the outside front wheel, If its bouncing, thicken the oil 10-20 wt at a time until it gets better.

Align the front end so you have 0 camber while the tires are turned 1/4th left from center. Doing this will ensure more tire is on the track during a turn and provides more traction entering and during a turn when you really need it.

While the wheels are pointing forward, adjust the front toe right side to 0 and left side to 1-2 degrees out (pointing to the left). The right wheel will help you on the straightaway and the left will help pull you through the corners.

I like to adjust my trim on the TX so my truck goes in a striate line on the straightaways. All the adjustments you made will make it want to pull left, and thats what its all about.

With this setup, you will want to try to take the outside line on the back and front stretch and cut to the inside line entering a turn as you decelerate. Just at the midpoint of the turn you should be able get some trigger going and accelerate. Doing this will help drift you to the outside line for the back stretch so you can setup for the next turn.

He who can accelerate fastest out of a turn gets the best lap times assuming you stay on the track and off your lid.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The line you stated is pretty much what I found Sunday to be my fastest way around. All I need to do is get the suspension and steering set up to stop the slight push I was getting in about mid turn. When I would get back on the throttle the truch wanted to slide a bit too far to the outside for my liking. If I can get that to go away, then I think it will suit my driving style. For the most part the front end seemed pretty stable as far as the tires staying planted to the track considering the surface. I don't think I'm off by very much. Some may very well have been my own fault by getting back on the throttle a little bit too much, too soon. Some laps were really good, others not at all pretty. But then, that's racing, the least time you are off the throttle the better.
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try some or all and see what happens.

Back