How do you start your Maxx?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
I am intersted to hear how you start your T-Maxx. If you are still running the stock engine then I would guess you are using the Traxxas Ez-Start system.

The reason I am asking is becuase I just purchased an OS .15 CV-RX for my Maxx. Right now it currently has a pull starter. Just recently I ditched the PS on my NTC3 and went to a starter box. I thought I was in heaven.

For $30 bucks I can purchase an adapter so I can use the Ez-Start system with this new engine. My question is would you? What reasons would you give me for going with the Ez-Start system or sticking with the pull starter.

Does anyone know of a different way to start the Maxx without using the pull starter or the Ez-Start system?

Pull starters are the way to go. While the ez-start makes for fewer raw hands in the long run it's just waiting to puke on you.

Yeah, what El said. OWB failures, motor failures, having to charge a battery. I was thinking of the conversion also, but your engine should start in a few pulls anyway. Go with the pullstart.
Spend your money on a RRP Dbl Disk slipper or FOC conversion.
QTr.gif

I forgot to add, the only time I really missed the ez-start was when I was having engine problems and ended up spending a few hours total trying to get my savage dialed in, most of that time was spent trying to start it, however all that said I still like a pull start rather than an ez-start.

Usualy I get it going with the e-z start, then for the rest of the day I use the remote starter. It's nice not having to lean all over it, especialy in the heat.

PS here. I ditched that heavy ass EZ Start as soon as I could. Not only do you have to use a glow ignitor anyways because the blue wire does not seem to give enough juice to fire it up, it also makes the CG of the truck just way to high.

To answer your question, yes.

There is another way to start your engine. It is similar to a bump starter. Then there is the box. Either method requires some modification to your chassis.

I'll see if I can dig up the links on both.

I use pull start... Picco .26

Racer's Edge makes a "power starter" that allows you to use an electric drill. This little du-hickey points upward and you just use an extension with a socket on it to turn your motor.

http://www.racers-edge.com/images/re6000b.jpg

Stock Man, everything needs to be stock. If it ain't stock it ain't poop. :bunny:

Sorry, I'm suffering from "Holmwrecker Syndrome"

One question... I am sticking with the ez start... but is there anything i can do to get rid of this little blue wire??? it is really inoing and keeps on burning up, than i have to get a new one... please help!!!

Damn, way to dig through old forum posts from 4 years ago!!!

But to answer your question... the blue wire is the one that connects to the top of the glowplug correct? If so, then you can use a seperate glow starter. They are easy to use AND it will not drain the battery of your ez-start as quickly. Here is the setup "I" use but there are tons of others.
660battery.jpg

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=glow+starter&FVPROFIL=++

I use...

a pull starter and i'm happy with it. Like someone said before, the only time you regret it is when you have engine problems

Well we can't give them crap for not using the search button . :)

Thats no lie :LoL:

As for your question, I simply unpluged the blue wire and bought a 10.00 glow plug igniter. It works way better than the blue wire and uses a C battery. They also make rechargeable igniters for around 20.00 - 40.00 bux. Now days starting my Tmaxx is even easier...I just plug in the batteries and my brushless Novak does the rest ;)

Yeah, thanks... i bought a glow plug warmer and it works waaay better now. Thanks guys

I have ez start on one and pull start on the other. Both work fine.

Hey again... the whole glow plug thing is working out fine and all... but the fuel in my tank isn't going to the carbuerater. It will just sit in the line, doing nothing... help plz!

Hey again... the whole glow plug thing is working out fine and all... but the fuel in my tank isn't going to the carbuerater. It will just sit in the line, doing nothing... help plz!

I believe you're supposed to run the EZ Start for a bit and get the fuel all the way to the carb before you try to turn over the engine. So I think the process is like:
1. Run EZ Start and watch fuel
2. Fuel should reach carb
3. Stop EZ Start - if you keep using the EZ Start you could flood the engine
4. Put on the glow plug ignitor
5. Go with Ez Start again and start her up.
6. Remove the glow plug ignitor

I believe this is all correct. If I am wrong, someone will correct me pretty fast.