Airbrush Compressor Question(s)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey Folks-

I have a Central Pneumatic model S-34843 airbrush compressor that I bought used. Compressor came with no manual or other documentation, but runs just fine.

I've been researching this forum on airbrushing tips and the like and one constant I see repeated is maintaining consistent pressure. The sticker on the side of the compressor reads, "...with filter and regulator." I'm fairly confident I see the filter, and I know I need to get a moisture trap (something you can get locally?) but either I don't see the regulator or I don't understand how to adjust the regulator.

I'm hoping one of you experts can lend a hand.

Here's a picture of my compressor for your reference:

AirbrushCompressor.jpg

Any help, suggestions or tips appreciated! I've been hunting the web for an online manual with no luck so far.

Thanks again!

it looks like you got a moister trap allready..its the clear cup with the white filter inside...however i dont see a regulator just a pressure guage...you can get the regulator farley cheap you just screw it on the end that you have the hose on right now(most regulators are marked so u dont put them on back wards...all your have to do to adjust pressure is you will tighten the knob on the regulator to raise pressure and loosen it to drop pressure...also to drop pressure you must hold the trigger down on the fun to let the air out of the hose and cycle new air in for the new pressure...pretty simple the rest is just trial and error

you should be able to find a reg at sears or somewhere that sells a lot of compressors. they usually carry em as a repair part. if you can't find one that way, check out grainger. i've gotten a couple from them as well. how much pressure can you get from that one?

Thanks J, I appreciate it!

Truth, it looks like it'll top out at 40 lbs. or so. I've seen several threads indicating anywhere from 20-35 lbs. (depending on paint) is suggested.

Thanks again!

Monkey Wrench said:
it looks like it'll top out at 40 lbs. or so.
I don't know anything about those. Is it kicking off after 40lbs? If so maybe there is a way to adjust the switch?

As the other guys said, looks like you have a moisture trap.
Wal-Mart or any auto parts or hardware store should have a regulator.

hey...yea 25-30 is good...the only thing I've found with running on the 30-higher psi is that it is really easy to have the paint be forced onto the surface to fast and it will like spread out kind of like a splater there will be a dot of paint and then the paint will puch its self outward in little minature runs..very anoying when trying to paint in small detail....thus its better to run in the lower psi's and lightly build the color up in strokes....

on the bottom of the clear cylinder, that copper nut isnt the regulator screw is it?

hmmm....i would normally say no, but looking again, it does appear to be a little complicated for just a drain point. MW, you may want to try turning on it to see what happens. i think 4u may be on to something there.

If it is, Truth and 4U, I don't see it adjusting anything (i.e. the gauge never moves). I got a regulator for it today, so I'll see what happens.

Thanks fellas!

OK, need some additional guidance. I did put a regulator on it, but I think I need to add a tank. If I set it at 30 psi, soon as I hit the gun, it drops. Jumps back up when I let off the gun, but I gather from researching, I need to maintain a steady psi level for best performance. I've done some initial research on the web and have yet to find a small tank I can add to the mix. Still looking, but if anyone has any suggestions on just a tank, I welcome them.

One thing I've read that can be a problem on these smaller units is like you said. They can't hold a steady pressure. And if the motor is running while you're painting, you can get a pulsing through the tip of the brush which will cause your paint to spray irratically. When I paint, I use a 13 gallon compressor. I charge it to 125psi then turn it off. I'll spray until the tank gets down to 60 psi or so then recharge it before I paint again. I don't paint when the motor is running. As for a spare tank, I'm not sure what to suggest. I know at like Walmart you can buy an accessory tank for like $20. I think it holds like 6 or 7 gallons of air and has space for a regulator. I think it's good to over 125 psi, too. I'll see if I can find a link.

CM, in your opinion, think a 2 gallon tank would suffice, purely for airbrushing purposes? I have a line on one cheap that I think I'll try.

get a 5 gallon from pep boys...had all the nipples and compression fitting already for like 20 bucks.....I was trying to use a small can and it was doing the irradic stuff....I was ready to get a better gun but then my buddy figured out the air tank was the problem.....I run the compressor tank into a second 5 gallon....can't wait to get the small compressor hooked up on the bench w/ longer airhoses......you got a nice lil unit there.......you could get a combo dryer / regulator from Harbor freight for 8 bucks too and run 2 dryers inline for extra dryness (???)....

Thanks Plaid. I ended up grabbing that 2-gallon tank, as it was only $10.00. Got it hooked up, but I can't get more than 20 lbs. into the tank. No matter how long I let that little compressor run, I can never get it over 20. Not sure why, so any ideas, let me know.

leaks???
did you tape the threaded ports before you put the connectors on?
Maybe the compressor is going bad......it could have internal leaks......

I'm still with Truth and Andy. The air trap on there looks kinda complicated for just an air trap. All I have seen just had a simple petcock (sp?) on the bottom of the glass. Never seen one like that.

If all else fails, what about taking that off and put it on the output of the tank? Or just try it once without it? I would think the little compressor would fill up a 2 gallon tank.

You aren't trying to fill up the tank with an airbrush hose are you? (Don't flame me bro, just making sure.) That would take forever.

No, thanks Digger! Never thought to take that thing off and try it! I'll give it a shot and let ya'll know. Thanks for the tips!

Hi all, I know this post is way old, but I think I can help. I have a Central Pneumatic 34843, and yes it does have a regulator built into the moisture trap. In order to adjust/regulate the air, you turn/loosen the bottom brass screw on the moisture trap to decrease the air pressure, then tighten the nut above it to "lock in" your pressure. In order to increase the pressure, you loosen the screw enough to turn/tighten the screw to your desired pressure, then tighten the nut again.

I've had my compressor for a long time, but don't really use it much as I'm still trying to learn airbrushing. Life sorta has gotten in the way of learning and practicing. As I said, I know this post is old, but I wanted to chime in to help anyone who may have this compressor around, and wonder about the "missing" regulator. I don't have a manual for my compressor either, even Harbor Freight doesn't seem to have one. I just figured this out by trial and error on my own. I hope that this info is helpful to someone, even at this late date. This is about the only place online that I've really found reference to this air compressor, so again I hope the info is useful.