Charger question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Clark

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently picked up a used 7.2 volt battery charger from a Makita drill. I've never used Makita products before, so don't really know how it works, but I want to adapt the charger for my EZ start battery, seeing as the charger I have now is a 5 hour trickle charger, and the Makita is supposed to be 1 hour.

The question I have is: There are 3 contacts inside the charger where the battery plugs in. One positive, one negative, and one un-labeled. Between the (+) and (-) I get about 7 1/2 volts. Between the (-) and un-labeled contact, i get about 11 volts. There is also a red and yellow button on the front of the charger. I think the yellow is a reset, and the red starts the charging cycle, but I'm not sure.

The only time I get the voltages I mentioned, is when I press the red button, and hold it. As soon as I release it, it shuts off.

Anyone have any idea how to rig up one of these things properly to charge my battery, or is it screwed?

Hmm I am sure it can be done but I don't think i would recommend it becuase its possible to ruin the charger the battery or both. X

I use Makita batteries for my easy start(see pic)
The corner tab is used for the 9.6v battery. Wire according to my pic and you will be fine. Makita uses the same frame for both the 9.6v and the 7.2v tools.On some models they charged both, like yours, To make sure you have it right just monitor the battery temp with you IR temp gauge (if you have one) anything ove 120f pull the plug. If need more help Just ask:D .

Oh yeah on your charger you will see a groove notched out so the battery can only be put in one way. My battery is negative=notch.

Attachments

• battery 1.jpg
    battery 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 136
Last edited: