Kinda big block in a yokomo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone got a noobie question here. I'm coming from a 1/8th scale buggy and monster truck background. I just ordered a new yokomo gt4 rtr. And I'm looking for another car to add to the stable for the old lady to play with too. Any how I was wanting to make the yokomo faster. I have been seeing the picco .21 for the tmaxx,being a direct drop in.And I know the tmaxx has a .15 stock. So I was just wanting to know if it would be a drop in affair? I see that the engine says its a big block in a medium block? Also would the engine probably fit into a ntc3 too? thanks for your input

if it was up to me i wouldnt put in a picco .21 into a yokomo.. its probably wont go a whole lot faster than the stock because it has generally low rpm's and for that money you could buy a pretty decent .12 smallblock that revs much more which would increase your speed. You might want to think about putting a .18 fantom into that yokomo to really make it go it revs 41k rpm and 1.95 hp !

maxim240sx said:
Hey everyone got a noobie question here. I'm coming from a 1/8th scale buggy and monster truck background. I just ordered a new yokomo gt4 rtr. And I'm looking for another car to add to the stable for the old lady to play with too. Any how I was wanting to make the yokomo faster. I have been seeing the picco .21 for the tmaxx,being a direct drop in.And I know the tmaxx has a .15 stock. So I was just wanting to know if it would be a drop in affair? I see that the engine says its a big block in a medium block? Also would the engine probably fit into a ntc3 too? thanks for your input

I don't know about the yokomo, but I have an NTC3 and those are made for small blocks up to a .15 and also the new OS .18 since it's a small block. You could probably put a big block in there with a shoe horn and lot's of fabrication. Honestly though, put a high performance .12 in there. My brother has an RB V12 3 port in his and it really moves. I have an RB X12 5port Turbo in mine and moves just as well.

Just for sake of arguement, I also have a Schumacher Fusion.21 and just because it has a bigblock and 3 speed doesn't mean a thing. My brother's V12 can take me off the line but when I hit second gear, I slingshot into hyperspace. Where he putters out, I am just kicking in. Straight line I'll take him, when it comes to turns he'll take me because of the higher CG of the .21 BB engine in my schumacher. I have yet to hit third gear and I know that I'll never hit it on a regular track. I would need 1 1/2 football fields to reach the claimed top speed of 70+ mph.

You have to determine what type of speed you're reaching for. Perceivable speed or actual speed. My Schumacher has overall actual speed. My NTC3 has speed also but is more suited for a track.

So will the fantom .18 be a direct drop in? Or will it require modification to fit?

Couldn't tell ya since I have no experience with Fantom's as well as Yokomo's. I guess it would if it was a small block .18 like the OS engine. BUT as I said, there are a lot of .12's that will out perform the .15's as well as .18's.

The Sirio Evo2 (190 from trinity site) is one of them but for a few dollars more the RB V12(220@my LHS) is my choice. TOP (rebadged Novarossi) is even more.

Yeah I just did some lookin on ebay and I was wondering what to look for in a higher performance engine? I had a kanai III buggy with a picco werks p3 .26 and it was just overkill. Actually too much for the buggy. So I guess having the most hp isn't always gonna make you the fastest? So for the 1/10th cars you wanna stay with the hot small blocks like .12 and .15? This may sound dirty,but what about the trx2.5? All the reviews I've seen loved it.

maxim240sx said:
Yeah I just did some lookin on ebay and I was wondering what to look for in a higher performance engine? I had a kanai III buggy with a picco werks p3 .26 and it was just overkill. Actually too much for the buggy. So I guess having the most hp isn't always gonna make you the fastest? So for the 1/10th cars you wanna stay with the hot small blocks like .12 and .15? This may sound dirty,but what about the trx2.5? All the reviews I've seen loved it.

the traxxas mill is ok, but in stock form it runs very hot and can be a pain to tune. when you change the carb to an O.S. slide carb, and get an aftermarket head for it. it will perform well and stay within resonable temps. however by the time youved bought all that, you could have had a much nicer engine and not had to modify it to get there. the RB's mentioned are very nice, I'm also very happy with my fantom .15. the fantom 18 will bolt into your yokomo provided your car meets these requirements. std threaded or SG shaft, slide carb, rear exhaust. and depending on how fantom is optioning them out these days you *may* have to buy a traxxas pullstart for it, unless you use a starter box. since the motor is intended as a bolt in for the T-Maxx it has a backplate setup for the EZ-start system, which is why you may need the traxxas pullstart. sirio i belive also makes a .18 that will drop into your car, again in std threaded or SG shaft, slide carb, and this one is side exhaust and might have rear exhaust as an option. i didnt look into that though cause i was considering it for my HPI's and they are all side exhaust. the fantom can be had at stormer racing for about 150 and i belive the sirio goes for around 200. both rated at about 1.9hp.

hope that helps,
chris

Well bad news.I got the car up and running.Get her properly broke in and tuned. I was outside in the culdasec doing some high speed runs. All the sudden the little neighbors brat runs his scooter right out in front of me. I T-bone him. Wedged my yoko right under the scoot. Kids fine,didn't even touch him. I just busted up my brand new car.Broke the front shock tower,right font shock,and bent shock shaft. Shoulda been drivin my savage and then I'da broke his leg

you think thats bad. the guys and i were out racing last year, we had the parking lot coned off (we have permission to do this) and some yutz rides his gay honda goldwing through and right over someones hooked up super nitro. he says "oh, i didnt even see it". then rides off not even offering to pay for the damage, which was in the hundreds

That sucks...how can you not notice a ~2-foot long car with a loud exhaust driving around a coned off parking lot? The fact that he didn't even offer to pay just adds insult to injury. I send your friend my condolences.

Hey gtr... does the hpi shocks bolt right up? I need to get some replacements for the front from the damage. And hopup parts are slim for the yoko. Did you just use rs4 3 shocks?

I actually used shocks from a Racer 2. It uses a ball stud mounting system, so I just put the ball studs in the holes where the screws hold the shocks on. It works great. I'm not sure about an RS4 3, though.

NitroM3GTR said:
I actually used shocks from a Racer 2. It uses a ball stud mounting system, so I just put the ball studs in the holes where the screws hold the shocks on. It works great. I'm not sure about an RS4 3, though.

yeah rs4-3 stuff will work as well. if you check ebay for "rs4". there are always GPM anodized aluminum threaded shocks going for around 20 bux/set of 2 in a rainbow of colors. just about any brand 1/10 on-road car shock will fit. I've been eyeing up a set of NEO shocks myself for my super nitro since i can get a set of 4 at my LHS for $50.