Whats the best 1/8 buggy for racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_the_revo_man

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys got a mega race buzz from my revo but really want a buggy. Looking for the best brands. Not really sure which are the best but I really like the Kyosho buggies but not sure which model. Don't mind it it comes as a kit or with no electronics or engine. Attached images would help alot.
Thanks Sam:first_place:

are you wanting electric or nitro?

Man, has this question been asked a few times! We can beat this one around for days. I remember when folks said the Kanai buggies were the shizzle. I've been away for a while so it will be interesting to see what one needs to keep up with the Jones' these days. My answer to this question has always been the same. Buy something that has great parts support both factory and aftermarket. Keep in mind what kind of support you LHS can also provide. Chances are that whatever you get won't stay stock for long. Enjoy!

militarymaxx, i here what your saying, but the t/tiger EB4 s2 pro has been held by my LHS for FOUR YEARS !! granted, parts are by order only, but hey, what's new.

Started the tear down / rebuild of my Storm today. I think I might be in the market for a newer buggy as well. I sometimes struggle with which one is better because afterall, aren't they all pretty much the same? In design at least, maybe not in workmanship or quality but aren't all buggies the same on the surface? I guess another thing I look at is what kind of buggy am I getting out of the box. We all know that with the aftermarket support we can make them better than factory. I suppose the big difference might be how close to perfect it is out of the box and how much or how little will it cost me to get it there. Sam_the_revo_man.....instead of asking what's the best, maybe we should hear what's the worst.

DURATRAX atre DEFINATLEY to be AVOIDED !!! ask anyone on here about them !!!

What's your opinion on the CEN products and the REDCAT stuff?

Last edited:
Avoid CEN's RTR products, they are cheap. Redcat i have heard good and bad, but remember you'll be stuck with mail order parts only. I have never seen a hobby shop with their products.
The XTM racing XT2 buggy is getting some excellent reviews and is priced low.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145625.asp
Myself, I would recommend an Ofna. They make very durable buggies with parts that are easy to find. They have a lot of buggies for 300-400 bucks.

Last edited:
XRay XB808...'nuff said.

The Mugen MBX6 and the newest Kyosho, the X-Ray and the Losi 8 2.0 are the top dogs. The MBX6's are really impressive, seeing a lot of them in the top 3 positions around here.

I think I'm going to get the losi 8ight truggy. Looks awesome. Big engine great racing ability and really strong. Thanks for the help

I just went to the team xray site and checked out the new XB808 and I must say that I don't see where we have moved to the next level of 1/8 scale. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine but I see many similarities with my dated Storm. What I see is pieces/parts that in the past were aftermarket upgrades are now standard and that's great. We're getting a better product out of the box but is there something out there that is cutting edge for the 1/8 scale buggies? Remember how radical the REVO's suspension was when it came out? Something extreme. Heck, I'd still get one!

I just went to the team xray site and checked out the new XB808 and I must say that I don't see where we have moved to the next level of 1/8 scale. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine but I see many similarities with my dated Storm. What I see is pieces/parts that in the past were aftermarket upgrades are now standard and that's great. We're getting a better product out of the box but is there something out there that is cutting edge for the 1/8 scale buggies? Remember how radical the REVO's suspension was when it came out? Something extreme. Heck, I'd still get one!

Team Xray's Active Differential is pretty cutting edge if you ask me. So is Team Losi's Tuned Flex Chassis. Pretty fancy shtuff.

Put your storm on a track with any of the above mentioned new models....that's where you'll see the difference. Most of these buggies are only 6.5 lbs. roughly. Weight distrubution is TOTALLY different on the new models. Where an older tech buggy will have to let off the throttle, these beg for more!

LOSI 8IGHT all the way, love mine

redcat

redcat monsoon is the only way to go, i have 3 of them . fastest thing at my local track, as far as dealers, you will see them everywere soon, there a new company, get on board before everyone caches on . than the demand goes up so do the $$$$:first_place:

redcat monsoon is the only way to go, i have 3 of them . fastest thing at my local track, as far as dealers, you will see them everywere soon, there a new company, get on board before everyone caches on . than the demand goes up so do the $$$$:first_place:

The Monsoon is a truggy and not a buggy.

That said, the new Monsoon VTX model (not the older XP) is surprisingly well put together and a great vlue for the price. Since Redcat took over the Team VTX manufacturing line earlier this year the quality and capability of their products has improved tremendously. I wouldn't put it up at the ranks of Losi/Team Associated/Kyosho but it's definitely in the same ranks as OFNA or Thunder Tiger... and less expensive.

I liken Redcat to the Hyundai of the RC world. 10 years ago Hyundai's were cheap "meh" cars but now are considered on par with Toyota & Honda in quality & value. If Redcat keeps things going in the right direction and continues to focus on the racing side of the hobby they might be the next Losi.

Back