Savage 25 3 Speed Tranny.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I answered a question about this yesterday, but I wanted to be clear of it. What I see on the Savage 25 is that there is only one gear that the CB spins, but then inside the case I find the three spur gears, then three gears, and one gear that spins the other gear on the shaft below it. Then of course, there is the shaft with the gear under that leads to the whole car. So I was wondering how this would work. I see on my MTX-3 (On-Road) that the engine is spinning a CB that has the two pinions on it that spins two spur gears, so I'm pretty much used to that. So can someone explain to me how the Savage three speed transmission works? Thanks!

-Coby.

Been a while since I put the 3 speed kit in mine, but there are 2 centrifugal cogs, one to hook 2nd, then the next one will hook 3rd. If I'm not getting confused with another trans, I believe there were one way bearings that would allow the gears to coast freely when the higher gears were engaged.

Oh, so if I have the 3 speed in there I can't get reverse with the reverse module? Just to make sure that you aren't confused with another tranny, it's like this one:
3speed.jpg

I put in the 3 speed kit and the reverse module at the same time. It's been awhile, but I think the module would lay in the space that's been cut away in that pic. On the back side of the pic would be the rubber plug for the adjustment, and the other centrifugal cog can not be accessed from the outside.

Oh okay. I'm actually kind of confused right now, which one is the centrifugal cog? I'm pretty sure I know what everything else is but the cogs.

I've done the same exact as Rolex has (minus all the bling). My Savage has both the 3 speed and the reverse module. The reverse module fits in that open space to the right of the bottom gear in that cross-chop picture.

You have to partially disassemble that middle shaft to get at the 1-2 shift point. That's the key reason I recommend getting the X center case. It makes that adjustment a breeze, compared to the old .25 case.

Oh okay. Do you know a place where they only sell the case? I can only find it as the whole 3-speed kit.

And what is the centrifugal cog?

Ah, it's all coming back to me now. On the bottom right, isn't the tab setup for the linkage?
On the center spindle, the first gear on the left has the centrifugal cog inside. You can just barely see the access hole on the bottom of it.
On mine, the one on the right sits inside that black gear with no access to the adjustment without pulling the trans apart.

There's the access slot, and there are the stops inside that the centrifugal cog locks onto once it flips out.
shift_3.jpg

Here you can see the pin that it pivots on, and I'm compressing the spring with my thumbnail to swing out the cog.
shift_2.jpg

So the centrifugal cog is the one that grabs onto the the gear, right? The MTX-3 has it, but it looks different on the Savage.

Why do you need a case?
Tower has it for $20, you can get the 3 speed kit for $59 and install it into your existing trans, or you can get the completed trans for $89, I think. The reverse module was another 39 or 49.

Why do you need a case?
I forgot who said it, but they said that the Savage X case was easier to adjust because of the case.

The one you posted was only for the 2-speed. I need the 3-speed case.

Psh, I knew that -.-

Lol. Thank you Rolex and HeartBreak! I really learned something today :D.

Back